Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2018 4:04:39 PM EDT
Bought an old truck, front bumper is bowed out with a dent on top. Shouldn't I be able to just run into a tree or pole and straighten it back out? Then hammer the dent flush from the bottom? Comments?

Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
why bother?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL. Sure, and please post the after pics.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course. Please video it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You towed it by the bumper didn't you?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Video? So you think it will take more than one hit?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You towed it by the bumper didn't you?
View Quote
Why would I tow it? It's not a Ford.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is speed dependent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is speed dependent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is speed dependent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Take bumper off, place between a flat 6x6 and long 4x4 then hammer it like you would want to hammer Taylor Swift.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LOL. Sure, and please post the after pics.
View Quote
This

A/M bumper for those are cheap! You will make it look worse if you try to straighten it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]
come on OP, much easier ways of doing this...place about .25 lb of C4 directly on the bend appex. Now dont use any more than .25lb of C4, cuz its kinda dangerous stuff.
ok, ok, I digress, now place a kitchen serving plate ( wife wont care) over the C4 & strap it down with some duct tape real tight, if you dont have duct tape, any 'ol tape will do, but "duct tape" sounds alot cooler & manly, and stuff. Use all you can, its gotta be tight.
This all will form like a super duper metal bending shape charge.
Then light that sucker off, if you dont have the applicable charge igniter, just shoot at ita few times!!
Once it detonates, it will push that hardened, tripple chrome plated steel, reinforced bumper exactly right back where it belongs, easy peasy.
btw, post vid will ya, cuz I only "heard" that this will work, never actually seen it done.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Naw, just get it up around 25-30 and it should pop right back.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I straightened the rear bumper in my F150 with a tree. I figured if a tree could peel it back like that in a 3mph 4x4 mis adventure then a but of 4 low and another tree could fix it. Worked like a charm. Just take it slowly so you don't damage any sheet metal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Use a bottle jack and a wedge shape piece of wood on the ground to get the right angle to push it from the back and under.

The weight of the truck pushing down should allow you to get most of the dent out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I hit the passenger side of my '89 Ramcharger bumper and bent it.  I tied a piece of old 7/16 static climbing rope to it and the other end to a large tree, put the truck in 4L and backed up slowly.  Two tugs and it looked nearly  perfect.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#16]
$199

EZ Button
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$199

EZ Button
View Quote
$169 on eBay.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Use a bottle jack and a wedge shape piece of wood on the ground to get the right angle to push it from the back and under.

The weight of the truck pushing down should allow you to get most of the dent out.
View Quote
I would take a similar approach. Pull the truck up close to a tree or solid wall. Place bottle jack with a wood block between bumper and wall. Slowly pump bottle jack at small incriments, intermittantly climbing under truck to pound the dent up using a 3 or 9 pound hammer and a length of hardwood to get to it.

Should work very well. I have straightened dozens of bumbers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Our local chrome shop used to take bumpers like that and dechrome them, straighten them and then rechrome them, all for about the same price as a new one...nice thing was their chrome was much better quality then the factory did...if you try to do it yourself, most likely you will not get it straight, and you will crack the chrome...
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would take a similar approach. Pull the truck up close to a tree or solid wall. Place bottle jack with a wood block between bumper and wall. Slowly pump bottle jack at small incriments, intermittantly climbing under truck to pound the dent up using a 3 or 9 pound hammer and a length of hardwood to get to it.

Should work very well. I have straightened dozens of bumbers.
View Quote
You need driving lessons.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Our local chrome shop used to take bumpers like that and dechrome them, straighten them and then rechrome them, all for about the same price as a new one...nice thing was their chrome was much better quality then the factory did...if you try to do it yourself, most likely you will not get it straight, and you will crack the chrome...
View Quote
What the hell do you know about trucks fool!

Oh...

Nice Chevy!  
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]
A little hammer and hate fixes every thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top