BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/26/2021 1:05:30 PM EDT
My wife has a lovely new F150.

I have an old 2003 V8 sedan.

If we NEED the truck, we take it. But if the sedan will suffice I will take that. Partially as its "my" vehicle, partially because I love old V8 sedans, partially because she is untidy and "her" vehicle reflects that ( my vehicle is immaculate and everything is stowed neatly )

Seems to me a lot of people who only have ONE vehicle, choose to buy a SUV or truck when they have no need of it ( load bed will never get used for anything that would not have fitted in trunk or 4x4 will never go off road )

So it must be a lifestyle choice ? Dont get me wrong - land of the free and all that - do whatever floats your boat. Lifestyle choice IS a valid reason.

Just curious how many of you have trucks / SUVs for the looks rather NEEDING their features ?

EDIT

Perhaps lifestyle choice was a poorly chosen phrase.

People who actually USE their SUV / trucks features are not who I am referring to.

I am referring to those who choose 4x4 but never venture off road / in snowbound roads.

Or choose a truck but never carry more than grocery shopping.

They do it for the looks / image or whatever ?

Like a vehicle version of tacticool ? Like the guy who accesorises his AR with stuff he will never need nor use.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Username / Avatar checks out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Dirt bikes and livestock, I need a truck.
Wife drives an suv because it snows here and the roads get shitty, also sits her up higher for better visibility.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Want a 3/4 ton, need a 3/4 ton. Plus I like the fuck out of it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
My truck is necessary for me as a farmer. When I drove a sedan, I was able to get by but only because other people on the farm had trucks that could be used.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I currently have a 2015 sedan (gets me to work) and a 1997 land cruiser for fun.

I am considering replacing both with a modern SUV.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Need a SUV in the fleet for 4x4 off road use.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, and as far as 4WD being unnecessary, if you live in North Dakota and plan to drive anywhere that's not a highway, you need it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I drive a Focus, and the lady has an old Pontiac G6, I also have a Mustang for a giggle car. I would love to replace her G6 with a new pickup.

I don't really NEED a pickup, but it would be convenient for home improvement projects.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Haul and tow a lot, boyh business and pleasure.
That said, bought a POS beater car to keep miles off trucks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Driving a Compact SUV that is issued by my company. My problem isn't that I need something like a truck for my job it's that my 6'5" ass doesn't fit in a GD equinox.

I also can't pull my SxS that I use at our farm. I can't get to my farm and around the 3000+ acres in that little piece of shit either. But again that car is not from my farm, it's for my city job.

I gave my F150 to my mother so she can get to and around the farm.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Just because you don't see most trucks driving around hauling lumber or whatever on your M-F commute doesn't mean they don't get regular use.

Also, "need" is a much more complicated concept than you seem to accept. I could live in a 1BR apartment somewhere and just put around in an economy car or, in the right city, use public transportation. But that's not how I want to live my life.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I live in PA, I think our road quality is ranked 48th of the 50 states

Many folks here drive trucks because they got sick of constantly replacing suspension parts on their cars

Speed
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dirt bikes and livestock, I need a truck.
Wife drives an suv because it snows here and the roads get shitty, also sits her up higher for better visibility.
View Quote

@azarak512  I feel better knowing her and little man are slightly safer in an SUV not that it’s snowing very bad at the moment.

For OP I need my truck to haul around our camper and various loads of shit my wife buys or building stuff I get.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I own 8 vehicles.  Two hotrods, a small ford focus for my daughter in college, my wife's honda pilot which we need the storage when we go on vacation, an old ratty ford ranger which is my daily driver, an old camry that I need to fix the starter on (just sitting next to my shop because it is too damned cold to work on it outside right now), a 15 year old bmw that my wife usually drives around, and a 10 year old F150 which usually only gets driven for hunting or hauling stuff.

So we use our truck to haul stuff, the ranger was purchased 17 years ago for 2k because the price was right and is still chugging away to this day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I need something with enough cargo space to haul two babies, all associated baby gear, my wife's stuff, and hopefully my stuff.  I also prefer AWD to handle snow.  My Jeep Grand Cherokee is just a smidge too small to load up everything.  I'm looking at Tellurides right now to get a little more cargo room.  If I find I still need room I'll probably end up with a minivan.  I have no need for a truck that an occasional 2 hour rental from Home Depot can't fulfill for much less money.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Drive a 3/4 ton cclb.  Really need a 1 ton dually, dont want the extra aggravation.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a truck and a fun car. My truck is a F150 supercrew and my car a Focus ST which btw is a hoot to drive.

I live in a rural area and need the truck to take out the trash and support my frequent trips to Lowes. I also use it to put in/take out my boat.

So yes, I need a truck.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I am 6'3" and two reconstructed knees from work related injuries.  I cannot get in and out of or travel any distance in a car comfortably.  

I also burn firewood.

