Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope

We’ve argued, we’ve been mad. But I can honestly say I’ve never even considered trading shots with my dad. Never once.

He never did anything to warrant it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are not an asshole.  You did what you needed to do.
View Quote

Thanks, its been over 20 years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
My father would have destroyed me, so no.

I threw punches at my step-father on three separate occasions when I was a teenager. I know he felt them because I boxed, but he stayed calm and handled it properly. Twice he threw me to the ground (once over a kitchen chair), and the third time he shoved me back into a door where I caught the door knob in my kidney. That hurt. Looking back I really respect how he handled it because he would have been within his rights to punch back and was a lot stronger than me, but at the time I was furious. I had a violent temper.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Never had to but know full well he would of wiped the floor with me . Had to put him in a bear hug at 81 when he went to hit mother.Demencia is a hell of a thing to watch some go through.Dad was an a.p. in korea, and retired from local police force, in hospital at the last he droped to his nees and punched a security guard in the gonads droped him like a rock. Tough old bird.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nope. My dad was pretty good at the psych game. He never hit me, but I never ever doubted that he would kick my ass should circumstances merit it.
View Quote

Same here.  I think my dad hit me once, and it wasn't bad.  Boy were we scared, though!  I was young when he died, though, so I never had the chance to get into a fight with him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I took off after my younger brother once when I was a teenager, and believe me the little fucker had it coming. My stepdad got between us and put a hand firmly on my chest. I squared up with him, and he just calmly said “you’re not ready yet”. After a moment of reflection I agreed with him. Close as I ever came.
View Quote

Never needed to I respected my dad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Dad...hell no.  step dad, yes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Never had to.

I've been bigger and stronger than him since I was young.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad was a body builder...Mr Texas and was in the Mr olympia lol..... I for one, was a little shit as a teen, but I was  not a retarded little shit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope but I started boxing when I was 12 or 13, and by the time I was 15 or so I was really good. I would have never but fear of lose sure wouldn't have been the reason.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
My dad usually deserved to have his ass kicked but was too drunk to defend himself so i didn't do it. I just joined the army to get out of there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope,  I had a lot of repect for my Dad..  My Step-Dad boxed in the Army (he was a good man), we sparred a few times and I know he took it easy on me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Cant duke it out when he was never around

He is a good dad and i always had food on the table, but he never really acted like a dad

I still love him though
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
No.

My dad would have wrecked my shit all the way until his early death from cancer. I watched him wreck a couple guys and learned from those that he was not to be messed with. He was CA state champion wrestler, and won his final match by breaking his opponents arm in a takedown. Numerous full ride scholarships for wrestling which he let slide for work out of highschool. He started training in muay thai before anyone even knew what it was. In the 90's that was a deadly combination.

He was very competitive, and we wrestled often out of fun, but he never ever let me win at anything. I remember the first time i was able to beat him in a foot race. He couldnt handle it and challenged me to race after race until he thought he was dyeing of a heart attack. Even then he would have wrecked me though. Im extremely competitive now and i definitely get that from him.

He was always very soft spoken and gentle with me, and while we had verbal agreements at times, he never made anything into a physical encounter with me. Probably because he was beaten so severly as a kid, at one point being hospitalized and almost dieing from being beaten by his dad with a fence board with nails in it. He carried the physical scars from that his entire life, but never showed the mental scars to me.

He did split, and had a second family, so distance between us was sometimes a source of conflict, but also a buffer to that conflict escalating. I miss him.

My Grandpa tried to have a go at me one time over something very petty. He had a horrible temper. I smacked him and I told him it was a mistake for him to continue, and he was smart enough to leave. He was elderly, and it would have been a mistake for either of us to continue beyond that.

I still regret the encounter with my grandpa, but there was really no other options at the time as i look back.

He always seemed to have a dislike for me for some reason. Cant really explain why, i got into my fair share of trouble outside of the house, but i was a polite and caring kid when it came to family. he was a former alcoholic and worked construction his whole life and had a short fuse.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
No, we have always gotten along great.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nope.

My father was the best dad ever.
View Quote
Same here. I always got along well with my folks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a very good father who did mucho for me! I never considered getting in his face even if he was wrong? He could have kicked my ass easily if that ever happened. RIP Dad who died when i was 18, miss you!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, and he didn’t bite.
He could have, he had me by the throat against the wall which he had ran me across the room, leaving and impression of my body.

I looked him in the eyes and told him to hit me, he already had his fist back to do it.

We would have killed each other.

