Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/10/2022 10:00:53 AM EDT
Both movies are far too accurate with some of their employment scenarios but I'd bet most people can see some of it at their place of work. What is more prevalent where you work at? Dumb employees or general incompetence or ridiculous make work for management to hand out just to keep people ''busy'' but not really busy making money?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Idiocracy, no question
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Office space.

Surrounded by competent people but procedures turns those people into thoughtless drones.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The teachers = Office Space
The students = Idiocracy
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Office space.

Surrounded by competent people but procedures turns those people into thoughtless drones.
View Quote

This. We're staffed by thousands of extremely competent people, but hamstrung by broken tools and crushing bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#6]
YES!
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Idiocracy.

Honestly, I just stop people now before they finish their sentences.

When what they’re saying starts off with “Well, I didn’t think…”

Just stop them there.  That’s the problem. You didn’t think.  Anything after that statement of “I didn’t think” is an excuse.

How about you stop and think before you do something?
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#8]
New place, neither.

Old agency, tons of Office Space. When an organization gets large enough to allow incompetence or laziness to hide in the bureaucracy, you get situations where people will behave like they did in Office Space.

Mike Judge is a great observer of such things. Same for Silicon Valley - at points genius level commentary.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I stopped class last year because a kid couldn't read an analog clock. High school here. I took a poll. Half the class couldn't read a normal clock, and they didn't understand what terms like "half past 11" or "9 fifteen" meant. No joke. They could only read digital clocks like on their phone. I was just like WTF these people are going to be able to vote in 2 years, etc. 16 year olds. So, Idiocracy I guess.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Can't say that I see much of either. I started with my current employer in April '21. The office had been closed for near a year. They were downsizing to do a 'hybrid' approach, and started opening up the office to everyone in the summer last year.... but almost nobody came in. I think we had about 120 desks or so, and about 400-ish employees locally, and I didn't see more than about 12 people in the office at one time, not including the 3 on my team that were coming in almost every day.

Now there is a small contingent of people who want some sort of small office. The four guys on my team all got WeWork memberships, so we all use that at least once a week. One guy's wife doesn't want him to work from home at all even though his kids are all adult and are out of their house.

Anyway, without an office and people IN the office... I don't see what kind of shenanigans happen. I know some other groups had 'politics' affecting them. My group is pretty insulated from everything else, and I'm glad for that!
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I see both at our customers. Thankfully, my company is a little island of goodness in a sea of ass.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Idiocracy.

Honestly, I just stop people now before they finish their sentences.

When what they’re saying starts off with “Well, I didn’t think…”

Just stop them there.  That’s the problem. You didn’t think.  Anything after that statement of “I didn’t think” is an excuse.

How about you stop and think before you do something?
View Quote

You’re lucky they haven’t started the “I feel like…” replacement for “I think…”

It’s annoying as hell. Then hearing people parrot it who want to seem like they’re down with the lingo.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#14]
My last job (in dialysis) was a mix of Office Space for staff and Idiocracy for the patients.
  My current job (a fire protection company)  is pretty straightforward for staff. We follow NFPA and local and state regs and advise our clients to. Our clients vary from very good to Idiocracy. "What do you mean my insurance and the Fire Marshall say I have to do that?  It's my business and I'll do what I please."  

Ok, but when they come to us for documentation, we're going to show the record and if you declined service/inspection and you have a fire, you might get a nasty surprise when the insurance company rejects your claim and the FM cites you.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#15]
The new intern has never seen either of those movies. We'll, he's seen Office Space now. Idiocracy is on the watch list along with a bunch of other 90s-00s  movies.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Office Space - work.

Idiocracy - most of the customer base.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Office Space
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Idiocracy. I deal with public customers for a small document destruction company. You've be surprised how many people cannot drive in reverse.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Public school teacher, so it's a bit of a toss up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Neither. I am stuck in the Twilight Zone.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Well I'm developing more of the mindset of Peter lately.    I am burned out, I used to not mind work and did like the occasional technical challenge.  Now it's just a grind, I cannot wait to retire.  If I can make it that far.
But no thanks to the traitor idiot bidet, that will be further out.

