Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2020 10:03:06 PM EDT
My twin 11 y/o girls want cameras for Xmas. They’ve used our iPhones extensively android have become very proficient with them. Is there an option out there that works in a similar manner without all the connectivity as an iPod touch? We’re wanting to get them standalone cameras that don’t offer access to the internet, etc. TIA
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the entry level Canon or Nikon DSLR or mirrorless cameras.

A Canon EOS M50 Mk. II would is a great entry level APS-C sized mirrorless camera, with a rode Video Micro video microphone would be a great starter set up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:01:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any that run android but have neutered connectivity.  Personally I'd look at the Olympus TG-5 and TG-6 ruggedized cameras.  Waterproof, drop proof, etc.  That or the Nikon Coolpix W300.  Similar performance in rough environments, but fewer accessories as the TG series was designed for modularity.  Both are considered 'point and shoot' with some (limited) optical zoom but don't run android.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ziess: The Apple phone cams gets great photos, but at some point you start to hit their limitations. I am around many tweens & teens, and they are amazed at my Sony RX100-7.

I too would also suggest a APS-C/DX entry-level DSLR or mirrorless  sounds like the ticket becaus those Iphone cams are pretty sophisticated BUT they do have their limitations. Give them some wide-angle & telephoto lenses.

You would want to encourage them as much as possible because their minds are little sponges. Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top