Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/26/2024 2:01:33 PM EDT
I just saw "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" and was actually repulsed by how ridiculously evil the nazis were in that movie. Now compare it to an older favorite WW2 movie of mine, "Where Eagles Dare" and while the nazis are still villains they still seemed like actual human characters. Hollywood can't even make a movie like this anymore, it's strange how people who lived through WW2 didn't hate germans as much as today's generation.

A Case of Mistaken Identity (Where Eagles Dare)
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Now do communists.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not just nazis, a lot of character writing is just god awful. The bad guys are cartoonishly bad and the good guys are often infallible, or at worst have one token character flaw that's only used as a gimmicky plot point, which is then resolved, making them infallible.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The nazis were kinda bad op. I don't think really dark movies were popular back then. Would those people have understood No Country for Old Men or Fight Club? Those kinds of movies weren't popular until later.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kc-coyote] [#4]
This guy was pretty brutal in Schindler's List

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Das Boot couldn't be made today.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Communists are way worse than Nazis. Something like a 100 million plus people have died at the hands of communism in the twentieth century alone. The fact we helped the soviets in WWII disgusts me. We should’ve took General Patton’s advice at the end of the war and snuffed that menace out entirely, but we didn’t, and Patton died a suspicious death and the cancer that is communism was left to metastasize into what we have today.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m shocked to learn that people running hollywood would make every single ww2 era German soldier character to be worse than Hitler himself.

Shocked I tell you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
The nazis were kinda bad op. I don't think really dark movies were popular back then. Would those people have understood No Country for Old Men or Fight Club? Those kinds of movies weren't popular until later.
View Quote
Not all of them, and even when they were, the used to have smarter dialogue.

Hermann Göring (Brian Cox) - You Are A Jew (Scene From "Nuremberg")

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:15:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#9]
Heydrich was an asshole.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:16:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#10]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
I just saw "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" and was actually repulsed by how ridiculously evil the nazis were in that movie. Now compare it to an older favorite WW2 movie of mine, "Where Eagles Dare" and while the nazis are still villains they still seemed like actual human characters. Hollywood can't even make a movie like this anymore, it's strange how people who lived through WW2 didn't hate germans as much as today's generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ETf8GmXyu4
View Quote

Does "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" assume any American or Brit can pass as a German if he just has the right uniform, since everyone just speaks English anyway?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:17:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#11]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Does "Ministry if Ungentlemanly Warfare" assume any American or Brit can pass as a German if he just has the right uniform, since everyone just speaks English anyway?
View Quote

It assumes suppressed smg’s were prolific during WWII as well. And every operative was a body builder.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
It's not just nazis, a lot of character writing is just god awful. The bad guys are cartoonishly bad and the good guys are often infallible, or at worst have one token character flaw that's only used as a gimmicky plot point, which is then resolved, making them infallible.
View Quote

Yeah, most movies just kind of suck now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I think older movies suggested how evil nazis were, newer movies show how evil they really were.

Maybe "too soonisim" had something to do with it.

I haven't seen the movie you're referring too, can't comment on that.

I don't think every German soldier was evil. Most were fighting for their country. They did have some very sadistic leaders whose evil should never be forgotten.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Leftists exult in violence.  Nazis on film are just stand-ins for us, your Average Joe.  (Look at what they already do in our streets)
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Does "Ministry if Ungentlemanly Warfare" assume any American or Brit can pass as a German if he just has the right uniform, since everyone just speaks English anyway?
View Quote

The plan went awry when the heroine used a Yiddish word instead of a German word.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
I think older movies suggested how evil nazis were, newer movies show how evil they really were.

I don't think every German soldier was evil. Most were fighting for their country. They did have some very sadistic leaders whose evil should never be forgotten.
View Quote

Is this not correct for every country in every war ever fought? Nobody came out of WWII with clean hands, including us.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I also find it strange how it's become more polarized than it was 50yrs ago.

My grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge and he always spoke with utmost respect for the german soldiers he fought against.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#18]
The Japanese killed more and were more brutal than the Nazis.  For some reason very few movies have been made about their activities.  They instead get portrayed as noble samurais.  I think part of this is because the Nazis made for more engaging villains in movies and games.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder why the people who make all of these Nazi movies (well basically ALL major movies), never seem to make movies attacking the Bolsheviks of 1917?

