User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 105
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't played since April 30. Destiny at its core is the same fucking thing over and over, and for the longest I was okay with that because everything else around the same old shit was pretty good. The crucible was fun, the weapons were cool, exotics were unique, the art and music is always bangin', etc.

I think I finally got tired of doing the same thing over and over though. I also think that Bungie doesn't really know what they want this game to be or what it really is. I think the ten year plan for Destiny was a little optimistic, to me it feels like the game ran out of gas at the 7-8 year mark which is understandable I think. Coming up with new stuff isn't easy.

I don't really know what to think or say about the layoffs at Bungie. If what they're saying is true, about the layoffs being due to underwhelming preorders of the Final Shape and low player population, um, man, I dunno.

I'm the world's biggest proponent about not preordering shit, that we as a community need to stop encouraging these half baked releases so many developers and publishers are all about these days. That said, and I don't know who all got laid off at Bungie, but I can't believe that the dudes that got the axe for the most part were directly responsible for the current state of the game and the lack of interest in the Final Shape. Reading on Twitter it seems like a lot of lower level guys, like art direction people, animation, music and QA staff were laid off.

Like most of these corporate af things, shot callers well above the grunts were the ones that made the decisions that led them to this point, and I'd bet dollars to donuts most of those managers and directors are probably gonna survive this. The way Bungie did this is kinda cringy too, they laid most of those guys off on 30 Oct., which means they get like one day of health insurance coverage before going on Cobra on 1 Nov., they also relinquished Sony stock options they had by being terminated.

Not sure how I feel about the whole situation tbh. I'll just say that I think I've got everything I really wanted out of Destiny at this point. I wasn't super interested in the Final Shape before all of this but I was gonna play it since I'm vested in the series and wanted to see the conclusion. Now, my limited interest is gone. I'm good.

View Quote

I hit that point years ago. Haven't played Destiny since shortly after my last post in this thread 4 1/2 years ago.

I haven't followed much of Destiny in the last few years, but a big part of why I quit was it became too hardcore / too much of a time-sink...raid 30hrs a week for a +1 on a single piece of armor - or worse, on a weapon you don't want. It was the WoW loop, but worse, IMO. I agree the 10-year plan was too optimistic.

I feel bad for the folks who lost their jobs, especially because they paid the price for the bad decisions of the higher ups, but a reckoning was a long time coming for Bungie.

Also, this has been an insane year not just for games in general, but huge time-sink games like Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, and Diablo 4 (among a number of others). Destiny was destined (not sorry) to take a hit this year.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well that's just some phoned in, feel good bullshit.

Why did it take an event like this to get Bungie to say that "yeah, maybe we haven't done the best job, sorry guys, you caught us, our bad, we'll do better we promise because Taken King and Forsaken!"  Get the fuck outta here with that.
View Quote

Especially after being quoted saying that they’re never going to try to beat forsaken because it sets expectations of their quality and content.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why did it take an event like this to get Bungie to say that "yeah, maybe we haven't done the best job, sorry guys, you caught us, our bad, we'll do better we promise because Taken King and Forsaken!"  Get the fuck outta here with that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The real problem is this is like the fifth time they've come out and apologized for "losing our faith" and promising they'll do better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup. It’s sad when I have more fun playing Fallout 76 than Destiny. Bungie needs to stop being the abusive boyfriend and sort their shit.

Sad. It I doubt they will.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to say the last place Bungie should be laying off is QA staff, but based on the glitchy shit they've signed off on, perhaps they should have been canned long ago and replaced by people who actually did QA.

Seems the Art and Music people are collateral damage in all this.  Destiny has had some really good art and music.

Another guy they should fire is the asshole that came up with the "invisible enemies" idea.  That just screams "bug" that they made "a feature."
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#8]
QA is usually the newest and least experienced people, it's playtest, find a bug, try to recreate the bug, forward bug onto relevant team for a fix.  Downside is since QA is entry tier, their comments get ignored a lot.  That's one of the industry rumors about Bungie, because apparently higher ups couldn't take criticism about code or issues.

I'd love to ask my buddy that worked at Bungie, but I lost contact with him around Forsaken.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
QA is usually the newest and least experienced people, it's playtest, find a bug, try to recreate the bug, forward bug onto relevant team for a fix.  Downside is since QA is entry tier, their comments get ignored a lot.  That's one of the industry rumors about Bungie, because apparently higher ups couldn't take criticism about code or issues.

I'd love to ask my buddy that worked at Bungie, but I lost contact with him around Forsaken.
View Quote

A cousin who I'm not particularly close to (and haven't spoken to in years), started work in QA for Rock Star and has her name in the credits of RDR2.

She said the same thing. If they find a bug and can replicate it: great! Basically, all other feedback, unless specifically requested, is ignored.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was going to say the last place Bungie should be laying off is QA staff, but based on the glitchy shit they've signed off on, perhaps they should have been canned long ago and replaced by people who actually did QA.

Seems the Art and Music people are collateral damage in all this.  Destiny has had some really good art and music.

Another guy they should fire is the asshole that came up with the "invisible enemies" idea.  That just screams "bug" that they made "a feature."
View Quote
You can't see them when the subtle modifier isn't active anyway
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Haven't been in game since Oct 21, but if I'm honest I checked out at least a full season before that, maybe longer...it just kind of stopped being fun. It became a discordant mess. I'm morbidly curious to see how much worse it's gotten, but...they're patching out things that gave quality of life (i.e. they're actively making things worse now), their interpretation of "we should make things more difficult for advanced players or teams" has been to add more champions and make bosses/elites tankier and hit harder, and not add mechanics or puzzles....so on, so forth.

