Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/21/2018 10:43:50 AM EDT
I just got the call that my uncle was in a serious accident last night while going to meet my cousins for a hunting trip.

While driving on a two lane road the Deputy attempted to pass a firetruck in front of him and that is when the collision occurred.

Unfortunately the Deputy died of his injuries and my uncle was airlifted to a local hospital.

Please keep the deputies family and my uncle in your prayers.  My uncle  is in very serious condition and the extent of his injuries are not yet known. He is an incredible guy, a pastor of our church, and a great father and uncle.

http://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/article209518544.html

https://www.lakeexpo.com/news/crashes/miller-county-sheriff-s-deputy-killed-in-crash-while-responding/article_32da4b8e-4512-11e8-9b61-275354d234f0.html

With all this his only concern is how is the deputy doing.  They haven't told him.

Eta:  Pics of cars involved here.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/update-missouri-state-highway-patrol-releases-name-of-deputy-killed-in-head-on-crash/732491739

Eta: Here are the injuries my uncle has.

Shattered hip
Shattered heel
Componvb fracture of an ankle
Fractured pelvis
Fractured clavicle
Shattered elbow
Brain bleeding
Fractured eye socket (orbital something)
Several broken ribs

They deleted the pic. Here it is.

https://imgur.com/gallery/fKmQ032

Attachment Attached File

Update 5-11-2018!

My Uncle had the last of his surgeries, for now, this past Monday on his shattered heel. They repaired the damage as best they could but are saying they may need to fuse his ankle down the road.

Today he was transferred to an inpatient rehab center to start the long battle of recovery.

His pain this week has been very high but he was determined to get off the IV pain meds so the transfer could happen.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope your uncle will be ok. That sounds like a total shot show of a situation. Was the fire truck en route or stationary?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope your uncle will be ok. That sounds like a total shot show of a situation. Was the fire truck en route or stationary?
View Quote
I added an article that said the fire truck was en route to a call but did not have their lights and siren on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Sure thing OP. Prayers for everyone involved and their families.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Prayers Sent
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh my! So sorry to hear that. I hope your uncle can recover 100%. Well keep him in our prayers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I added an article that said the fire truck was en route to a call but did not have their lights and siren on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know about MO, but here you're not supposed to overtake another emergency vehicle enroute to a call.

ETA: I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but we're not supposed to do it because it's very dangerous and confusing to motorists.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Prayers for all inbound.

May God be with you all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Prayers Sent
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#10]
All true, but 80% of our calls are without lights or siren - non emergency.

Quoted:

I don't know about MO, but here you're not supposed to overtake another emergency vehicle enroute to a call.

ETA: I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but we're not supposed to do it because it's very dangerous and confusing to motorists.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#11]
We just had a class on why no call is worth dying for trying to get to...

Way too many officers throw caution to the wind when respondingz
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Disregard.  I was a "reading is for faggots" tard.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
And plus (since you are in Texas), don't die in Oklahoma, too.

Remember the scene in the classic 1967 "Bonnie and Clyde" film.

When the two Texas Rangers are chasing B&C in a high speed motor vehicle chase, and the senior Ranger, sitting in the passenger seat, orders the Ranger who is driving to
stop and break it off, when B&C cross the Oklahoma State Line.

Quote from him: "I refuse to die in Oklahoma!"

Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Dang hope everything turns out ok with your Uncle
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Prayers sent to your Uncle and to the Sheriff's family.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#17]
prayers for you and yours
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn prayers to your family and the deputies.

Not that you care about money at this point or I’m suggesting a lawsuit, but my friend had the same thing happen here. Exact same situation but not a fire truck they tried to whip around and pass. She just broke her arm. They paid medical bills and 300k and I don’t think she even tried to get money.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn. You can see the deputy was dead on the scene. The firefighters are trying to help your uncle as they could tell there was no help for the deputy. That’s a horrible image.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just got the call that my uncle was in a serious accident last night while going to meet my cousins for a hunting trip.

While driving on a two lane road the Deputy attempted to pass a firetruck in front of him and that is when the collision occurred.

Unfortunately the Deputy died of his injuries and my uncle was airlifted to a local hospital.

Please keep the deputies family and my uncle in your prayers.  My uncle  is in very serious condition and the extent of his injuries are not yet known. He is an incredible guy, a pastor of our church, and a great father and uncle.

http://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/article209518544.html

https://www.lakeexpo.com/news/crashes/miller-county-sheriff-s-deputy-killed-in-crash-while-responding/article_32da4b8e-4512-11e8-9b61-275354d234f0.html

Eta:  I just got off the phone with my cousin.  My uncle is awake and talking. Multiple fractures, large wounds, and the biggest immediate concern is bleeding in his brain.

