Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2023 8:50:53 PM EDT
I've had my 05' F250 for around 8 years, and I've been running the same IDP towing tune for that last 5 years. According to IDP, with their 75hp+ towing tune there should be no limits on the amount of weight I can tow (like some of their higher HP performace tunes).  My camper that I've had for years weights in at around 6Klbs...fully loaded.  The truck makes awesome power, and I've never had any problems towing my camper.

That being said....I recently installed an EGT gauge to monitor my EGT temps. I put the sensor in the passenger side exhaust manifold.

So, the first day driving my truck with the new EGT gauge...I'm getting around 350f at idle, 8-900f at cruise on the highway, but if I hold wide open throttle for a long time (getting up to 90+mph), I'm able to hit 1300f and it's still climbing pretty fast so I let out of it.  Is that normal??    I'm sure if I held my foot down it would hit 1400+ if I let it.  

I'm stock turbo, and stock injectors.......I wouldn't think the EGT's would get that high.  When I'm towing the camper, according to my TorquePRO app, I never usually use over 70% thorottle...so maybe that's why I haven't had any issues?

Just trying to make sense out of the high EGT readings.    The turbo has been cleaned recently, the EBP sensor and tube and new...the truck truck runs great.  Would a bad/sticky injector cause those high EGT's?  

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be worried to see that for prolonged amounts, but shorts bursts won't hurt.  I try to keep mine under 1100° when towing which is really easy to do.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be worried to see that for prolonged amounts, but shorts bursts won't hurt.  I try to keep mine under 1100° when towing which is really easy to do.
View Quote

Yeah, I just didn't know if it was normal to shoot past 1300f at wide open throttle without towing anything after I was wide open throttle for a while.  

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
On my 01 F350 (7.3), I had a DPTuner 6 position setup.   I could EASILY send the EGT's too high in every tune other than stock.  Rule of thumb on mine, based on lots of posts of people on a popular Diesel website, and from the chip manufacturer...was that 1200 pre-turbo was ok (I sold the truck 2 years ago, and going by memory...I believe that 1200 was in the "yellow" on the gauge, anything above that was red), but anything above that was dangerous for internal engine parts.  I tried to keep it at 1200 and below for the most part.  

Father in law has an 05 or 06 with the 6.0 and believe it or not it's still all stock.  I'm not sure what he keeps his EGT's at...might be different than the 7.3.

In Utah we have lots of high altitudes and mountains and driving was sometimes a challenge keeping everything in the green on the gauges, but EGT was #1.

I loved that truck but it wasn't easy to drive when towing heavy in the mountains.  New truck is a lot easier to drive (and a lot more powerful) but it's a belly button truck.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
In basic form you are either running rich or running out of airflow into the engine. .Gale Banks says keep it under 1300 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In basic form you are either running rich or running out of airflow into the engine. .Gale Banks says keep it under 1300 degrees.
View Quote

Gale Banks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Normal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:47:42 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gale Banks.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/87D543F5-C33B-475C-95CD-45D86133DAC9-476.gif

Care to share your competing business name & contact info?
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]

may not like it, but he is correct

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It’s correct if the diesel in question was manufactured in the 20th century…
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes it's common for full power runs.

Simplest fix is a larger turbo and better intercooler. More air less heat on the top end and that's a good thing. BUT too large a turbo you get lag. Which the VGT is going to mitigate but still something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Tell us all about your OEM experience and how many diesel engines you built last year and how your tuner makes less power than his. Banks tuner also has more capability. I tried to not like what Banks does but at the end of the day he does more than anyone else with diesel trucks and does not void warranties and burn holes in the exhaust manifold and turbo.  He is not the cheapest. He is not rolling coal. But reliable all day long power he owns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top