Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/25/2021 12:36:01 PM EDT
I took off after my younger brother once when I was a teenager, and believe me the little fucker had it coming. My stepdad got between us and put a hand firmly on my chest. I squared up with him, and he just calmly said “you’re not ready yet”. After a moment of reflection I agreed with him. Close as I ever came.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, never had to
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope. My dad was pretty good at the psych game. He never hit me, but I never ever doubted that he would kick my ass should circumstances merit it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.

Once when I I was old enough to be responsible for my own life and choices.  He still saw me as a kid and raised his fist to hit me (like he did to me growing up).  I stood up, looked him in the eye and told him hitting me would be the last thing he ever did (I was 20 years old at the time).

Second time was to point out the hypocrisy of his stance on a family matter but he was too stubborn to see the truth.  He couldn't see that he was destroying family relationships and did not take responsibility for his words and actions.

That's the last time I spoke to him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad was a vigorous and large man into his 60s.

There is no world where I would have squared up with him (not that it ever came to that).
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Naw I wasn't that dumb as a kid.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, just told him to fuck off as I was leaving.

Didnt go to his funeral either.

For those of you that say Im an asshole, guess who taught me to be one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope, my dad would have kicked my ass.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Once, when I was just past my 17th birthday my Dad went hands on with me over something I did. It wasn't bad, or breaking the law, just some stupid. I took a backstop and said firmly, "I know you'll end up more than likely kickin' my ass but if you lay a hand on me I'm coming back at ya."

He stopped, kinda dumbfounded. Told him from now on if you can't talk to me about whatever our problems are I'd rather we don't talk at all.

Had some great conversations after that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Once and only once. He put me through a door. Then made me replace said door.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes. No punches were thrown but we didn’t talk for 8 years.

My uncle called papaw out when he was 16. They tore the house up. He said the old man was brutal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Nah, my dad and I got along.......(plus he knew all that WWII fighting stuff).
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My son took a swing at me when he was like 13, I just gave him a bear hug, picked him up and put him in his room to cool off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

You are not an asshole.  You did what you needed to do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, had to several times in my late teens. Eventually it went hands on and he resorted to sticking a .357 magnum about two inches from my face because he knew he was going to get mangled. This was only due to him being ignorant and abusive towards my mother.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
not with HIS straight, left jab
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Sometimes you have to let them go.  It sucks because we are told that one should never do that.  I think that way of thinking is not rational nor does it have any connection to reality and human nature.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Second time was to point out the hypocrisy of his stance on a family matter but he was too stubborn to see the truth.  He couldn't see that he was destroying family relationships and did not take responsibility for his words and actions.

That's the last time I spoke to him.
View Quote

Damn, that sounds familiar. I’m in the same boat right now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#18]
when I was 16 my dad, my brother, my best friend and I went camping.

My buddy and me set our tent off a way from where dad and brother were set up.

In the morning we walked over to where the old man had a fire going for coffee and breakfast.

Dad takes a gulp of coffee and says "You two faggots have fun last night?" So I tackled him.

Down we went, but within a few seconds he had got the best of me, grinned and said "Good try, let's eat".

He was a tough old man and a good dad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup. When I was 17 I upset my mother. I was in my room when my father came home. I was pissed and heard the front door slam and my father ask my mother, ‘Where is he!?!?’ He came bursting into my bedroom all fired up. I was sitting on my bed as he came through the door and I saw he already had his belt off. I stood up and said to him, “You can hit me as a punishment, that’s fine. But just remember, I’m not a little kid anymore. You may in the end kick my ass but remember one thing. I’m bigger than you now and much faster. I will hit back.”

He straightened up and stopped in his tracks and just said, ‘What you did to your mother wasn’t right. Don’t do it again.’ and left the room.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#20]
After seeing what he did to my older brother for being a complete dumbass. I would never in my wildest dreams challenge him to a fight.
He could bend a quarter in half with his bare hands and that always impressed the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope. My dad was a drill sergeant in the Army til he got kicked out for doing and selling drugs, then got busted for selling and did some time in prison where all he did was work out. When he got out he started a landscaping business which kept him in shape. He could have whipped my ass up until he started driving truck long haul and got out of shape
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Naw I wasn't that dumb as a kid.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#23]
No. I had nothing but love and respect for my Dad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I didn't get along with my dad and we had very different views on life but I was never afraid he would hit me and I respected the man enough that I wouldn't him either. Honor thy father and mother and thy days on earth be many.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#25]
As a young adult I had to set some parameters. Never came to fisticuffs but it got heated at points.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#26]
No

My dad was smaller than me from teen years up.  However, he was always harder and always more serious, committed  and generally carrying some ghosts from Vietnam.

