Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 12/7/2021 5:44:05 AM EDT
Pro body builder and trainer of pros basically says the difference between them and the average 160 lbs guy working out in the gym is drugs and genetics.  

This goes against everything I’ve ever believed that they actually worked harder to insane levels and the drugs just helped them a bit.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZLnzrSoilk&t=399s

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#1]
No shit
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:49:57 AM EDT
[#2]
If there's one thing iv'e learned over my course of time going to the gym, if you're stronger then me, you're juicing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no substitute for genetics. You have to have that natural foundation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Steroids…mostly. Followed by dedication & an insane workout schedule.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Genetics is probably the single biggest factor, since it even determines how well you'll respond to the drugs. But drugs and work,ethic & consistency are pretty damn important, too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If there's one thing iv'e learned over my course of time going to the gym, if you're stronger then me, you're juicing.
View Quote

I don’t know if I’d go that far to make that assumption.  With that said I recently looked at raw power lifting records in Iowa...at 165 pounds in the tested category the record was just over 1100...in the untested category it was over 1400...that’s a significant increase from drugs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Without doubt.....genetics is #1.  Willing to put in more work separates them from most gym goers.  You can train just as hard and take more steroids but you will never achieve what a genetically gifted bodybuilder can achieve...no way in hell.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This goes against everything I’ve ever believed that they actually worked harder to insane levels and the drugs just helped them a bit.  

View Quote

I think the common misconception people have is that steroids are 'cheating' and make things 'easier'. When you're talking about pro level athletes, they use PEDs to work even harder than they otherwise could. It's still an immense amount of work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#9]

I watched a documentary on Ronnie Coleman a while back.

I think it was Flex Wheeler being interviewed and he said when he asked Ronnie how much he had cheated on his diet Ronnie just gave him a puzzeld look. Meaning cheating hadn’t even crossed his mind.

Consuming 10,000 + calories a day every day of lean protein, vegetables and healthy type carbs is no small task.

And yes, genetics counts for maybe half when you’re talking pro level.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think it was Flex Wheeler being interviewed and he said when he asked Ronnie how much he had cheated on his diet Ronnie just gave him a puzzeld look. Meaning cheating hadn’t even crossed his mind.

Consuming 10,000 + calories a day every day of lean protein, vegetables and healthy type carbs is no small task.

View Quote

No doubt Ronnie had good genetics.  He actually stood on the Olympia stage as a natural.  He just didn’t start winning until he got on drugs.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Phil Heath is 4ft tall.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But, and to your point, not that big of a difference.
View Quote

21.5% increase is quite a bit. Think of how much a 21.5% increase in your take home pay is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
In order of importance

Genetics
Mindset
Time
Money
Drugs
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don’t know if I’d go that far to make that assumption.  With that said I recently looked at raw power lifting records in Iowa...at 165 pounds in the tested category the record was just over 1100...in the untested category it was over 1400...that’s a significant increase from drugs.
View Quote

3 lift? Bench, deads, abd squat? Can't be right.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#16]
This is a natural body pretty much near it's peak. He did this before PEDs were a thing.

He's 5'9" about 180 lbs.

Sure you can get bigger and stronger, but you are going to be fatter too.

Guys with huge capped shoulders and a head that is far too small for their body are likely on something.

Plenty of guys aren't though, and work really hard.

Any pro bodybuilders you see are for sure on something, just like with sports, it's the only way you are going to be competitive.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes at 160 lbs natural I’m near 1100 total myself that is why I checked what the records are.  I’ve been lifting most of my life.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm just shocked.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Phil Heath is 4ft tall.
View Quote

My buddy is a bodybuilder and owns a gym in Denver. Phil H.  works out there all the time.
We all had dinner one night after one of my buddy’s shows. I ended up sitting next to Phil. From my very limited interaction with him he seemed like a really nice guy.

Yeah he’s not super tall but it’s astonishing how big that dude is when you’re literally shoulder to shoulder with him.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Did I make it in before GD takes only bits and pieces of a post about steroid use in competitive bodybuilding, and uses it as a broad brush against literally anyone who has muscle definition?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Diet is more of a factor than genetics until you hit top level competitions.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Why are steroids not OTC?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I've alway been asked if I was Jucing, I've just been big my whole life. I knew if I wanted to be "in shape" and not just a fat big guy, I needed to start lifting early so I started at 13.

IMO it was me starting lifting then that allowed me to develop the muscle maturity I did so early, and with that came muscle memory and the ability to grow fast and stay even when not used that much.
After D1 football stopped b/c of a shoulder issue I didn't lift for close to 10 years and still looked muscular and large. Then I got the bug to start lifting again and blew the fuck up like I was on Juice but I'm not.

Back to being a Trap Monster, and I turn 40 in a couple weeks

6'3 320lbs
Going to start cutting after the holidays
Attachment Attached File

OK So I guess I'm not "Natty" taking prescribed TCT to bring me back to normal. That fine with me.