Except no money skimming software scheme is possible in my job
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#22]
More of a "One flew over the cuckoo's nest."
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Idiocracy, no question
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I work by myself out of an office in my basement, but I'd say it's more along the lines of Idiocracy as of late. Company has lately started any halfwit with a pulse to fill positions because it's getting harder and harder to find people.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#25]
When Office Space came out, a bunch of us from the office went to see it together.  It really hit home man.  For those of us in cubicle farms, this was our SPR and BHD all rolled into one.

Idiocracy is just what the rest of the world became.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a red swingline and it resides at my desk at the office.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#27]
My company is an exception to the rule. It's almost entirely composed of PhD's and so almost completely devoid of either movie's characteristics. There is a relationship between higher education and good decision making.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Dealing with the public, day in day out ALL OF THE TIME, def Idiocracy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I’m a pilot so, I’m retarded.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Romper Room

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I work for the .gov so obviously idiocracy
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Definitely "Office Space."

I was just commenting to my wife the other day that the last 40 years of my life can be summed up by a double feature of "Real Genius" and "Office Space."

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I work in IT.

It is Office Space mixed with Dilbert.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Idiocracy. Most of the people I work with are fucking morons who have to be told the same thing 87 fucking times. And of course there's a corporate policy that requires 4 different disciplinary steps that reset every period.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I have 8 different bosses

Seriously.

And yes, I do just enough to not get fired and I'm truly ashamed to say that because I was NOT raised that way.

The only habit that I cannot break (but will someday) is showing up 15 minutes early every single day.

Used to use that time to get my area organized, check my machines for maintenance problems, double check work orders for my day.

Now I just sit there thinking about all the hours I gave them over the years, for free.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Office Space with a touch of Idiocracy.

With the DEI and ESG emphasis in messaging from the decision-makers of Big Corporate America, there needs to be some mention of the first part of Demolition Man too.  I would love a class on the Three Seashells vs how I need to be a champion of the disadvantaged.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Idiocracy, no question
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The teachers = Office Space
The students = Idiocracy
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#42]
both, corporation.

they over micromanage the floor people. office people can basically do what they want.

lot of wasted time at meetings.  then schedule a meeting to talk about the meeting they just had while never resolving stuff. Been to a few like that.

bullshit training,  training they say they do like ergonomics, then ignore everything they talk about.

have worked for worse, but its greatly annoying.   Slow to get on the ball when you tell them about a problem, not a problem until its on fire, or customer calling.

Some of the bosses for some departments are out of state, so they don't answer to the facility manager.  kind of weird.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#44]
My old job was like an episode of “The Office”
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#45]
More like an Adult Day Care...
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I am surrounded by an office full of millenials in their mid to late 20s.  Some of them are level headed and some are basket cases.  Yet it is a friendly office.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Office space.

View Quote
Yes. Only a very few were legitimately incompetent, but they were irrelevant due to corporate bureaucratic processes leveling the outcomes. Our most productive times are when we're between management, and left to do our work unhindered.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My company is an exception to the rule. It's almost entirely composed of PhD's and so almost completely devoid of either movie's characteristics. There is a relationship between higher education and good decision making.
View Quote

I agree there is a relationship, but in my experience it is non-linear.  Often parabolic.  Especially when looking at decisions outside one’s field of specialization.  Financial/management decisions by MDs for example.  And constant ordering of expensive take out lunch by medixal assistants…
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Idiocracy by a huge margin.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Little of column A and one of column B. More Office Space just with a smaller non corporate culture. If the owner's wife wasn't such a tight fisted miser and invested in building out different departments our company would be much much more dynamic. They hired a hot shot products developer and a head of engineering to help expand our product line. She then brow beat them and had to personally ok every, single, expenditure, no matter how small (does with all departments). Both of them were gone within the year. She seriously expected them to create brand new products from the ground up and whip foreign factories into shape with absolutely no cost but their salaries. Only department she doesnt meddle with is wholesale who brings in the lionshare of revenues. Soul crushing just not in the same way as Office Space.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top