He is a gentleman but has an edge about him that radiates he has no issues putting someone under the dirt.  

No, I never wanted to see that side of him.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, this thread is uplifting as fuck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, my dad died when I was 6 months old, but I'm pretty sure I shit really good and made him clean it up.

So, yeah, I kinda did get the better of him on that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Probably 15 or 16. Got tired of him chewing my ass over some bullshit that I shouldn't have done. I finally said "Why don't you stop yelling and just hit me already?!"

He looked at me and said "When you were 2 years old, I used to throw you against the wall. If I start hitting you now, I'm afraid I won't stop." And then walked away.

Not really sure what he meant, and never cared to follow up on that one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Came close once when I was 14.  My dad was stubborn as a mule, a true son of Texas who grew up during the depression and fought in two wars.  It would not have been pretty.

At 65 years of age, my children have never tried me either.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah once. He laughed and said, "I'd kill ya". Sure miss him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
when I was 16 my dad, my brother, my best friend and I went camping.

My buddy and me set our tent off a way from where dad and brother were set up.

In the morning we walked over to where the old man had a fire going for coffee and breakfast.

Dad takes a gulp of coffee and says "You two faggots have fun last night?" So I tackled him.

Down we went, but within a few seconds he had got the best of me, grinned and said "Good try, let's eat".

He was a tough old man and a good dad.
View Quote

Are we brothers?

That sounds exactly like me and my dad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Came to the brink a couple times.
Last time he told me  " you might kick my assin a fair fight. But remember this, I'm not going to fight fair and at some point you will fall asleep. And when you do I WILL be there"

I left home a few days later never to return
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wow, this thread is uplifting as fuck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Nope. All of my sparring with my old man has been strictly verbal.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#37]
My dad never did, but my stepfather grabbed my upper arm and shook me when I was 19. I moved out a few weeks later.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Dad was a great man that I aspire to emulate.  Never even thought about 'calling him out'.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#40]
When i was around 14
Stood up and told him to get the fuck out.

In retrospect i always thought i should have just beat the fuck out of him.
Because while he heard the message that day it didn't sink all the way in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep.   Nobody else ever stood up to him.  I relished the opportunities.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#42]
My dad was 46 when I was born. By the time I was of an age when I might have wanted to try he was in his 60s, and while he could have whipped my ass on his own I also knew that even if I won my brothers would beat me down in his stead.

So no, never tried, and while he’s certainly done things to piss me off over the years and I him, we have a decent relationship.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#43]
My dad was, and still is, my best friend.

I can't imagine a world in which we would go hands on.
He's not the toughest guy, but I never needed him to be a tough guy.
A few times I've felt like giving my boy a good hiding, but I've stopped myself and talked to him with kindness and intelligence, as my Dad did to me.

It works.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I
Quoted:
Yep.   Nobody else ever stood up to him.  I relished the opportunities.
View Quote

Is he still alive and have things gotten better with him?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Pops was a steel worker in the Seabees.
He made Master Chief when I was about ten.
No way I was going talk shit to him much less stand up to him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Once. Me and my dad have always had a great relationship. It was just me having raging 16 year old hormones where I thought I knew it all and was a badass. I bowed up to him and the next thing I know I'm against a wall with a forearm in my throat and a finger in my face. I totally deserved it too. We never really got into much before or since, just an isolated incident.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Once and only once. He put me through a door. Then made me replace said door.
View Quote

That’s awesome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#49]
My dad and I didn’t have that type of relationship. We would roughhouse for fun but never out of anger.

I did get mouthy and disrespectful with my mom once when I was 17 or so. He gave me a good windpipe poke which sent me backwards over my bed. He apologized some minutes later. In the 20 years since then we haven’t had so much as a cross word with one another.

He’s a good dad. A lot for me to live up to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My dad and I didn’t have that type of relationship. We would roughhouse for fun but never out of anger.

I did get mouthy and disrespectful with my mom once when I was 17 or so. He gave me a good windpipe poke which sent me backwards over my bed. He apologized some minutes later. In the 20 years since then we haven’t had so much as a cross word with one another.

He’s a good dad. A lot for me to live up to.
View Quote

Oh yes, my dad and I would do that now and then but never mean.

He was really good at combat fighting types of moves he learned in WWII and would almost ALWAYS win.  (In fact, the few times I won I think he let me win. )
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top