User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Used homes. Never understood why they are not sold as is...
View Quote
because purchasing a house is, for most people, a very emotional decision.  People budget and prepare themselves to pay $X for a certain level of home.  They don't want to pay $X to get a home that is a fixer-upper; fixer-uppers are worth less than $X.  Nor do they  want to pay $X+30% to get a home "worth" $X in their mind.

And that's before we get into the issue of "you're trying to sell this house, but you cannot be bothered to fix this faucet for <$100?  What the hell else is wrong that is not patently obvious? Fuck this house, I'm outta here."
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I got a Nest Hello so I could tell Mormons to fuck off without getting out of my chair.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
When both parents work and there are multiple small children, it can be difficult to find the time or energy to do those projects.
View Quote
I bet a helluva lot of those dads find time to sit on the couch, guzzle Budweiser, and scream at the TV for 2 hours of sportsball every weekend....
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I know how to build, plumb, and wire a house from scratch...and I have 90% of the required tools. Problem is: I'm getting up there in age and have some physical limitations I didn't use to have.

Being that I'm not physically able to do the stuff my house needs, and given the bullshit of contractors in DFW either not showing up or charging 'surgical procedure' prices for semi-skilled labor...stuff goes wanting.

I need a bunch of stuff done so I can get this place ready to go on the market. I have the money to get it done, but you just can't find people to do the work.

A lot of people don't have the time to care for their homes because they're either working to pay the mortgage...or they just don't have the skills to do things themselves.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
'House poor' is the term for that, along with no skills to repair themselves and some laziness.
View Quote
I’m going to up your some with MASSIVE laziness. Anyone can learn anything on YouTube
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I work in insurance.

No.  They think that's what it's for.
View Quote
So you must have run across my ex wife. She was convinced that our auto policy would cover the blown transmission in her Taurus.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#9]
House poor. Hot market.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why bother, people will still buy it. Most homes like that get torn down and rebuilt around here.
View Quote
No.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One thing goes wrong, you put it off til weekend.
By weekend, you've kinda blown it off.
Another couple weeks go by, something else comes up that needs attention.
You blow it off til weekend.
Weekend comes and goes, you didn't feel like dealing with it.
Another couple months go by, now you've gotten used to working around the previous issues and you've now got a couple more.

A year goes by and there's just too much to do all at once, and you say "screw it, I'll just sell this place".

Those are the houses you're looking at, and actually part of the reason they're even for sale. People do this with their cars as well.
View Quote
Well said.

You can sometimes tell who these people are by the amount of junk in their cars. Empty cups on the floor? Why can't you just throw the trash in the garbage next time you fill up with gas? "Why do something right now if it can be put off 'til tomorrow?" is the mantra they live by.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]
It's easier to just move every 15 years with the roof starts leaking.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
All of the above, Plus, a lot of them probably don’t have a Man of the Household, and of the ones who do have a Man, he’s probably out Working to pay taxes.

The Government Stole the value of two full time workers from me.   Just in the last year alone.   It’s pretty hard to overcome that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After the government increasing the costs of everything through regulation and taxes (like cars with emissions,  airbags, and crash safety) It's all TV.  Social media is just fanning the flames.

The sets for sitcoms and fiction are all large open concept and grandiose,  even for shows with "poor people".

The reality TV shows are mostly all wealthy people with mansions. The home improvement shows finish a five or six figure remodel on a million dollar house in a coastal city in half an hour. And they don't teach any basic homeowner skills.

Cooking shows are all about eating out, or if "at home" it's fancy gourmet shit nobody has time to do unless you're wealthy or retired, and again,  edited down to a half- hour show.

Everybody, even regular people, gets makeup and is looking like the best version of themselves.

Everything about television is quick, easy,  and high end and expensive.  And instead of one B&W TV, or one color TV in the living room up until the 80s, now it's on demand DVR on 50" hi def in several rooms in your house.

And it fucks with your subconscious. Everything is disappointing compared to TV. Keeping up with the Joneses isn't just your street or your circle of friends and family, but the entire country. And now you've got people you know on social media doing the same thing as TV editing.

Even if you logically know everything on TV is edited and disproportionate to actual reality,  it still gets to you.
View Quote
this is why we don't have broadcast TV in the house.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
A lot of people just don't know how to do that stuff.

The other side of it though, I've watched a lot of houses turn over and the odds are about 50/50 whether any fixing up you do is going to make a difference or not.

Our neighbors had the whole house repainted, replaced all the flooring, fixtures and appliances, and then the buyers repainted the whole house and replaced all the flooring and appliances again before they even moved in, got a really nice set of appliances off the curb for a couple hundred after talking to the new owners.

Of course that's stupid as all hell but it happens all the time, especially in hot markets. Sometimes people remodel whole houses that then get gutted or even bulldozed.