I was 17 and had enough of the abusive alcoholic shit from him.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
We had our father and son arguments, but never came close to fighting. I roughhoused and played around with him enough to know I didn’t want that big hand upside my head.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I had graduated college and had moved back home for a few months. My younger sisters were wrestling with my dad and somehow I got drug into it.

I outweighed my Dad by probably 60lbs and warned everyone to stop before someone got hurt.

I bear hugged my dad and picked up my feet and down we went. When we hit the floor, he tapped out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Step dad was an impressive disciplinarian and had no problem beating on me when I was young, I moved out just before I was 18.

A couple years later visiting, I jumped him and jammed him against the wall a couple times. That settled the physical shit for good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#22]
He was 6'8", 325+, what do you think?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#23]
No, but I sort of squared up to a girlfriend’s dad when I was 20.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Twice.

First time was when he was drunk and he and my mom were gearing up for a fist fight. I ran in, knocked him on his ass (He was shitfaced), then tactically retreated (ran like hell) . He was so drunk he did not bother retaliating.

Few years later we got into it and I stood up to him. Not sure what fist he used, but, I came to on the floor, laying on what was left of the wood chair I had been sitting on, seeing stars.

We got along great after that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Twice. First time he deserved it (grabbed him by the face and called him a piece of shit motherfucker when he knocked my arm away, and shoved him back onto some furniture).

Second time we were wrestling and I won ??
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]
My old man and I didn't see eye to eye. So yeah, all the time. It never was the wisest thing I ever did but it never stopped me from doing it
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Dad and I were farting around in the utility room next to the garage. He pushed off on me and I pushed back.  I ran him through the door leading to the garage and we both landed on the hood of his Chrysler.  Woodwork around the door hanging in tatters.
 He loved it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep sorta. Me and dad was changing the oil in my grannies car, he said something smart, and i raised a wrench up like i was going to hit him with it, before i knew he grabbed hold of my nuts and said "boy I'll castrate you, I'm to old to fight fair" first and last time i bucked up to dear old dad. Granted i was kidding around, but there was a lesson there, and i learned it. I forgot to mention at 15, i was 6 inches taller and outweighed my dad by 75lbs, so I'd say his lesson to me was justified.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Naw I wasn't that dumb as a kid.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:05:17 AM EDT
[#30]
My dad was champion boxer, wrestler and football player at A&m in 1939 and he had hands like catcher mitts. I had enough sense not ever tangle with him. When he played in college they had leather helmets he broke every finger on both hands and played with a cracked neck vertebrae. He was the toughest man I ever knew. He died at age 92 and I would not tangled with him at that age. I miss him.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:11:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes, my dad was an abusive cop.  When I turned 16 I had had enough.  I got the better of him though it was a hellava scrape.  At the end of the day nothing was said to protect his job.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nope. My dad was pretty good at the psych game. He never hit me, but I never ever doubted that he would kick my ass should circumstances merit it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:24:01 AM EDT
[#34]
I never considered laying hands on my father. We had our angry moments but it never came to that.

Prior to that, from his father (grampa) on back, my family is one long line of incredibly violent people, who also happen to be fairly smart. Engineers, businessmen, and such. That always struck me as weird because smart people shouldn't be violent. Right?

I have had my personal moments but overall, I manage to stay composed. I guess it's hardwired into my Scottish DNA because I can always feel it, like some weird, intense shadow figure standing just over my shoulder, waiting patiently for next time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I was raised by my grandfather but I also had a great relation with my father he worked on the ranch when I was young working for my grandfather.
I never felt the need to challenge either of them and least of all my grandfather he was a hell of a man that no one I ever knew would take him on.
When I came home from basic training and AIT in the fall of 84 I went up to see my grandfather up in Dillon Mt and he took me barhopping thru all the bars in Dillon,Great times back then.
He was well liked and respected and I don't remember us buying a drink all night. God how I miss those days, Idaho and Montana were very different then.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#36]
He was half my size and about 10x as much of a dick as I am today.
No fucking way would I fight him.

Until the dementia kicked in and I had no choice but to stop him from walking out in the middle of the night in January.  He punched me in the chest so hard that I had to call off work for a couple days.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#37]
My father no, my stepfather yes, he was an abusive asshole not limited to:
Breaking my nose for eating the last hot dog in the fridge
giving my half brother my brand new RC10 that I paid for, the little fucker ran it into traffic and it got ran over then threw the remote control onto the driveway breaking it too
Giving me the worse beating I have ever taken for my brother shooting the next door neighbor kid in the lip with a BB gun I literally said I told you so and bam he kicked the shit out of me. Not a hand laid on my brother though.

