Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
every county in OK has a Emergency Response Director I think or atleast an individual assigned to those tasks. they plan for numerous SHTF situations.
F5 tornado's
massive land fires
oil/gas disasters
etc..etc...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Their plan is mostly to hole up in the emergency command center and issue "You're ALL gonna die" bulletins!

Then pat each other on the back when its all over.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait for  the feds
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Ours does
The written plan runs over 600 pages, so I won't be forwarding it
By the time the County Judge reads all that, I expect the emergency to be over
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Some years ago, and a couple residences ago, my girlfriend was briefly a contractor picked up by the County (on the strength of a recommendation from a former boss of mine, oddly) to help with a review of their Continuity of Operations/Continuity of Government planning. That is, their "How do we make sure that bare essential functions keep going in various levels of disaster?" plan.

I don't recall how it ended up, but she was pretty disgusted with what she saw at the beginning.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
They are supposed to, but It depends on the county some are way better than others.
Some you better pray you are nowhere near if something happens because they are so fucked up.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course not. Why plan for an invasion from outer space if it hasn't previously happened, time/people/money are finite, and there's better things to focus upon.

You look at what's possible, what's probable, and what's most painful assigning scores to each. An a large +8.0 earthquake is possible, slightly probable, and highly painful = high score. A blizzard is possible, highly un-probable and somewhat painful = lower or medium score. A group of 10-12 guys sit around a board arguing these things for hours before we even start.

One guy said we should be concerned about the damn breaking and a flood happening. He wanted to buy thousands of sandbags. People started asking about how much notice we would get if the damn weakened or broke, how long it took to fill a bag, place it, where we could get the sand ... I went to Google maps and found out we're not only eight miles from the damn but we're just a few feet lower than it ... and than the tens of square miles between us and it would lower the water level so much that a flood would be impossible.

The more likely something is to happen, the more costly something is (the value of a life is considered infinite), the more we're going to focus on it.  If the likelyhood of something happening is so small (asteroid lands on campus) or the impact is so small we have better things to worry about.

Earthquakes, fires, terrorism, labor strikes, pandemic, data breach, and urban riots are all separate books in our collection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.gov never plans for things that haven’t previously happened.
Of course not. Why plan for an invasion from outer space if it hasn't previously happened, time/people/money are finite, and there's better things to focus upon.

You look at what's possible, what's probable, and what's most painful assigning scores to each. An a large +8.0 earthquake is possible, slightly probable, and highly painful = high score. A blizzard is possible, highly un-probable and somewhat painful = lower or medium score. A group of 10-12 guys sit around a board arguing these things for hours before we even start.

One guy said we should be concerned about the damn breaking and a flood happening. He wanted to buy thousands of sandbags. People started asking about how much notice we would get if the damn weakened or broke, how long it took to fill a bag, place it, where we could get the sand ... I went to Google maps and found out we're not only eight miles from the damn but we're just a few feet lower than it ... and than the tens of square miles between us and it would lower the water level so much that a flood would be impossible.

The more likely something is to happen, the more costly something is (the value of a life is considered infinite), the more we're going to focus on it.  If the likelyhood of something happening is so small (asteroid lands on campus) or the impact is so small we have better things to worry about.

Earthquakes, fires, terrorism, labor strikes, pandemic, data breach, and urban riots are all separate books in our collection.
8 miles away, and you're below its level, and you came to the conclusion that a flood is impossible?

Exactly how big is this dam? What calculations did you use to come up with idea that you won't be flooded?  I'm assuming you have a strong scientific background with a lot of physics thrown in...

We were flooded out once, the dam was a LOT fucking further away than 8 miles, it damn near washed the town away.
We had 6' of water going through our lands.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
County dependent, I’d imagine.

Our county has protocols for natural disasters.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Of course not, city to county level governments exist solely as a way for wealthy locals to exploit the powers of government, not to actually do anything helpful.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife works for local county (payroll)  During the hurricanes they had a solid what to do plan every department had a plan. Non essential personal (payroll) did not have to report in until all power was restored and things returned to normal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Critical infrastructure and "key peeps" (basically highest level politicians and their fams in your AO).