The place I'm in now we bought in Nov. the previous owners spent a ton of money on it, all the big-ticket items had been replaced, roof, HVAC, appliances, fixtures, paint, flooring, all professional jobs, but all the little detail stuff they just left. House was dirty and needed carpets cleaned and grout redone and trim repainted and windows glazed and lightbulbs changed and all that kind of stuff that takes time. They had multiple offers, only reason we got the house is ours was cash, as/is. Our offer was so much less than the highest one they could have made excellent money but they didn't care to deal with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Several years ago I helped a buddy inspect a house that was in a nice neighborhood, they had an exhaust vent that had been blown off.  Did they replace it, no, after they had water damage from rain, they took a huge styrofoam container from some appliance or something and put it in the attic as a basin.  So rain would fall in and then evaporate in the attic.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Neighbor across street moves, trims, fertilizes and edges his lawn two to three times a week.

I'd rather pay some mexicans and surf AR15.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I think it is a combination of poorly built homes and people buying more house than they can afford.

I enjoy a well maintained home.  They are free of drafts, quiet, and comfortable.  Everything works as it should.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was a young junior enlisted man stationed in California, my wife worked for a large stock brokerage firm.  Some of those suit wearing clowns didn't know the difference between a nail and a screw.  Once they found out from my wife that I was fairly handy with tools and basic construction, they had all kinds of weekend jobs for me and the money was good.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I bet a helluva lot of those dads find time to sit on the couch, guzzle Budweiser, and scream at the TV for 2 hours of sportsball every weekend....
View Quote
I am totally a sportsball fan. Go us! Go us! Go us!
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#22]
My house needs work because I work in everyone else’s house during the week. Don’t have enough time to do everything. Slowing getting stuff done though. Finally got the garage organized enough to store of our tools efficiently so we can move on to other projects and have a nice work space. Mainly a new roof and ac unit then work through the rooms.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s the cycle of America. In housing HUD plays catch up with the middle class with miscreant relocation. People know this and let their property go knowing the neighborhood will go regardless, then move to a new place while the underclass moves in and takes the existing infrastructure that is still better than where they came from.

It’s a win for the people buying a new house, banks that finance, employers that get debt slaves, welfare recipients that get to loot without risk of real violence, and politicians that get votes and power.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It reminds me of 2008 all over again.
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought my first house. I'm 31. I bought it brand damn new. Never lived in etc...
I am already spending time doing preventive maintenance.
Most of my time now is getting grass to grow. It's a pain in the ass.

I have added a shit ton of shelves and extra outlets I'm needed spots. Closets etc...

I've already washed the windows and checked the caulking etc...

I am now caulking the interior doors and fixing shitty trim work as I go.

It's all part of having a nice home. It's mine I take pride in things I own.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#26]
There is a reason we bought a house with 100% brick and high end siding (the kind you can wash easily).  I'm never painting another house ever again.

My last house was masonite siding (the bad kind) and wood soffits.  Wood around the doors and windows that loved to rot.  Never again.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is a reason we bought a house with 100% brick and high end siding (the kind you can wash easily).  I'm never painting another house ever again.

My last house was masonite siding (the bad kind) and wood soffits.  Wood around the doors and windows that loved to rot.  Never again.
View Quote
Yup agreed
That is one of the reasons I bought mine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm glad I know how to do shit myself.
View Quote
Same here.  I can afford to do it myself, but not the insane prices that a professional would charge.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm first to admit I don't know how to do a lot of stuff; but google & youtube know how.  Last week I diagnosed my A/C's bad capacitor after reading a couple of articles.  2 years ago I took most of a car engine apart, repaired it, and put it back together again by watching a guy do it on youtube.  Press Play>Pause>Do what he just did>Press Play>Pause>Do what he just did.

Never before have we had this level of info at our fingertips.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why bother, people will still buy it. Most homes like that get torn down and rebuilt around here.
View Quote
Because the door knob is stuck and the fish pond quit bubbling they tear it down, for fuck sake, cmon man.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#31]
No, they don't. Or the they think they are super handy man or handy woman because they watch hgtv and their work looks like shit. I sold two houses last year that were very well maintained. As in, no deficiencies found during the home inspection. Sold one for asking price and the other for well over asking, both within 24 hours of listing. Shopping for a home in my new town, passed on just about every one because of condition or the amount of work needed to unfuck. Finally found one that only needed minor tweaking to get right.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just looked at a $550k house last weekend. Sellers were in their early 20s, two kids, one income, didn't put anything down on the house when they bought it a year early. There was no way they could afford it, because my wife and I are in our 30s, we both work full time, have one kid and make individually probably close to double what the husband makes. We can afford the house but financially it doesn't make a lick of sense to put that much money into a home. They were selling it and moving back in with their parents. It reminds me of 2008 all over again.
View Quote
Holy shit you hit the nail on the head.
Self employed carpenter here for 19 years.
Everyone and there brother is a “GC “ driving a brand new truck around here. Everywhere I turn people are building spec houses and slapping stuff up for sale.
I’m just making hay while the sun shines. Prices are through the roof and can’t keep up. It’s like they think this shit will last forever.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