With all this his only concern is how is the deputy doing.  They haven't told him.

Eta:  Pics of cars involved here.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/update-missouri-state-highway-patrol-releases-name-of-deputy-killed-in-head-on-crash/732491739
View Quote
Small world, this is where I live. Son's bus was delayed last night because of the accident, I didn't find out the details until this morning at the barber shop. Deputy was with the local town PD before he got the job at the MCSO, folks in town knew him pretty well.
 Prayers out to your uncle and your family, hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Damn prayers to your family and the deputies.

Not that you care about money at this point or I’m suggesting a lawsuit, but my friend had the same thing happen here. Exact same situation but not a fire truck they tried to whip around and pass. She just broke her arm. They paid medical bills and 300k and I don’t think she even tried to get money.
View Quote
Photo in the article shows the accident occurred in a double yellow zone, too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Prayers for all inbound.

May God be with you all.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#23]
That sucks all the way around.

I hope your uncle makes a full and speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Deputy screwed up big time and paid for it, unfortunately an innocent man is also going to have issues for the rest of his life as well- hopefully the agency takes care of him and his bills.  As noted, two emergency vehicles in the same area can be really bad juju.  More emergency responders are injured and killed responding to calls than any other part of our jobs- and it's largely avoidable.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#25]
26 years old. Senseless tragedy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Sad for all involved.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Jesus. Hope your uncle gets better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Dang. I lived in Miller county for 7 years. Some friends of mine posted this on FB last night.

Prayers very much in bound.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Here is hoping your uncle makes a full recovery.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow!

I hope your uncle recovers quickly.

Sorry for the trooper's family.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Really unfortunate.

I learned in FTO You never pass a fire truck or a ambulance on the way to a call unless they pull over. You'll get there when you get there.

WIN. What's Important Now.

He was young. My condolences for his family. Sad day.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Prayers for your uncle and the deputies family.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#33]
So sorry to hear this, hope your uncle has a full recovery
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Prayers for your uncle and family and the deputy's family.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow, prayers for those involved.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Excellent advise. I’ve seen way too many guys take huge risks to get to a scene a few seconds faster in situations were a few seconds won’t make a bit of difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned in FTO You never pass a fire truck or a ambulance on the way to a call unless they pull over. You'll get there when you get there.

WIN. What's Important Now.
Excellent advise. I’ve seen way too many guys take huge risks to get to a scene a few seconds faster in situations were a few seconds won’t make a bit of difference.
They used to beat it out heads.

Buddy had a pretty interesting time with a cop who started chewing his ass on a car wreck scene for not yielding to him on the way over while he was in the rescue truck. Even threatened to ticket him. Both were running code 3.

My buddy didn’t hide his feelings and spoke his mind which made the cop even madder. Thankfully some leadership showed up and cooled it down.

They always told us that best case scenario in a wreck you’re still out of the game. Worst case is a situation like this thread is about. I think too many underestimate the danger they are in while en route to calls. Everybody thinks the Fire/bad guy is going to get them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Prayers said for all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Prayers out to all involved...I hope your uncle completely recovers OP...TBI's are bad bad news...
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Deputy screwed up big time and paid for it, unfortunately an innocent man is also going to have issues for the rest of his life as well- hopefully the agency takes care of him and his bills.  
View Quote
I fully expect the agency to find some crime to charge OP's uncle with.    "One of us is dead because of this man."

Flame away, I don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Your uncle needs legal representation for the impending attempts to blame him for the accident/death.
No "interviews " by LEO!
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
In all likelyhood he was not responding

Most i have seen drive like tards

Saw one this morning do a six Point U-turn  in the middle of a highway with lots of traffic without running his lights. (Removed -40xb)
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I fully expect the agency to find some crime to charge OP's uncle with.    "One of us is dead because of this man."

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deputy screwed up big time and paid for it, unfortunately an innocent man is also going to have issues for the rest of his life as well- hopefully the agency takes care of him and his bills.  

Well that was the dumbest shit i've read all day. Congrats.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seen it happen in real life

I testified against a state trooper for pulling that crap on someone on an accident i witnessed in front of my house

Trooper had 4 witnesses against his testimony and they did nothing to the officer for lying under oath
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Prayers out to all involved...I hope your uncle completely recovers OP...TBI's are bad bad news...
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, par for the course with him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Am i the only one who doesnt see pics of the vehicles in the articles?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Prayers to everyone involved. Even if the Deputy was negligent, he paid the price. Terrible for everyone on both sides.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top