It's a shame since the game was so fun...but, I think the final straw for me came when they started interpreting "let's make the game more fun!" as "I know, let's make people go FISHING! That's FUN! A FISHING VIDEO GAME!" ...I mean it had been circling the drain long before that, but that was really the most blatant kick in the teeth for me, IMO.

I mean it's 8:40am central US time right now; past times, a lot of my euro friendlist entries would be in D2 right now, there'd be at least 10 people in my Steam friends list playing if not more between US and Euro or APAC...right now, there's none. Oh there's a bunch of people in my friendslist playing games...but none of them are in D2 anymore.

Hell I'm two raid encounters away from getting the Crota exotic...could not be bothered. It's been that way for like 4 months now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.ign.com/articles/bungie-devs-say-atmosphere-is-soul-crushing-amid-layoffs-cuts-and-fear-of-total-sony-takeover

At this point, Sony probably should take over Bungie and Destiny 2.  The whole Bungie-as-an-independent-developer/publisher thing isn't working, they've laid off staff, preorders for the Final Shape haven't worked out as well as they've hoped, player numbers are at an all-time low.

Bungie did their best work under Activision, when they had a big brother publisher to answer to and hold them accountable.  Bungie as an independent publisher/developer today without that accountability, those dudes are worrying about people's pronouns and holding cooking and crochet classes in the office while their game is dying.

Fuck it.  It would probably be the best for the future of the game, however much of that there is or will be, for Sony to take over and tell these motherfuckers what to do.
View Quote

Full on agree. I can get like 8 different "It's Ok To Be Gay" or transgender or whatever emblems right now...but the last time any new content, or actual good storyline, pretty much ended with Witch Queen and maybe even before that if I'm honest. They certainly didn't put much effort into the raids since then.

No one's going to pre-order Final Shape considering the shitfest that the last few expansions were. Beyond Light was pretty iffy, Witch Queen made a decent effort but kind of fell flat quick, and Lightfall was just...not good.

I take that back - not no one - but that tiny segment of the population, of which an even smaller segment plays video games, and an even smaller subset of that...that tiny segment that has a severely untreated mental illness, that demands you call them "xer" or "xim", or "they" or "them" or some other bizarre pronoun - that segment will spend the pre-order money, from all accounts of what I can see and read.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not preordering Final Shape because I hate how I order it in November and don't get charged for it until a week before release in February (or in FS case - June).

As for the other thing Q said - I have been known to say "Maybe Bungie should have spent the money ontheir game development and not putting pronouns in their vidoc videos."
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The story mission this week is in trhe dreaming city doing the deal where you kill the 2 ogres with the fallen cannons.. with new dialouge.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#17]
but you can grind gambit for a random rolled Breakneck.... again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All of the content creators and streamer type dudes are gonna pre-order and play the Final Shape because it's their job.  They got bills to pay.  I predict sales of the Final Shape are just going to be okay, it's not going to be a blockbuster like TTK or Forsaken despite what they may think or say.  This is a rabid ass community they have to answer to that I think has finally reached the point that they're tired of being jerked around by Bungie's shenanigans, which I bet is going to be further exacerbated by the lay offs from October.  

The core player group, guys like the dudes in this thread who have thousands of hours in the game, the kind of guys that don't play this game for a living but will put together a day one raid team, that's the player base that ain't gonna be pre-ordering TFS, they may not even buy it at all.  That's what Bungie should really be worried about, not diversity and inclusivity and he/him or it/they.

I wish I could go knock on the door at Bungie and be like: "You dudes are supposed to make video games.  Make the video game.  Stop trying to drive your agendas, and just make the video game."
View Quote

I owe you an apology.. I never shit on your opinion in public, but I get it now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Full on agree. I can get like 8 different "It's Ok To Be Gay" or transgender or whatever emblems right now...but the last time any new content, or actual good storyline, pretty much ended with Witch Queen and maybe even before that if I'm honest. They certainly didn't put much effort into the raids since then.

No one's going to pre-order Final Shape considering the shitfest that the last few expansions were. Beyond Light was pretty iffy, Witch Queen made a decent effort but kind of fell flat quick, and Lightfall was just...not good.

I take that back - not no one - but that tiny segment of the population, of which an even smaller segment plays video games, and an even smaller subset of that...that tiny segment that has a severely untreated mental illness, that demands you call them "xer" or "xim", or "they" or "them" or some other bizarre pronoun - that segment will spend the pre-order money, from all accounts of what I can see and read.
View Quote

It's not even that.. They push "buildcrafting"  whatever the fuck that means..  You spend time and resources building your toon up only to get alienated every 3 months when your guns/gear or a major component gets nerfed to the ground because it's high on a spreadsheet. Like.. umm Breakneck.  And ALL that stuff gets "sunset" just for them to sell it back to you.

Lets look at the made up term 'buildcrafting" .. 3 seasons of "buildcrafting" comes down to a blanket nerf/consolidation of perks we had in our armor to get taken away and put into the seasonal artifact.

and to add insult to injury, Captain Caveman trots out "stevannie" in all their make belive Barbie glory as a focus. GTFO.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I had more fun playing Remnant 2 for the past month than I've had playing Destiny2 in a LONG time.
Page / 105
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top