Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2024 4:30:03 PM EDT
I've been snowed in since last Monday and will likely continue through next Tuesday. At this point the major roads have been cleared, but my local roads (about 5 miles to a major road) are basically sheets of ice a couple inches thick. I could likely get it in an emergency, but it is safer not to try.

Anyway, there has been no issues living of what's in my freezer and pantry for a week, we've had power the entire time, so I haven't had to use my generator, my propane tank was full, have a couple ricks worth of dried wood in my shed of which we moved about half a rock to the covered/enclosed porch next to the living room.

The only major things I realized was I now have two dogs, so I need to keep a larger supply of dog food on hand. More importantly, I realized that I have almost no "snack foods" in the house. Plenty of real food but nothing like pretzels or chips or other casual snacks are in the house and there is a limit to how much peanut butter and crackers you can eat.

So what are you using for snack foods? What has an acceptable shelf life to cycle through your pantry? What are the shelf stable items you keep in your longer term preps?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Whiskey
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Crunchy kibble could fill both categories.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
How much snow did you get? I saw 10" or so in spots down there.....that's like a Tuesday up here some winters.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Dried fruit mixed with assorted nuts. Trail mix basically.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been snowed in since last Monday and will likely continue through next Tuesday. At this point the major roads have been cleared, but my local roads (about 5 miles to a major road) are basically sheets of ice a couple inches thick. I could likely get it in an emergency, but it is safer not to try.

Anyway, there has been no issues living of what's in my freezer and pantry for a week, we've had power the entire time, so I haven't had to use my generator, my propane tank was full, have a couple ricks worth of dried wood in my shed of which we moved about half a rock to the covered/enclosed porch next to the living room.

The only major things I realized was I now have two dogs, so I need to keep a larger supply of dog food on hand. More importantly, I realized that I have almost no "snack foods" in the house. Plenty of real food but nothing like pretzels or chips or other casual snacks are in the house and there is a limit to how much peanut butter and crackers you can eat.

So what are you using for snack foods? What has an acceptable shelf life to cycle through your pantry? What are the shelf stable items you keep in your longer term preps?
View Quote
Dry-fish
Crackers
Jerky
Dried fruit
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Cook for your dogs.  It's easy, cheap, and better for them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
May want some Metamucil stockpiled for the inevitable constipation.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Gravy Train for errrrbody!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Stop idle snacking.

You'll come out of this ten pounds heavier
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Serious answer...practice fasting....both for the health benefits but also for preparedness. Being able to go a day without food (without interrupting daily tasks, work, etc.) is a great capability.
Lots of ways and methods...do some homework and see what works for you.
I like intermittent fasting and/or OMAD fasting....get used to eating for sustenance during a specific window of time, and just not ingest calories the rest of the time.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems you have a hole in your preps but from my reading it has nothing to do with snack food or dogs
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How much snow did you get? I saw 10" or so in spots down there.....that's like a Tuesday up here some winters.
View Quote

We only got 5 or 6 inches of snow but the back roads like mine weren't plowed before the snow was packed into a layer of ice. They also don't salt minor roads but it's been too cold for salt to work anyway. This kind of weather is rare so having the equipment and supplies on hand isn't practical. I'm retired and have plenty of food on hand so boredom is the only issue here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Dried popcorn kernels.

A bag is cheap as anything you can hope to find and shelf stable for some time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dried popcorn kernels.

View Quote

This.

I bought a big bag of popcorn at Sam's decades ago.

A whole 5 gallon bucket full.

We're rotating it now, and it pops perfectly.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dried popcorn kernels.

View Quote

You beat me to the punch. Well-done
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to snack on milk bones when I was a little kid, much to my parents dismay.

Didn’t die, figured if it was good enough for the dog, it was good enough for me.

As an adult, I stopped that.. mostly..
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Whiskey
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We only got 5 or 6 inches of snow but the back roads like mine weren't plowed before the snow was packed into a layer of ice. They also don't salt minor roads but it's been too cold for salt to work anyway. This kind of weather is rare so having the equipment and supplies on hand isn't practical. I'm retired and have plenty of food on hand so boredom is the only issue here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got about 8.5", same issues as above, plus a couple hours of light freezing rain over the last couple evenings. Serious ice pack on the roads. High temp today didn't make it to the teens.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Various types of home made jerky.