Everyone else is on their own. Anything needed can and will be commandeered for the "public" (key peeps) good.

Not so important political peeps will make cameo appearances at ICS. Maybe catch a ride on a choppa for a photo op.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Here in South Florida we have pretend ( Facade ) emergency plans in place... EOC here is dilusional...

No way do we have the resources available to handle major EOW catastrophe or any major SHTF emergencies...

We have service for moderate to intermediate emergencies but nothing to handle the huge population of the elderly or needy...

50% of the people around here would die in the first 90 days.

No one around here knows how to survive with-out their I phone / Android devices.

Once the power goes out and people lose the connection to the internet it’s SHTF time x 10 with no plans in place...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL, this reminds me of back about 20 years ago, our local paper ran an article on how the local EMS and Fire Dept. were prepared for any environmental disaster.

The very next month, a semi ran over a car (I mean ran over it and left a wheel track down the drivers side), killed the driver, and went into my dad's pond that has a creek running into and out of it.

Diesel fuel was pouring into the pond, and the local EMS manager was at the wreck scene. I asked how they were going to stop the diesel going down the creek, and he had a deer in headlights look.

The finally wound up hiring a private contractor from a town 60 miles away to clean up the fuel contaminated dirt and put out absorbent floats in the pond (AFTER most of the fuel ran down the creek. )

Yeah, really prepared....
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Probably only the top 10 richest counties in the nation have the financial resources to even try to do that.  Plans are one thing -  having the cash, people, vehicles and practiced logistics is a totally different beast.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Our county will train civilians in disaster recovery, basic first aid and the final is a mass trauma exercise.  Since we so many Fed agencies and proximity to DC, probably some plans in place.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I know that the state of Missouri has a plan in place for when the New Madrid fault finally cooks off. I don't know if it goes any further down than that though.
View Quote
Texas County has some good people in charge of emergency management.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I am 2 hours west of DC. From the people I know who work at the county Gov the plan involves what to do when a 500000 people escape DC and head our way.

Involves turning the fairgrounds into a FEMA camp and that's about it.

When that happens i know I'll have several thousand FSA invading the local Walmart to clean it out.

My plan is what to do when the refugees make their way out to the rest of the country where I am and try to take over.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had the local PE look it over before I said anything.

Eight miles away with lots and lots and LOTS of downhill real estate in a 180 degree path from the damn. There's room for tens of thousands of lakes worth of water before the level would come towards us ... and every sand bag on the planet wouldn't save us.

Between the local city of a quarter million and the air base they've got about 40 professional engineers working for them. I was told there was zero chance of the water making it down into the wide valley and then uphill 350 feet to our command eight miles away, up valley, on the opposite side of the valley from the damn. The mass of the water would follow the valley down hill away from my command. So yeah, we're a bit under the water level of the damn ... but hundreds of feed above a hundred square miles of real estate below it.

The lake ain't that big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
8 miles away, and you're below its level, and you came to the conclusion that a flood is impossible?

Exactly how big is this dam? What calculations did you use to come up with idea that you won't be flooded?  I'm assuming you have a strong scientific background with a lot of physics thrown in...

We were flooded out once, the dam was a LOT fucking further away than 8 miles, it damn near washed the town away.
We had 6' of water going through our lands.
I had the local PE look it over before I said anything.

Eight miles away with lots and lots and LOTS of downhill real estate in a 180 degree path from the damn. There's room for tens of thousands of lakes worth of water before the level would come towards us ... and every sand bag on the planet wouldn't save us.

Between the local city of a quarter million and the air base they've got about 40 professional engineers working for them. I was told there was zero chance of the water making it down into the wide valley and then uphill 350 feet to our command eight miles away, up valley, on the opposite side of the valley from the damn. The mass of the water would follow the valley down hill away from my command. So yeah, we're a bit under the water level of the damn ... but hundreds of feed above a hundred square miles of real estate below it.

The lake ain't that big.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
/that mirrors my city too.