NEED.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Want a 3/4 ton, need a 3/4 ton. Plus I like the fuck out of it.
View Quote

I pull a 10,000 pound boat with it. Also daily driver and winter IDAGFmobile.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I live in PA, I think our road quality is ranked 48th of the 50 states

Many folks here drive trucks because they got sick of constantly replacing suspension parts on their cars

Speed
View Quote

PA has roads that would make a rock buggy cry.  Road collapsing off a cliff?  Just throw a cone up and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Total life style choice, we choose the rural lifestyle with animals and property plus having a travel trailer so that means a truck is necessary.   We don't have to have all of this but be choose to.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]
My truck gets used as a truck. I needed a truck, so I bought a truck.

Do most people “need” what they are driving? No. But if they “want” it then I give no fucks what they drive or why.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I tow stuff 3-4 days a week in the summer my last two trucks have been 2500 hd 1 gas and 1 diesel.  Do I need the diesel probably not but that’s what I wanted.

I used to have a car I couldn’t get up to camp with it so
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I use my F150 super crew all the time for various things, but I don't live in an apartment anymore and live in a single family home.

If I ever had to move back into an apartment, condo or similar I would probably get a midsized SUV or a smaller truck like a Ranger, Frontier or Tacoma.

I just like the utility of being able to haul larger stuff when needed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#26]
We have acreage and a house in the burbs.  We need/use our trucks and SUV daily.  A car doesn't do anything a truck or SUV can do better.  Considering the lack of utility vs gas mileage a car is nearly useless to us.  If I could get a car that got +60mpg it might be worth it for just commuting and puttering around town if it was considerably cheaper than a truck/SUV and just as safe in a crash.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Need it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#28]
If by lifestyle choice, you mean living a lifestyle where my vehicle isn't my most limiting factor for what I need to do, then yes.

Otherwise, no.

Everything is a lifestyle choice other than the basic needs of food, shelter and clothing.  And I'm not so sure about clothing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I haul stuff .
I also like sitting up higher in a safer position and safer vehicle than a granola powered puddle jumper.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Need. I'm country folk.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I have an acreage, have toys that need hauling, shit that needs moved, and a steed driveway that’s impassable in the winters without at least AWD.

I wish I didn’t need a truck. Lots of cool cars and shit I’d love to own. Hell, I’d love a bronco, but I can only really justify it as a third vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#32]
need.

I don't like the term, but I definitely need a tougher vehicle than a sedan where I live. Even the "good" roads are still boiled anus.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#33]
What's wrong with wanting something that is not needed?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#35]
As a home owner I feel I need a truck. I lived with a SUV for years but a truck is much better.

I may downsize to a Taco sized truck in the future but a truck is a must.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#36]
can I mount my snow plow on it and pull my 5th wheel with it?  Those are my only needs
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I should have bought a 3/4 ton. On the farm I end up hauling a lot of shit that stretches my half ton further than I like.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#38]
As a truck owner I can't tell from how many times ask to borrow the truck because they dont have it.I also have a sedan that is my dd.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I never understood why people contemplate these questions.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I traded my truck and car in on my SUV. I rarely used the truck anymore, and the car didn't quite do what I needed. My SUV is an ideal compromise for my needs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#42]
A truck is a need for us for cutting firewood, hauling quads and dirt bikes, dump runs, etc... But we do not need a fancy, expensive truck. In fact, we just sold my 2013 3/4 ton Chevy because we didn't need that much truck. And I sold it (to a dealership of all places) for the same amount I paid for it 5 years and 50,000 miles ago. I bought a Mustang GT instead and then we bought an older 4x4 Dodge for all our truck needs. My daily driver is a 2018 Nissan Altima and my wife daily drives a 2018 JKU Wrangler.

I just realized all our newer cars are 2018 models, the GT is also from that year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Boat, landscape trailer, firewood, backhoe, dirt bikes, constantly dragging home new machinery...

A truck is so much a part of my life I wonder what my life would be like if I had never bought one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just because you don't see most trucks driving around hauling lumber or whatever on your M-F commute doesn't mean they don't get regular use.

Also, "need" is a much more complicated concept than you seem to accept. I could live in a 1BR apartment somewhere and just put around in an economy car or, in the right city, use public transportation. But that's not how I want to live my life.
View Quote
I also think he's confusing lifestyle with status symbol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My daily driver is not really useful for big grocery runs or trips to Home Depot.  
View Quote

Don't you just hate it when you're leaving Whole Foods carrying your groceries and you go to open your trunk and there is a fuckin engine in the way?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#46]
An SUV would make things significantly easier for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Tow a boat, a travel trailer, a snowmobile trailer, and carry snowmobiles and motorcycles. Definitely need a truck.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I pull a 10,000 pound boat with it. Also daily driver and winter IDAGFmobile.
View Quote

I was doing that (8-14,000), or more 5-6 days a week. I've slacked off on it recently but still need to tow a few times a week. Not saying any of that was legal, I'm only tagged for 12k.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Well no, I don't need my pickup.  Just like I don't need two horses, or trailers or atv's.  Most people don't need much more than clothing, food, shelter, water and some source of income.  .  Sure makes life more fun having things we enjoy, but don't need though...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Having a truck is like having 4 wheel drive.

You don't need it a lot, but when you need it you really need it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top