Baffling, right?

🤔
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:
The Japanese killed more and were more brutal than the Nazis.  For some reason very few movies have been made about their activities.  They instead get portrayed as noble samurais.  I think part of this is because the Nazis made for more engaging villains in movies and games.
View Quote
I thought unbroken was pretty good for a newer film, and one directed by Angelina Jolie at that. I can't comment on the historical accuracy of it, but even if it wasn't accurate brutality, we all know the Jap POW camps weren't a grand ol' time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

The Japanese were exceptionally bad. My Grandfather fought in the pacific, and HATED the Japanese until the day he died. That seems to be a common attribute for those who fought in the pacific.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Scroll through youtube or Tubi offerings,.......tons of bad modern reenactor grade movies, where these 7 individuals (five angry white dudes which pschological and anger issues, a black guy (who would not be in a non colored unit at that time) and a potentially gay guy) take on the Nazis who are at regimental strength.  Add in a scientist, key spy or beautiful woman that needs their help.   Bonus points for vampires or undead nazis in the plot.

I guess if your production budget is $2587 then that’s what you get plus a unit that appears to be armed with one new milsurp collector’s budding collection so your “squad” is armed with 1 k98 but not guaranteed to be german, 1 Enfield, 1 Mosin, 1 Garand and a sporterized Springfield 1903. Add in a pistol that is not period correct and possibly a SKS to boot.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:40:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#23]
It's really hard to take these threads seriously after the past two years of Kremlin apologetics and derptastic threads with exaggerated handwringing about any perceived Nazi connection to any Ukrainian who dared resist the Communists in the 1930s and 1940s.  Yet, here we are, again suggesting it's just those "others" or those "Hollywood Leftists" who create these crazy caricatures.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:40:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Consigli] [#24]
Everyone loved Hogan's Heroes back in the day. Hard to understand why nazi's became vilified.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:

The plan went awry when the heroine used a Yiddish word instead of a German word.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So, essentially the same plot device as Inglorious Bastards
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Nuke guilt.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

It seems like only the Aussies tried to get the real evil of the Japanese military on record.  They were often the ones murdered during the war.   They didn’t let it get washed under the rug as everyone else was going for a few quick token trials and executions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Das Boot couldn't be made today.
View Quote

There was a TV series recently made.a couple years ago.  It didn't take long for woke content to come out in it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:

View Quote

I think this is the reality modern stuff sort of suppresses.  They want all of them to be seen as the absolute worst of the worst through guilt by association.  It's a mentality that condemns an entire populace for the acts of their government, which ironically is pretty similar to the "logic" the nazis used to justify their deeds.  

There were a lot of bad ones, and they committed unspeakable acts of evil.  Only a fool argues otherwise.  But most were simply complicit, as opposed to active participants.  They willfully turned a blind eye to the evil occurring around them or served in some ancillary function supporting, but not directly involved in the atrocities they were facilitating.  It's a recurring theme in both fascist and communist regimes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
Communists are way worse than Nazis. Something like a 100 million plus people have died at the hands of communism in the twentieth century alone. The fact we helped the soviets in WWII disgusts me. We should’ve took General Patton’s advice at the end of the war and snuffed that menace out entirely, but we didn’t, and Patton died a suspicious death and the cancer that is communism was left to metastasize into what we have today.
View Quote

Totalitarians suck, period.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By tsg68:

Totalitarians suck, period.
View Quote
I don't know if Germany had a choice. The Weimar government was so weak by the end of it that had the Nazis not grabbed power, it's probable that Germany would have fallen to a communist revolt. Like it or not, to a lot of Germans, Hitler was actually a savior. The fanaticism would ultimately give way to an excessive pride that would prove to be their undoing, but it's easy to understand how the Nazis gained power when you look at the atrocious living conditions during the collapse of the Weimar republic.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:53:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#32]

View Quote

Something like that is done with an entire culture and region in the U.S.

When reality is uncomfortable we actively shirk and avoid it.

One of the most important lessons of WW2 is that the nazis were not demons or freaks. They were normal people who came to believe and do the things they did by a series of plausible everyday decisions.

