Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2024 7:08:44 PM EDT
discussion with my family a few years ago. Talking about how the Sunday school focuses on the old testament for the whole 6-7 years.
I realized we did that to in my SS classes.
Almost nothing from the new testament except for around Christmas.  

Services are slightly different,  in that the name of Jesus is brought up more frequently.  

How is your church in this regard?

Sure, I get learning the old testament fundamentals,  creation, garden of eden, The flood, Jacob, Kung David, etc. Very basic stuff for young kids that they can understand. Exodus, Moses, the 10 Commandments,  good for a little more advanced class, yep.

But almost nothing on the New Testament.  Jesus is born, the disciples, miracles preformed, betrayal,  crucifixion,  rising again, seems to be the main points covered. Nothing about the other books, or revelations is covered. Seems to be mostly Luke and Matthew.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#1]
The Old Testament reveals The Father to us. And the Holy Spirit for that matter. Just studying Isiah shows us His plan and expectations for His people. Knowing the context and history of the original chosen people, explains why it was so important that people understand the reason God's sacrifice of Christ's totally innocent life on a Roman cross was necessary and the only possible means of salvation for all people who do not reject it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SideCarGT] [#2]
Nope. Good mix. You do need the OT to understand the need for a savior and can see the prophecies about Jesus.

I also like BSF studies. They alternate each year between OT and NT and provide a great structure and go deeper than my churches have. https://bsfinternational.org/
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You need the entire Bible. Chapter by chapter and verse by verse.

But, if you don’t understand Genesis, you’ll never understand the rest of the Bible.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The Gospel is first described in Genesis
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My church will go thru almost the entire Bible over the course of 3 years. They do an Old Testament reading, a Psalm, and a New Testament reading to go with them. The New Testament is concealed in the Old, and the Old is revealed in the New.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
The NT makes no sense without the OT.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#7]
John 5:46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to be clear, I am not advocating leaving the old Testament behind, im asking if churches spend too much time on it.

The poster above about a 3 year program is a great idea, but how about spreading it over a longer term?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
Just to be clear, I am not advocating leaving the old Testament behind, im asking if churches spend too much time on it.

The poster above about a 3 year program is a great idea, but how about spreading it over a longer term?
View Quote

The lectionary used to be for one year, then it was expanded to 3 years. Years A,B,C focus on Matthew’s, Mark, Luke, one each year, and I think John is read more during specific times of the year like Easter or something.  Too lazy to look it up. Then there are OT and Epistle readings to go with each Sunday.

I’m Orthodox and we still have the one year lectionary. Epistle and Gospel at each Divine Liturgy. OT readings at a Vespers services for feast days and many saints days. The weekday lectionary during Great Lent is Genesis, Isaiah, and Proverbs.

I think the OT focus thing can be when there’s a Protestant congregation that doesn’t use a lectionary and the focus is whatever the pastor wants it to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top