Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2020 5:43:39 PM EDT
I've had my 05' RM250 for around 5 years now. Jetting is great, and the thing rungs like a top.  I put a new plug in it every fall....even though they still look good.

I recently put a new NGK plug in the bike, and then took it out on the trails. After about 30min of riding, the thing just died...it felt like someone pressed the kill button....luckily I wasn't too far from the truck.

After I got the bike home, I started going through the electrical system...testing it out.  I wasn't getting any spark at all to the plug. I went through the manual and tested the coil and stator...and everything tested fine. Then for the hell of it, I tried a new plug...and when I grounded it to the motor, I got spark. Put the other plug back in...no spark.

I've never had a new plug just go bad on me.......could something else be going on, or is that something that's been known to happen?

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It happens, Bosch plugs are famous for crap like that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Not really common but maybe the plug was dropped at some point before you installed it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
NGK’s were always solid for me. Every part and piece on this planet does have a failure rate though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It happens, Bosch plugs are famous for crap like that.
View Quote
I use the OEM NGK plugs
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen spark plugs be bad right out of the box.  Usually a cracked insulator.  It's not very common but it does happen.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you found the 1 in 1,000,000 bad part that isn't worth the factory testing for:)
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds like you found the 1 in 1,000,000 bad part that isn't worth the factory testing for:)
View Quote
6 Sigma...
oh wait...that's like 1/1000000 DMPO
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Rare but it does happen. Contact the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure it's worth the trouble for a $7 spark plug.

I put a different one in, and it works great.  Something internally must have shorted out.  The weird part was that it worked great for about an hours worth of riding....then it just died, like you pressed the kill switch.  After that...no spark at all. I thought it was the coil or stator. But nope, I put an old plug back in and grounded to to the motor....ran the kickstarter, and the plug started sparking.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I put a different one in, and it works great.  Something internally must have shorted out.  The weird part was that it worked great for about an hours worth of riding....then it just died, like you pressed the kill switch.  After that...no spark at all. I thought it was the coil or stator. But nope, I put an old plug back in and grounded to to the motor....ran the kickstarter, and the plug started sparking.
View Quote
Cracked center electrode insulator
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is that something you can see with the naked eye, or is it internal?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
6 Sigma...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6 Sigma...
I started my career at AlliedSignal which owned Autolite spark plugs - spark plug production was a case study for Green Belt training
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not usually visible.

When you hold it against the engine and crank it, you might see it sparking up inside the plug. Usually faint so it’s very hard see.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Any chance it was a counterfeit Chinese knock off?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Like others said it does happen sometimes, usually from cracked porcelain from being dropped or wrench slipping when installing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]
When I am on a two stroke on the trails I always have an extra plug with me just in case.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Can you measure resistance from tip to electrode and electrode to threads?

I used NGK and always had to carry around a few plugs after doing a fresh top end on my YZ.  It didn't take very much to cause them to stop working.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I like to carry spare spark plugs on my ATVs and RZR just in case. Haven’t needed one so far but it’s a cheap backup
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Where was your spare spark plug?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not usually visible.

When you hold it against the engine and crank it, you might see it sparking up inside the plug. Usually faint so it’s very hard see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not usually visible.

Turn all lights off and try to look for spark.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I have had them be bad right out of the box. Back in my day when real men rode 2 strokes you had to make sure you either rode it like you stole it or carry a few extra plugs with you at all times.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Didn't you post this on TT also?

Just bad luck, always bring a spare at least in the truck, but on bike is better.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$22 at the ktm dealer for a plug for my 300.

Throw a spare in your pack.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Another suggestion is to run a plug for awhile and then replace it but keep your slightly used plug as a spare. You know it works.

Spark plugs are made pretty cheaply so bad ones aren't unusual.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I was a bike mechanic for almost 20 years and I've installed literally thousands upon thousands of spark plugs. Very few have failed right out of the box like that but it has happened. In the aircraft industry, if you drop a spark plug, it's toast.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Had that happen to me before, had a cracked insulator. Was on a four wheeler not a dirt bike.  Put a new plug in and ran fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you buy the plug on Amazon/Ebay?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was a bike mechanic for almost 20 years and I've installed literally thousands upon thousands of spark plugs. Very few have failed right out of the box like that but it has happened. In the aircraft industry, if you drop a spark plug, it's toast.
View Quote
It didn't fail right out of the box.....it hard almost an hour of ride time on it. Very strange...usually they work, or they don't.

Good news...put a new plug in, and the bike is running great again
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Not really all that uncommon. It's happened to me a time or two. Plug probably got dropped at some point and got cracked
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top