Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2024 8:45:50 AM EDT
Are there any design rules when using heat set inserts? I realize this is mostly dependent on type of material and intended use.

Final design will be ASA-CF with the inserts being used in a side load instead of tension.

How far from edge should be considered minimum? How thick should wall be? Can opposite end of insert be showing?

Here is an example would be used in a cube to mount it to a surface. Yes this is extreme but I couldn't find something smaller. Just interested in the side fasteners. Mine would probably be M4x8.1 or M5x9.5
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
DUH!!! Need more coffee. I found the info I was looking for on CNC Kitchen's website.

I hadn't paid enough attention to the pictures of his products.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I was going to say, normally there is hole size specifications and you just want to make sure you have enough side wall thickness. Often it will be like 1.5-2x the thickness of the retaining nubs, so they don't break in to the infill and have enough material left that there is still strength at the points.

Just remember these are more for repeat removability than thread strength in most cases, as often with standard infills you will tare the entire hole out of the printed body before the threads will fail even with out an insert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top