Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 9:47:31 PM EDT
Diablo and Diablo II were two of my favorite games, but when Diablo III came out in 2012 I was preoccupied with other games so I never got around to playing it. Was thinking of picking it (for PC) up since its now priced in the teens. Reviews looked good.

Is it a fun game and on par with the first two?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't enjoy it myself.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
It's dead Jim.

Played it when it first came out, it was okay so long as you kept the difficulty up. And then there was a crap load of people online playing it. Over the last few years I saw less and less people online. Now, it's dead, no one, literally no multiplayer games show up when I look. I duno what's up with that but, it appears to be dead.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Diablo and Diablo II were two of my favorite games, but when Diablo III came out in 2012 I was preoccupied with other games so I never got around to playing it. Was thinking of picking it (for PC) up since its now priced in the teens. Reviews looked good.

View Quote
I liked it, although this isn't anywhere close to Diable I or II gameplay wise. It's super fast paced with almost no sense of danger and the artwork is almost cartoonish.

I'm sure you're probably tired of seeing this if you've done any research, but the game you're actually looking for is Path of Exile. Free to play with completely optional cosmetic MTX and some stash MTX that seriously doesn't cripple anybody except for those rolling like 5 different characters. It's slower paced with a deep gear/skill system while having a darker art aesthetic. It's EXTREMELY popular too so the community is absolutely amazing. They've actually just hired on a couple dudes that were operating utility sites to plan builds for diablo II and III so they're very much still developing stuff. They put out a ton of new content very regularly too. Honestly I played it a bit and my only complaint is that it's so much like oldschool diablo and other old ARPGs that I had to put it down because I've got the attention span of squirrel nowadays. Seriously though, check that shit out.

If you're not convinced just checkout gameplay on twitch real quick. Diablo 3 will give you an epileptic seizure more than likely, PoE is much more grounded.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't enjoy it myself.
View Quote
Any specific reason(s)?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's dead Jim.

Played it when it first came out, it was okay so long as you kept the difficulty up. And then there was a crap load of people online playing it. Over the last few years I saw less and less people online. Now, it's dead, no one, literally no multiplayer games show up when I look. I duno what's up with that but, it appears to be dead.
View Quote
I was thinking as a single player game.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The story in D3 is pretty good if you wanna play through it.

The replay value is pretty bad imo.  I lost interest very quickly.

D2 stayed fun for quite some time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The story in D3 is pretty good if you wanna play through it.

The replay value is pretty bad imo.  I lost interest very quickly.

D2 stayed fun for quite some time.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
check out path of exile. the new league betrayal starts friday. it is free to play but you can choose to spend money on effects and stash slots.
game started pc only and came to xbox last year. it comes to ps4 monday.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Give Torchlight II a try, probably my favorite Diablo-like game other than D2.
View Quote
Playing it right now! Played Torchlight I and enjoyed it as well. Really fun mindless games.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Path of exile.

New 3 month league starts Friday.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Some friends and I played it quite a bit, we enjoyed it
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any specific reason(s)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't enjoy it myself.
Any specific reason(s)?
I played D2 extensively.... D3 didn't have the same feel and felt very rushed.

I thought the graphics were horrible as well.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Path of exile.

New 3 month league starts Friday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
It's better now than when it released, for sure. Diablo 2 is definitely the best game in the series, but I liked 3 enough to beat it on the highest difficulty in Hardcore mode (that was terrifying)

I'd recommend getting it, since you're a fan of the series.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I enjoyed D3, like others said, it's not as good as D2 was, but its great as a couch co-op.

there's not too many good co-op games out there these days, and D3 is great with a group.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you start playing POE like suggested?  If not, you are doing it wrong.  POE will satisfy your need for ARPG for a long time.  I have a ton of backlogged steam games I don't get to because POE keeps releasing new content.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I tried PoE. I think I made it to level 23 before I stopped playing it and that was after playing 3 of the classes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I tried PoE. I think I made it to level 23 before I stopped playing it and that was after playing 3 of the classes.
View Quote
While the intro is decent, POE doesn't really come alive until much later in the game.  Around ACT 6 and Level 50 you sort of settle in and can start to see a build coming together.  Once you pass into the mid 70's most builds are rocking and rolling.  Some of the most difficult ones don't shine until into the mid 80's.

Keep after it, you won't be disappointed.  I don't think
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

While the intro is decent, POE doesn't really come alive until much later in the game.  Around ACT 6 and Level 50 you sort of settle in and can start to see a build coming together.  Once you pass into the mid 70's most builds are rocking and rolling.  Some of the most difficult ones don't shine until into the mid 80's.