We even have designated vest colors with labels on the back

I'm a green vest with COMMUNICATIONS across the back. We work in the "quiet" section of the dedicated emergency center.

We do a full dress drill annually where there's 125-150 people in the center running all systems. Last year we did a terrorist attack with bombs at the local power sub-station. It was glorious. Everyone got to play. Bomb techs, police, fire ... emergency power from public works ... lots of fun for an eight hour day. My team trains every month, an hour meeting after working hours, and we have a couple of our own practice drills a year. We meet once a week on the air and chat too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your wife is wrong.  FEMA just writes checks and provides resources.  In CA, every local government worker has a disaster role.  My City has an Emergency Operations Center, linked with the County EOC and County Office of Emergency Services.  We have plans for storms, earthquakes, tsunamis, terrorist attacks, natural gas explosions, fire storms, civil unrest, pandemic flu or other disease issues.  Continuity of government isn't just for the Feds...
/that mirrors my city too.

We even have designated vest colors with labels on the back

I'm a green vest with COMMUNICATIONS across the back. We work in the "quiet" section of the dedicated emergency center.

We do a full dress drill annually where there's 125-150 people in the center running all systems. Last year we did a terrorist attack with bombs at the local power sub-station. It was glorious. Everyone got to play. Bomb techs, police, fire ... emergency power from public works ... lots of fun for an eight hour day. My team trains every month, an hour meeting after working hours, and we have a couple of our own practice drills a year. We meet once a week on the air and chat too.
Is your RACES like our CERT teams?  Community/Citizen's Emergency Response Team, it's composed of citizens who volunteer and receive basic disaster training.  They organize by block and neighborhood and would do most of the checking on old folks, disaster damage survey, etc.  We, as in police, use them as a "force multiplier" and they have their own comms based on ham radio volunteers.  I attend many of their meetings and help with some of the training, but Fire is the main liaison and trainers, for obvious reasons.

California, as screwed up as it is, has disaster management down.  The hurricane Katrina fiasco was largely caused by the ineptitude of the Louisiana Governor and New Orleans mayor.  If Gavin Newsom and every other politician in CA suddenly got nuked, I could run the incident with a Fire Battalion Chief, depending on whether it was a crime or an act of war and we would get through it.  We, CA government, used SEMS and ICS, long before the Feds decided to implement NIMS after 911.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#29]
My county and city back home do
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I agree with your wife.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I know that the state of Missouri has a plan in place for when the New Madrid fault finally cooks off. I don't know if it goes any further down than that though.
View Quote
I don’t know what the states plan is, but my plan is BBQ and spend time sitting on the front porch.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#34]
So you telling us your wife is the brain's of the operation.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#35]
every city has a disaster plan
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes...beg, whine, and cry for the gov of the state to call out the national guard. Hopefully, before the burning and looting happens in their neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Of course every State, County and City have SHTF plans.  Most of these are only a passing narrative to some simple and worthless steps that they may take.  Bottom line is that any "real" SHTF event would overwhelm all govt entities including the Feds.  I am confident that most know this, especially the feds.  A real event like a nation wide EMP would end with 80-90% of the population dead within a year or so.  You have to plan to do what you can and not expect any help.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No pics of wife

she says the government to disorganized to have a local plan

She does think the Feds do  have a plan to protect the higher ups

This conversation came after watching a dumb end of the world movie. The survivalist were bad and ate people.

I showed her the county Emergency Management division, she said thats just for minor stuff

not for the end of the world

does your county have a plan, to redistribute needed supplies??

any written plans would be appreciated
View Quote
After Katrina I would probably agree.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#40]
For "end of the world"?

LOL, no one plans for that. It would be useless, by definition.

Best thing in that case is to plan for a helluva party.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That’s what you think. Plans are kept low key.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.gov never plans for things that haven’t previously happened.
That’s what you think. Plans are kept low key.
t

This. What I thinks

All gas stations, food stores will get seized,Some sooner than later

I do think plans of siezure are SOPs
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#42]
It depends on the jurisdiction/agency.  Not all governments are created equal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

does your county have a plan, to redistribute needed supplies??
View Quote
I have a plan to redistribute needed supplies.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I write continuity plans for small cites and counties that cannot afford a full time Emergency Management office. .  I'm also an ICS instructor. Decent money.  
Folks are confusing continuity planning with disaster planning.  They are not the same.

