Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2020 7:41:52 AM EDT
I've put on about 40 cycle tires, they always pop but this is my first bicycle tire since 1989 so I don't recall.

Anyway I was converting to tubeless(tube rim and tire), put air in, it immediately inflated, no leaks. The bead line is even all the way around.
I had to go to work so I didn't have time to check for soap bubbles but it held 35psi for at least 30minutes before I had to leave.
No sealant came out anywhere.

I pumped it to 46psi, Stans say to stay at 40 psi or less on tube tires so I didn't want to push it. I know I've had to take cycle tire over max to pop the bead. Max on these tires is 87psi.

Rim shape

The bead line looks like this all the way around.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I love hearing the loud popping sound when the bead seats but I have had more than a few tires that make little to no pop. As long as your tire is on the rim and not wobbly when you spin the wheel and it holds air overnight, I would ride it and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ghetto tubeless conversions seldom perform as well as a purpose built tubeless rim.  So expect to run a higher psi than a proper setup. Especially if you are running 2.3 or wider tires with sub 30 mm (internal) rims.
Not all tires "pop" into place.  Just make sure that you always triple check your bead j.i.c. if you don't hear a pop.

Before I had proper rims (on an older bike) I had to run pressure high to keep my tires from folding/rolling in turns.
Just a FYI
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The rim is .615"(15.6mm) at the narrow point between the bead lips. The tires are 1.850".

The second tire went on exactly the same as the first, no pop, the bead line even all the way around. They hold air, I went for a ride. I guess they'll be fine.

I plan on keeping 30-40psi in them is that considered low?
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the tire size. 30 sou do sbout right for a 26x1.85 if that is what you are using. My tires are 29x2.5 and I run 23 psi in the rear and 19 in the front with cushcores. I weigh about 175 with all my gear on.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the tire size. 30 sou do sbout right for a 26x1.85 if that is what you are using. My tires are 29x2.5 and I run 23 psi in the rear and 19 in the front with cushcores. I weigh about 175 with all my gear on.
View Quote
Yep 26x1.85". I'm riding the streets for now so I guess I wouldn't really benefit much going that low anyway other than comfort maybe.

I'm at 190lbs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#6]
That's not a tubeless rim.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's not a tubeless rim.
View Quote
Nope. Not a tubeless tire either.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Basically, it will work fine unless you get a flat on the side of the road, then you'll probably need an air compressor to get the bead seal back. You'll have to carry a spare tube for that contingency.

I had a ghetto tubeless tire done the same way; worked great for months. Then one day I was bombing an off-camber descent and burped the tire flat. Fortunately there was a neighborhood near the park so I walked my bike to someone's house and used their air compressor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Basically, it will work fine unless you get a flat on the side of the road, then you'll probably need an air compressor to get the bead seal back. You'll have to carry a spare tube for that contingency.

I had a ghetto tubeless tire done the same way; worked great for months. Then one day I was bombing an off-camber descent and burped the tire flat. Fortunately there was a neighborhood near the park so I walked my bike to someone's house and used their air compressor.
View Quote

CO2 cartridge should be enough to reinflate if you can limit the gaps enough, right?
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

CO2 cartridge should be enough to reinflate if you can limit the gaps enough, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rim is very narrow compared to the tire so that may help. They inflated as if they had tubes, meaning no air rushed out, they just immediately sealed..... but I was using my compressor at 150psi so...

As an update my front just started leaking through the nipples. The sealant looks like it seeped through the Gorilla Tape, maybe around it, but the sealant collected in a circle at the nipple holes on the outside of the tape.

The rear tire hasn't dropped pressure at all so I don't know that I can blame the tape.

I retaped the front with a wider strip and put a tube in to really press the tape in place. I may just leave it tubed.

I don't really like the flimsy seal the Stans tubless stems have, though when I put them under water there were no leaks at the stems.

I may just get new tubes with removable cores and put the sealant in the tubes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
No, they don't always pop. I used to work at a bike shop that sold both new and used bikes. I found when I worked with cheaper setups, sometimes I wouldn't get that pop. Just check that the bead it seated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, they don't always pop. I used to work at a bike shop that sold both new and used bikes. I found when I worked with cheaper setups, sometimes I wouldn't get that pop. Just check that the bead it seated.
View Quote

Well these are Sun Chinook rims laced to Deore XT hubs so nearly tier 1 for 1992.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top