But we are safe from thinking that if we lie to ourselves that "those people" were inhuman monsters, nothing like us.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Consigli:
Everyone loved Hogan's Heroes back in the day. Hard to understand why nazi's became vilified.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjE4Mzg3OTgxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM0MDgxOA@@._V1_.jpg
View Quote
Most of the cast was Jewish, including John Banner, who lost family/friends in the holocaust. They were lampooning them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:
Now do communists.
View Quote

If you ask the left, the Soviet Union era was when the Russkies were the good guys.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flyhack72:

Uhhh... pretty sure that's what he was referencing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Most of the cast was Jewish, including John Banner, who lost family/friends in the holocaust. They were lampooning them.
View Quote

That's funny, because the people writing, producing and promoting such series and movies then and now are the same.

But they never lampoon Bolsheviks. I can't figure out why. Huh....
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#37]
This might be more of what you’re looking for

The Zone of Interest | Official Trailer HD | A24
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bloviator:
I also find it strange how it's become more polarized than it was 50yrs ago.

My grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge and he always spoke with utmost respect for the german soldiers he fought against.
View Quote

My grandfather was island hopping in the Pacific. All the major campaigns. He and his buddies hated the Japanese till the day he died. I dont believe you understand the level im talking about. If he had been in charge there would be no Japan now at all.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

The MSM-DNC hate machine was put into overdrive after Pearl Harbor and ran a hate campaign against the Japanese as a people that was so wildly successful the generals had to bribe their men to bring in live prisoners, not to mention the widespread taking body parts (ears, skulls) as trophies, and firebombing cities for shits and giggles. The liberals are secretly ashamed of their overt appeal to racism and are now pretending none of it happened or if it did it was forced on them to appease the GOP. Ironically, while trying to start a new campaign against whypepo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

My grandfather was island hopping in the Pacific. All the major campaigns. He and his buddies hated the Japanese till the day he died. I dont believe you understand the level im talking about. If he had been in charge there would be no Japan now at all.
View Quote

Yes sir. See my most above. People who have never been around someone that fought in pacific do not understand the level of hatred they harbored for the Japanese indefinitely.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:03:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pawcatch] [#41]
View Quote

I agree with this. Case in point, look at almost every villain in a Liam Neesom movie in the last 15 years.
Tom Bateman in Cold Pursuit was so over the top bad that he even threatened to kill people using HFCS.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Consigli:
...Hard to understand why nazi's became vilified.
View Quote

I mean, it's easy to see why they were hated.

As to why they've been made even more evil than they were - it seems like our progressives and leftists, who in the 60s and later went full on relativistic morals ... chose to define the nazis as the ultimate evil.

So they treat them that way.

This lets them ignore the reality of evil in our world and about every individual, which would include them too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:08:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#43]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

One of the most important lessons of WW2 is that the nazis were not demons or freaks. They were normal people who came to believe and do the things they did by a series of plausible everyday decisions.

But we are safe from thinking that if we lie to ourselves that "those people" were inhuman monsters, nothing like us.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

VERY human monsters.

ETA: Nazis were absolutely evil. They’d have eliminated multiple groups of humans if they had won WWII.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ExFed1811:

If you ask the left, the Soviet Union era was when the Russkies were the good guys.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ExFed1811:
Originally Posted By ARDunstan:
Now do communists.

And yet if you read the gulag archipelago, there's mentions of people who were prisons in the nazi camps and than in the gulags and apparently the gulags were said to be just as bad if not worse by those people.

But the left IS the man, so they'll never say anything truly bad about anyone on the left.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Just as long as the nazis and commies die a long painful drawn out screaming death.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:
I wonder why the people who make all of these Nazi movies (well basically ALL major movies), never seem to make movies attacking the Bolsheviks of 1917?

Baffling, right?

🤔
View Quote

The big screen classic "Dr. Zhivago" certainly didn't portray the Bolshevists of the Russian Revolution well.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Mandela is a hero and freedom fighter instead of a communist terrorist and murderer . Good Hollywood public relations go a long way.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeepEater] [#48]
The Nazis have to be the worst people ever or some people might start asking questions about if we were the baddies since we backed the regime that raped their way across Eastern Europe and held it under an iron fist for half a century murdering millions with no consequences.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:

Baffling, right?

🤔
View Quote

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, sir. Please stop noticing things.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:16:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: McGuy] [#50]
Mitchel & Webb Look | Are we the baddies | Nazi Sketch
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top