We eat a lot of nuts so those get rotated frequently.

Bulk bags of popcorn and different seasonings.

We get summer sausage at Christmas time and freeze 3-4 sticks and we always have some sort of cheese and crackers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#20]
peanuts, almonds, some sort of granola/energy bars.    I generally eat a handful of almonds/peanuts for lunch or afternoon snacks most days.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Snowed in and forced to eat healthy.  Oh no!
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I was iced in for five days, the biggest problem I found was a need for some sort of traction device for my feet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
First Strike rations.  Not tasty enough to snack on in normal times so I stay away, but good enough and a decent variety for emergencies.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was iced in for five days, the biggest problem I found was a need for some sort of traction device for my feet.
View Quote

Microspikes. I keep a set in my bag and truck. Pretty cheap also but I got legit ones
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Welches fruit flavored gummy candy has a pretty good shelf life.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Whiskey
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Snacking? Snacking!?! There's no snacking in the pocky-lips!
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds like you need to make a big pot of chili and some corn bread
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Tennessee and sheets of ice does not compute...
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whiskey
View Quote

This thing about the first post is uncanny.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Chocolate, but it's not keto friendly.
Nuts: macadamia, cashews
Beef jerky
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#35]
We love pecans and they will keep for a couple years in the freezer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I keep bags of nuts and jerky from Costco that I rotate through.  I'm not much of a prepper, but I have at least a months worth.

For the dogs, rice and canned/frozen meat may not be ideal, but will keep them alive.  It makes more sense to me to stock food we can all eat as opposed to dedicated dog food.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Serious answer...practice fasting....both for the health benefits but also for preparedness. Being able to go a day without food (without interrupting daily tasks, work, etc.) is a great capability.
Lots of ways and methods...do some homework and see what works for you.
I like intermittent fasting and/or OMAD fasting....get used to eating for sustenance during a specific window of time, and just not ingest calories the rest of the time.

View Quote

Your benefits are smoke and mirrors.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It sure doesn't.

<---Tennessean stuck with sheets of ice.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Roast your own nuts.

If left sealed or frozen raw nuts last a good while.

A few minutes in the oven with your favorite spices and it is a decent snack.

I do cashews with ranch flavor powder on them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Bake bread or cookies. Just made some great focaccia.

Julienne some veggies, add olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and put them in the air fryer.

There, two options without having to go to the store.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#41]
What is a Rick of wood ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Salsa and tortilla chips. We like the lime ones.
Mixed nuts.
Popcorn.
Home made jerky.
Cuties (tangerines).
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What is a Rick of wood ?
View Quote

A stack of 16" long split firewood, 4’ high by 8’ wide.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What is a Rick of wood ?
View Quote

Cut to 16" lengths, a cord of wood is three rows of wood four feet high and eight feet long. We always called one of those rows a rick. Three ricks make a cord. Most likely other people have other definitions.

eta- Well, aren't I just Mister Slowfingers McTypeyslow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Neither does this, but it is what it is...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I can eat PB and crackers all day.  That's why I don't have any of either in my house.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
First Strike rations.  Not tasty enough to snack on in normal times so I stay away, but good enough and a decent variety for emergencies.
View Quote

Aren't those just made of commercial crap like shelf stable hot pockets and candy?

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I snack on jerky and cheese exclusivly.

I buy it in wheels,  chop/store in the basement.

Last parm wheel o bought in 2019 for 130ish.  Its over 400 now.

Still eating on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#50]
My usual snacking is vegetable. A small salad, some celery sticks, radishes, etc. I try to avoid carbs unless my blood sugar has crashed.

I've been keeping my A1C at around 5.8 by watching what I eat, but my endo prefers I not fast. I use a CGM so it's easy to keep track.

Unfortunately it seems the easier it is to snack on something, the more likely it is to be carb loaded. I know it's a personal preference thing as to what satisfies your cravings.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top