Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2018 10:37:54 PM EDT
So I admit I know nothing about watches. The only watch I own is a Maratac Pilot based on the recommendations from GD like 6 years ago. It's a great watch and I enjoy wearing it, but I don't wear it enough to keep it charged, don't own a watchwinder, and would like something with a couple more features that would be handy in my line of work.

So I've been shopping for digital watches mostly because they seem to have the features I'm looking for, but I can't stand G-shocks. They are way too gaudy for my taste. I've been eyeing the new Seiko "Digi-tuna" Fieldmaster but I'm not sure how robust these watches really are since they are so new, and the model with an actual aluminum body was a limited run and have long sold out.

I'm looking for a few things:
Solar power preferred
Multiple time zones, either displayed simultaneously or able to switch between them
Stopwatch mode
Rugged glass and body (I have a tendency to forget where my wrist is, and my Pilot pays the price )
Accepts standard spring bars (so I can use my collection of Nato straps)
Muted colors (black, stainless, anything conservative)
Price range: at or under $300

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Again, I know very little about watches so I am definitely open to be educated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sounds like you should be looking at the G-Shocks, but you don't like 'em....
Next step is probably a smart watch or maybe a Suunto or Garmin (?)
View Quote
I know, I know. I just cannot stand the way they look. It looks like a robot took a shit on my wrist. The rubber straps just kill it for me, too. I could get behind a square G shock if they used standard spring bars.  (EDIT: I just did some research on mods and it looks like there are normal spring bars buried under the housing, but they're 16mm...)

I can't do smart watches either. I work in a SCIF so I can't get too high tech. I came across the PULSAR PW3001 which seems to fit most of my requirements, just not sure how well it stands up to abuse. Plus the price is nice. Just a bummer that it's not solar, but for under $100 I can probably get over that. More watches along that vein are what I'm in the market for, really.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
"It looks like a robot took a shit on my wrist"

Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know, I know. I just cannot stand the way they look. It looks like a robot took a shit on my wrist. The rubber straps just kill it for me, too. I could get behind a square G shock if they used standard spring bars.  (EDIT: I just did some research on mods and it looks like there are normal spring bars buried under the housing, but they're 16mm...)

I can't do smart watches either. I work in a SCIF so I can't get too high tech. I came across the PULSAR PW3001 which seems to fit most of my requirements, just not sure how well it stands up to abuse. Plus the price is nice. Just a bummer that it's not solar, but for under $100 I can probably get over that. More watches along that vein are what I'm in the market for, really.
View Quote
They make $12 adapters that allow for the use of 24mm NATO straps on G-shocks. They also make models like the 5600/5610 that aren't the giant chunky GA100 series.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#5]
This meets some of what you want. Not a watch guru by any means, but I have this one and it has held up great. Digi + analog, time zone, solar, stop watch.

Amazon Product
  • Tough Solar Power, 100M Water Resistant, LED Light with Afterglow, Neo-brite luminous hands and markers
  • World Time, Multi-lingual Day of Week display (English, Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, Italian)
  • 5 Daily Alarms, Hourly Time Signal, 1/100 second digital stopwatch, 2 Countdown Timers, Full Auto Calendar, 12/24 Hour Formats

Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my gshock for a knockaround watch.

That said, a buddy asked me "if you press that button, does it shoot out a net?".  My brother calls it the" seal team 8 commemorative watch"

Digital, solar, multiple time zone would require a gshock.  The retro models are smaller and you can buy adapters for NATO straps.

Or you can rock a robot turd and not GAF.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my Casio Rangeman. I work at an chemical manufacturing facility and I'm on the ERT team and it's stood up to everything that's been thrown at it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Make your own Mil-Shock. This is one of the originals made by Jim Madrid (aka maxmadco), which were sold through CountyComm and the Military Watch Resource, but I also made one using the linked instructions.

Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#9]
This is my favorite digital. They are discontinued except for the titanium bracelet version, but they can still easily be found. I took off the crappy (and way too long) strap and it takes a 22mm NATO without adapters. It's the thinnest ABC watch Casio sells at 11mm. The case is resin so it's plenty strong, and the silver bezel is stainless steel so it takes a lot of abuse.

Link Posted: 10/21/2018 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
If you can accept the g shock for what it is - pretty hard to beat the 5600’s and similar.

Here’s the solar version

Amazon Product
  • Auto light feature will not work if the battery level falls below Medium (marked as M on the face of the watch).
  • Turn on or off the auto light function by holding down the light button and turn wrist at a 40 degree angle towards the user in a dark environment
  • Casual solar-powered watch with multiple functions including multi-band atomic timekeeping, shock resistance, EL backlight, world time (29 time zones, 48 cities), city code display, five daily alarms, 1/100-second stopwatch, countdown timer, full auto-calendar, battery indicator, and power-saving function

Link Posted: 10/21/2018 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you can accept the g shock for what it is - pretty hard to beat the 5600’s and similar.

Here’s the solar version

www.amazon.com/dp/B007RWZHXO
View Quote
It also has atomic timekeeping. I love mine, the only complaint I have about it is that I’m a big fella and while the strap does fit, it is on the 3rd notch from the end.

If I lost weight it’d fit better.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is my favorite digital. They are discontinued except for the titanium bracelet version, but they can still easily be found. I took off the crappy (and way too long) strap and it takes a 22mm NATO without adapters. It's the thinnest ABC watch Casio sells at 11mm. The case is resin so it's plenty strong, and the silver bezel is stainless steel so it takes a lot of abuse.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/casio-pathfinder-paw-2000-watch-review/casio-paw2000-watch-11/
View Quote
Dang, that's right up my alley. It looks like the Ti version has  been discontinued as well, though.

I'll dig through their other models as well but it's too bad, that one isn't nearly as gaudy as the others.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dang, that's right up my alley. It looks like the Ti version has  been discontinued as well, though.

I'll dig through their other models as well but it's too bad, that one isn't nearly as gaudy as the others.
View Quote
The current PRW3100 is decent as well. Still pretty thin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top