When I bought my current  home there were no exterior lights on the detached garage. I installed a set of motion activated lights on either side of the doors. The next day the neighbor comes over and asks if I was an electrician and if I wouldn’t mind taking a look at his faulty outlet. I told him I was not and asked what gave him the idea. He said he thought I was since he saw me installing those lights the day before. FWIW I swapped out the faulty GFIC in his bathroom with a spare I had in a junk drawer and you’d think I’d juggled running chainsaws in front of him at how amazed he was over it.

Nobody does anything themselves anymore.
View Quote
Similar experience here too.  Swapped a water heater out and the wife posted pics on FB.  You would think I invented fire by the level of amazement by others that I did it myself.  There is a basic skills vacuum in this country and it scares me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The days of men being the handyman are coming to an end. Too many feminine men out there with non calloused hands. There's only a few of us handymen left.
If it's not major repairs that will be costly, lowball them and repair the small issues yourself.
View Quote
I have nine total nieces and nephews ages 15 - 30.  Some of them are educated and have decent jobs and work ethic, and yet there is not a single fucking one of them that owns ANY of their own tools, or could change the oil in their car or replace a wall outlet by themselves.  I gave up trying to teach years ago.  Their dad's are normal guys with tools and at least average handyman abilities, and I know they've tried.

My .02 is that service industry jobs in plumbing, electrical, and general handyman work are going to be very safe jobs over for the next 30 or 40 years.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looking at buying a new home in upper middle class neighborhood with a high quality public school system but am shocked at the terrible quality of the homes people live in.

I'm no handy man but my goodness how hard is it to paint your house, replace broken door knobs, or have a garage door that opens?! Every home I've been in has lights that don't work, stuck doors, broken windows, and these are homes being listed in the $350k-$500k range. You can afford a half million dollar house but cant replace the door that's rusted/rotted through?

Our realtor said its a serious problem they deal with, most of the homes they represent need serious renovations prior to being put on the market but the owners don't have the time or money to do it.

End rant...
View Quote
If I could afford a half million dollar home I could afford a contractor for repairs.

As it is.....on second thought, I'll just stop.  No need to get pissed about stuff I can't change
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In a hot market, the seller probably thinks they don't need to bother with those things to sell the house. And they're often right.
View Quote
This.

And god help you if you're talking about a housing market with a bunch of foreign tech workers.    You can't un-see some things.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Neighbor across street moves, trims, fertilizes and edges his lawn two to three times a week.

I'd rather pay some mexicans and surf AR15.
View Quote
User name checks out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Maybe if you're a single parent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s really hard to find time to do renovations or normal fixes when you have kids and a full-time job.
Maybe if you're a single parent.
Bullshit.

10+ hours a day at work daily and everyone else in the house won't leave me alone for more than 20 minutes at a stretch....time does not exist to do this stuff even if I knew how and it never will.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have nine total nieces and nephews ages 15 - 30.  Some of them are educated and have decent jobs and work ethic, and yet there is not a single fucking one of them that owns ANY of their own tools, or could change the oil in their car or replace a wall outlet by themselves.  I gave up trying to teach years ago.  Their dad's are normal guys with tools and at least average handyman abilities, and I know they've tried.

My .02 is that service industry jobs in plumbing, electrical, and general handyman work are going to be very safe jobs over for the next 30 or 40 years.
View Quote
You’re right, except good luck finding anyone that can do the work. And the ones that can do the trade work aren’t going to do it cheap. It’s why trade work prices are high and getting higher. We can’t find employees that know or care to do anything correctly.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#40]
I maintain and repair almost everything around our home and I have to say, I do a pretty damn good job at it.

When we bought our home the previous owners had it build and then did nothing for the six years until they went under. Maintained nothing, did no lawn work, no landscaping, etc. They foreclosed and the first thing I was repairing was drywall and trim damage from their yapper dogs being shut into rooms and clawing desperately to get out. They weren't even attentive to their pets, so you can imagine how they treated the house. But we got a smoking deal on it at the bottom of the housing slump.

My bigger problem is that when things need to be fixed and I don't have time to do it, I struggle with the very idea of paying someone to do it for me.

I just dropped six grand to have a contractor build a privacy fence across one whole side of our 2 acres. Hated writing that check, thinking the whole time "should be doing it myself" but I just don't have the time.