I can go on and on..it all came to a head when we were in mexico for a family reunion, I was 28 and in the Army I was stationed in Hi and shredded like a julienne salad from surfing all the time. At the time I was a combatives instructor he decided to try to put his hands on me and I choked slammed him into the dirt and stood over him. He realized I wasnt the little punching bag I used to be, we were cool for a while until he put his hands on my daughter. The next time he sees me or my kids it will be when we piss on his grave.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:52:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#39]
My dad is a good man but has some issues.  War vet.

I've stepped between him and my sisters a couple of times.  Really didn't want to know what'd have happened if we really locked horns.

One night, while I was at the hospital with my wife and daughter, my dad, decided my kids who were staying at his place needed some authority.  All he needed to do with these teenage kids was leave them alone and he couldn't.  I happen to have a recording of what was going on.  Dad was being unclear and unreasonable.  My daughter stated such and Dad went after her.  My son, fearing the safety of his sister, gave his grandpa an uppercut and laid him out for a bit.

Here I am at a hospital handling a situation with my wife and newborn daughter and I get a call from my son in tears that he had to punch grandpa to keep him from hurting his sister.  My mom agreed he was acting irrationally.  My son made a hard but good decision and I've told him that.

Dad doesn't remember that day.  He's dreamed up some things to fill in the gaps but really cannot remember.  I've forgiven him and we are on ok terms but I cannot trust him with my kids.  Not that they really like him now anyway.

My son and I have spared a few times when he was being a punk.  I've held back and never hit him but dominated the situation.  He's in his 20s now and he still thinks I could beat him.  This may be true but I really don't want to find out.  We're on great terms.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#40]
No. Never even close. No arguments, raising voices or anything similar. He told what I did wrong and it was understood.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:04:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Just once. I got the first punch in and bloodied his nose.  He wiped his nose and seen the blood on his hand and smiled.  Gave me a hug and told me how proud he was of me.  A real bonding moment.  He could of kicked my ass. He was street tough. Mean.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He was 6'8", 325+, what do you think?
View Quote

There's a tool for every job.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#43]
No.  I would have never dreamed of calling my Dad out anymore than calling him by his first name.

I remember one time I Dad found out I had been sent to the office in 11th grade for giving a teacher the finger.  Actually, I didn't give her the finger.  I gave my friend the finger, and she thought it was meant for her

I was a couple months shy of 17 years old.  An athlete and weight lifter.  Strong and tough (I though), standing in front of my Dad shaking in terror with tears coming down my face as he's mad and yelling at me like he had never done so before!

Quoted:
My dad and I didn’t have that type of relationship. We would roughhouse for fun but never out of anger.
View Quote

Dad and I did too, for years, until I wrestled in my senior year of high school.  We were wrestling and I put him in a half nelson and tied up his leg.  No matter how hard he moved, he couldn't get out of it.  I had finally beat him, and that was the last time we wrestled.

He was a good Dad.  He taught me a lot.   He died last July of dementia.  I miss him every day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep, and I got spiked into the front yard one time when I got too big for my britches.

Old mans knees hurt like hell the next couple of days, we laughed about our injuries together.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#45]
There was a day we came to terms.  He quit the fits of temper and we’d talk from then on.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#46]
My dad worked a lot. Growing up i would only really see him on weekends so my mom was really the person who would whoop our asses.

I got into it once with my dad I think I was probably 18 and acting like an asshole. He never hit me but I remember him just thrashing my ass around by my shirt. Smashed me into a desk in the kitchen and tossed me to the ground. That was enough for me.

Him and my mom live 5 mins down the road and I talk to him almost daily

Sometimes you just need a good reminder.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I was like 8 or 9 and saw one of our family friends (drunk) swing on my father.

My father responded with a single punch square into the side of his jaw and put the dude in the hospital for 3 days. Few years later, same guy says his face never felt the same after that.

Fuck no, I never wanted to square up to him.

Even now, with some training and 25 year age difference I still wouldn't want to tangle with my dad. I might win, but I'm gonna feel it, I'm certain.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Fuck no. Old Marine, lumberjack and truck driver. He passed last Christmas and was a badass right to the end at 80.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Nope and never would. One because I have to much respect for my parents and two, he was a pro-bodybuilder. Now that he is in his 70s with a shoulder issue I could probably take him.  He stays in pretty good shape for his age.

Recently I met him at the gym and did a spin class with him. The group he does it with is very competitive. I’m 39 and he is 71, I could t hang. Not even close! Lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top