Keep after it, you won't be disappointed.  I don't think
View Quote
Nah I'm done with it. It doesn't hold my interest well. Not saying it isn't a good game, just not something that works for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#22]
i just started another betrayal character today before the xbox patch. level 81 glacial cascade totemer and a level 33 spin to win marauder.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Only issue I'd see getting it now on PC is you probably won't find anyone to play with.  I have played it off and on for the last 2 years (after grinding in the game for probably 6 months straight after it came out). I notice I never have anyone join my games nor can I find any games to join, apparently you have to be very high level and playing rifts to find other players for COOP.  So there's that, expect to be playing the game on PC by yourself unless you have some friends to play with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Only issue I'd see getting it now on PC is you probably won't find anyone to play with.  I have played it off and on for the last 2 years (after grinding in the game for probably 6 months straight after it came out). I notice I never have anyone join my games nor can I find any games to join, apparently you have to be very high level and playing rifts to find other players for COOP.  So there's that, expect to be playing the game on PC by yourself unless you have some friends to play with.
I was actually thinking of just playing it as a single player game for the story.
Quoted:
I'd imagine on something like the Switch it's not like that because of so many new players.
I bought that for my son for Christmas. Wonder if a Switch player (my son) and a PC player (me) can join a game together.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I bought that for my son for Christmas. Wonder if a Switch player (my son) and a PC player (me) can join a game together.
View Quote
No cross play. Different servers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is a nice video that I think does a good job summing up the differences between POE and D3:

Rhykker is playing Path of Exile. PoE KILLED DIABLO 3?!?

Understand that this is a very contentious subject; its the ARPG equivalent of beans vs no beans. So finding someone who can be fair is hard, and this guy comes pretty close.

The TL;DR is

PoE for more serious players
D3  for more casual players
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Going to give PoE a try after watching that video. Got tired of D3 a couple years ago.

Any tips for a newbie starting out?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Going to give PoE a try after watching that video. Got tired of D3 a couple years ago.

Any tips for a newbie starting out?
View Quote
Don't worry about much on your first character.  You'll mess it up.  once you get a feel for it, head over to the POE forums and look into the class forums for build guides.   Follow one of those and you'll be in much better shape teh second time around.

It's a complicated game, but once you get the hang of it it gets really fun.

Don't quit on it because it's hard the first time.

Also, download Path of Building.  It's a free app for your PC that allows you to import/export builds and play around with the skill tree's and items to see what happens to your damage numbers.  Super helpful if you want to start looking at tweaking forum builds, or doing your own.

Syndicate is super confusing, I still don't get it, really.  You will die, many times.   Stay away from hardcore for your first few characters.

Last, don't expect builds to start coming together until late 50's early 60's.  And 'good' gear starts at 70+ most of the time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#29]
i have been using glacial cascade totem builds the last few leagues. they are simple and fairly cheap to set up.a lot of people dont like the totem play style though.
i play xbox and plan on moving to ps4 version when it releases in february.
i did get a ngamuhu axe a few days ago so an trying to level up a character to use it. 8 levels to go.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I did not play the first two, but enjoyed III. I played it on a Xbox with my wife. There are not a lot of games out there that are couch co-op,

but this one is.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#31]
A few questions on D3.
1. How does one spend wrath to beat the set dungeon of a crusader?  
2. When you put items in the wardrobe can you delete the gear in your stash to make room for more stuff?  
3. How much crap do you all save and what is your reason for the stuff you collect?

Thanks for looking!

AB
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#32]
got a phantom mace the other day named death star on xbox. kinda funny star wars name.
waiting very impatiently for ps4 version to drop.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
It caught some flak when it came out and has its issues, but I actually found it to be better than D2.  My reason is the pacing is better in D3 over D2 which feels like it drags a good bit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It caught some flak when it came out and has its issues, but I actually found it to be better than D2.  My reason is the pacing is better in D3 over D2 which feels like it drags a good bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, most of the flack it got had to do with the real money auction house. Working from memory, but basically you could sell your loot for real cash on an in game auction house, and blizz kept a cut. Needless to say this went over about as well as a turd in a punch bowl with the community. Although a few people made quite a bit of money rather quickly.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#35]
that wasn't the real problem really, the ah was just full of loot upgrades, so cheap you never dropped anything yourself you used. then to push gold sales they made repair bills stupid high
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Never played 3.  A friend (Beta tester) told me if you want to go online and be part of a party three is worth it.  Otherwise, just stick with two.

Since it is older and others are reinforcing my assumption of not much online, I would say stick with two and try different classes or builds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top