The COOP ensures the survival of whatever agency.  Everybody has one.  Even your local library or water dept. Not only govt agencies either, private  industry is big on COOP as well.  It does not have to be a major disaster, an agency will activate it's COOP if a water pipe breaks in the ceiling and floods the building.

The DP ensures the survival of everybody else that agency serves. THAT's where the big money and resources comes in.

COOPs and DP writeups  are mandated under federal law and exercised/updated on a regular basis. There are three levels of testing  an agency must regularly undergo or Uncle Sam gets pissed.

BTW< no one give a shit about your guns and preps.  You can stop building that bunker now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Went to my county’s SHTF planning meeting and it began and ended with the welfare class, keeping them fed and watered and housed to keep them from causing problems.

Everyone else will rebuild if the welfare class isn’t causing trouble was the underlined/unspoken understanding.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#46]
My county does
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#48]
My observation has been that most counties/cities have a written plan of some sort for a small number of emergency types. In our city they have a specific plan for tornado, hazmat spill, and hurricane. The rest would be pretty much ad-hoc. Even then, they are limited in the response they can support and assume that the FEMA cavalry will arrive within 72 hours. Even there, most cities/counties that I've seen don't have backup power for water pumping and sewage processing. Those that do have limited fuel for them. Our city had generators at the water towers and the neighborhood sewage pumping stations during the last 2 big hurricanes. But, they had limited fuel and had to refuel almost daily.

One thing I've noticed since my experience in PR: None of the EM folks have a good fall-back plan for a sudden widespread power outage, particularly one that might be compounded by damage to the communications infrastructure. Lots of departments have taken advantage of .gov cheese grants to get fancy new digital comms systems. Problem is, those are worth bupkis when power is out for an extended period or damage to the repeaters, land lines and cell towers occurred. I saw it in spades in PR and it even happened more recently with Michael coming ashore in the panhandle of Florida. Cell towers and UHF/VHF repeaters were offline and first responders had no way to communicate more than a few miles, if at all. Even one of the EOCs was cut off during Michael and one of the SHARES operators was able to contact a ham near the EOC to go find out and report their status back to SHARES who fed it back to FEMA.

If you want to get an idea of the magnitude of the problem, a good read can be found here: Catastrophic Power Outage Note that the notion of a national-level grid down used to be considered ridiculous until nefarious actors managed to break in to grid control systems in 24 states back in 2017. Obviously, the fact that 3.4 million people in Puerto Rico got cut off from civilization did not go unnoticed by some folks in the emergency management arena.

The notion that a local entity can handle anything that happens locally is simply not realistic. That's why most are set up to try to stabilize the situation until help and resources can arrive from elsewhere. In a national-level SHTF, help likely won't be forthcoming. That's why it's important for individuals/families to be self-sustaining for at least 2 weeks to a month or more. Heck, in PR, there was no gasoline being transported at all until the end of the 2nd week after Maria and only then to hospitals and first responders.

Have your stuff and a plan to be self-sustaining for a good while. You may never have to go 2 weeks (or 2 months) without any outside resources, but if you do, you'll be glad you were prepared.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As an employee of the county medical examiners office I know that in case of a mass casualty incident that there is already a location for “temporary interment” of thousands of victims already earmarked. The county also has thousands of body bags in storage.
View Quote
Do those folks know they've been earmarked as victims already?

That sounds pretty pessimistic in numbers.

However, I do know that there are some pretty significant plans in place around here.  We've got 14 million or thereabouts people in Southern California and if we ever have a really really big earthquake, keeping that many people fed and watered and pooped is going to be a headache of some magnitude.

The Feds have been generous with $$ for preps for years, and unlike most of the anti-big government, the Feds are the devil types around here, most counties will accept those $$.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#50]
The county I live in, in Utah doesn’t even have body bags for us.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top