I guess I put on all this muscle in the last 8 month

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#24]
This guy is one of the latest up and coming guys.  He’s the same height as me, but 100 lbs more muscle.  This video shows his early days vs current.  Safe to say he’s a hyper responder.

Nick Walker
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is a natural body pretty much near it's peak. He did this before PEDs were a thing.

He's 5'9" about 180 lbs.

Sure you can get bigger and stronger, but you are going to be fatter too.

Guys with huge capped shoulders and a head that is far too small for their body are likely on something.

Plenty of guys aren't though, and work really hard.

Any pro bodybuilders you see are for sure on something, just like with sports, it's the only way you are going to be competitive.

https://fitnessvolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/eugen-sandow-profile.jpg
View Quote

You can still get significant improvement (more bulk, little additional fat) over his condition there without drugs.  Not MUCH, but enough to notice.  It's pretty much all around knowledge about diet and exercise, mostly cycling them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've alway been asked if I was Jucing, I've just been big my whole life. I knew if I wanted to be "in shape" and not just a fat big guy, I needed to start lifting early so I started at 13.

IMO it was me starting lifting then that allowed me to develop the muscle maturity I did so early, and with that came muscle memory and the ability to grow fast and stay even when not used that much.
After D1 football stopped b/c of a shoulder issue I didn't lift for close to 10 years and still looked muscular and large. Then I got the big to start lifting again and blew the fuck up like I was on Juice but I'm not.

6'3 320lbs
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/251314/20211102_065000_jpg-2195177.JPG

View Quote

All credit to you if you really are natty, but I would have an incredibly hard time believing you're not on gear.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

After D1 football stopped b/c of a shoulder issue I didn't lift for close to 10 years and still looked muscular and large. Then I got the big to start lifting again and blew the fuck up like I was on Juice but I'm not.

6'3 320lbs
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/251314/20211102_065000_jpg-2195177.JPG

View Quote

I hate you big guys lol.

This is me at 46.  I’m 47 now and a little bigger, but in the middle of a bulk.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

All credit to you if you really are natty, but I would have an incredibly hard time believing you're not on gear.
View Quote
It's the truth, no gear, considering it slightly, but I started testosterone replacement therapy 8month ago. Went and got blood work b/c I felt like I was lacking energy, was in the 2xx's.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#29]
They have awesome genetics, hard work ethic, great nutritional habits and are on all the BEST drugs and closely monitored by docs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's the truth, no gear, considering it slightly, but I started testosterone replacement therapy 8month ago. Went and got blood work b/c I felt like I was lacking energy, was in the 2xx's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, TRT is gear.

You're not natty.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Steroidsmostly. Followed by dedication & an insane workout schedule.
View Quote
Not just roids, but all sorts of other PEDs. And insane eating to bulk, cut, bulk, cut, etc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Why are body builders usually shorter than most guys?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Anabolics take off the governor, but you still have to be doing everything right to reap those benefits. Nutrition, training, discipline, and work ethic must all be in check before the benefit of anabolics can be realized. Tons of people lean on them to do all the work and still look like disgusting fat tubs of shit. But at the same time, aside from rigorously tested leagues, you’ll never be competitive as a bodybuilder without gear.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you're all natural, not on "gear," but taking supplemental Test?

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No doubt Ronnie had good genetics.  He actually stood on the Olympia stage as a natural.  He just didn’t start winning until he got on drugs.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure he did.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bodybuilding is gay.

(Citation: this thread).

Bodybuilding competitions involve piling up and posing.  Bodybuilding gyms have mirrors.
View Quote

Oh come on, every guy loves trading pics of oiled up muscled guys.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just started it 8 month ago, b/c my shit was low. As far as i know that is not considered gear, but if you want to fine, I don't care.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yes at 160 lbs natural I’m near 1100 total myself that is why I checked what the records are.  I’ve been lifting most of my life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find this hard to believe.  I was doing 1250 at 165-170lbs.  Age 19/20 and a height of 5'8"  I wasn't even that strong compared to most of my lifting friends.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

A doctor told me it’s easy to spot. He claimed anyone outside of the gym with the vein popping swollen muscles that the average guy only sees in the middle or right at the end of a workout is definitely on steroids. He said that look only happens naturally from the blood flow during a workout.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just started it 8 month ago, b/c my shit was low. As far as i know that is not considered gear, but if you want to fine, I don't care.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess this is subjective, but TRT is just supposed to get someone up to baseline. I guess in the strictest sense it’s not natural, but I don’t consider it using gear. Not that there’s anything wrong with that either.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#45]
There was a scientific study that showed taking steroids and sitting on the couch resulted in greater muscle gains than working out without steroids.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much every natty athletic organization doesn't allow it. It it a PED.

I have nothing against it or any other drug, but you're not natty.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Agreed. I’m 5’7 170lbs. I bench like 200lbs.

Some of these dudes my size are lifting 330+. Insane.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Most importantly they have body dysmorphia.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRT is “gear”
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Dude, TRT is gear.

You're not natty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, TRT is gear.

You're not natty.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top