Septic float tree failed and alarm started sounding. I know how it works, I can fix it, I've pulled the caps before. Just didn't want to fuck with it. Wrote the check.

For me it's been sort of a simultaneous shame that I didn't have the time to do job X myself, but that I make enough money now to be able to pay others to do it when it really needs done. And I've saved so much money by doing everything else myself, in the long run I've not really wasted any money.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Saw the same thing around here. Similar price range and the majority weren’t even cleaned up to show. One had a master bathroom stacked to the gills with a monster pile of dirty clothes that smelled terrible, and had dog shit in every single upstairs room. I couldn’t believe it and asked the realtor if we were at the right place. He stepped his game up after that experience.

The inspector was so happy with the house we bought that he just kept on repeating how refreshing it was to finally have a short list of issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Saw the same thing around here. Similar price range and the majority weren’t even cleaned up to show. One had a master bathroom stacked to the gills with a monster pile of dirty clothes that smelled terrible, and had dog shit in every single upstairs room. I couldn’t believe it and asked the realtor if we were at the right place. He stepped his game up after that experience.

The inspector was so happy with the house we bought that he just kept on repeating how refreshing it was to finally have a short list of issues.

We live in a trailer that cost $20k. Our biggest problem is after we moved in we had a bunch of 1 beer quick fixes I had to do, we wound up with a surprise bidet in the master bathroom.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Not very many.

30%-50% of the houses I go to don't even have a working doorbell, doesn't matter if they're rich or poor.
I threw my doorbell away about 25 years ago.
We had one that was just held on with sticky tape. I liked it because we would have the door to door salesmen that would stay out there for who knows how long pushing the button until I had to go outside to do something and tell them to fuck off. My wife got rid of it after her friend was outside for a while ringing it, because God forbid you knock or call one of us.

Also, as far as the lawn care goes, that was punishment as a kid, I'll pick up cans off the side of the road before I cut my own grass again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fly into LAX, a pretty hot real estate market.  Look down and see all the blue roofs? Those are tarps.
View Quote
Bay Area is loaded with million dollar homes. Some of the most expensive real estate in the country. Yards over grown, full of trash, graffiti everywhere and the roofs are fucked up.

We live out in east Sacramento, nice area and all of the 3/2/2 homes are 6 to 7 times the median household income. People tell me to buy all the time to invest in the market. Couldn’t even afford to live reasonable even if I put 20% down.

How they even do it is beyond me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In a hot market, the seller probably thinks they don't need to bother with those things to sell the house. And they're often right.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Because the door knob is stuck and the fish pond quit bubbling they tear it down, for fuck sake, cmon man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You must not be familiar with Dearborn Heights!
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like an Arfcommers house because of “muh freedomz”
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#46]
When I was working PT as a Medic some of the most fucked up homes were in the 300-600k range.
Some of the nicest were in the ghetto...gaudy decorated but nice.

Go figure...
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I disconnected mine. Fuck that thing.
View Quote
My doorbell didn’t work when I got my house 8 years ago. It’s still last on my list.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not very many.

30%-50% of the houses I go to don't even have a working doorbell, doesn't matter if they're rich or poor.
View Quote
Mine is always breaking because I’m pretty sure all our delivery folks (USPS, FedEx, UPS) use a fucking sledgehammer to ring the doorbell before they sprint back to the truck.

Anyone know a doorbell that can hold up to that for more than 3 months???
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#49]
I think wear is accelerated on new homes because of the low quality caulk , paint, shingles, etc as well.

Doesn’t matter how expensive the house the work is done by the lowest bidder, using the cheapest materials, a lot of the time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have yet to stumble across any sort of tools, work benches, etc... probably half of the homes didn't even have a lawn mower! People will drop $50 a week so they can avoid getting sweaty cutting the grass. Guess they need that time so they can go play golf at the country club, don't want to know how much that membership costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When my wife & I were looking, there was one common thing we noted about places like you describe.  Plenty of leisure activities & the stuff that goes along with that.

A generally disorganized garage was always a tip off to me.  All sorts of sports equipment but nothing resembling tools. We came to refer to them as Jock Houses.  1000's of dollars for leisure but not enough money left to maintain their most valuable asset.
I have yet to stumble across any sort of tools, work benches, etc... probably half of the homes didn't even have a lawn mower! People will drop $50 a week so they can avoid getting sweaty cutting the grass. Guess they need that time so they can go play golf at the country club, don't want to know how much that membership costs.
My wife and I didn’t work our asses off building careers and wealth just to spend our free time doing chores. We did it so we can pay someone else to do the chores while we go on crazy vacations, pursue hobbies we enjoy, or just sit and watch the magic lady wipe the baseboards.
Page / 4
Top Top