Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 6:01:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople]
Source

"A Delta Air Lines flight that departed from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City was forced to make an emergency return to the airport Friday morning after an emergency slide came apart from the Boeing 767, the airline said. A search for the slide was ongoing.

"After the aircraft had safely landed and proceeded to a gate, it was observed that the emergency slide had separated from the aircraft," a Delta spokesperson said in a statement to NPR Friday afternoon.

In a statement, the Federal Aviation Administration said Delta Flight 520 "returned safely to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York around 8:35 a.m. local time on Friday, April 26, after the crew reported a vibration. The FAA will investigate.""

Boeing 767 slide deployment system test - US Airways
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Things fall off Boeings all the time, no big deal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Can a slide withstand a fatty?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:04:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#3]
I am going more with a maintenance issue or FAA letting it fly passengers that long than being Boeings fault.....based on the following in OP's link:

"An aircraft is generally operable for an average of 30 years before being decommissioned, according to Flexport, a global logistics workflow company. The aircraft involved in Friday's incident is around 34 years old, and its expiration date was previously May 2028, according to the Federal Aviation Administration."

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing was mentioned about any doors opening. How does the slide detach if any doors weren't opened?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
See? yet another positive of living in the flight path.

Wish for a giant inflatable thing, get one air delivered!

(toddles off to craigslist to see if it is for sale yet)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mouthpiece] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Nothing was mentioned about any doors opening. How does the slide detach if any doors weren't opened?
View Quote

Some acft have Overwing slides which have a small door on the fuselage skin just sbove the wing just aft of the overwing emergency exit doors.
It's not inside the fuselage.

Edit; i know the 757 has the above mentioned config and many features of the 767 are similiar but I didn't work on those so idk for sure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
See? yet another positive of living in the flight path.

Wish for a giant inflatable thing, get one air delivered!

(toddles off to craigslist to see if it is for sale yet)
View Quote

Fuck yes. I’d love to have one of those things.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Ya know what’s going to slide? The Boeing stock price.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
Things fall off Boeings all the time, no big deal.
View Quote
Just part and parcel of living in a third world banana republic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The 767 is a tough fucking aircraft.

Just one of those things.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mouthpiece:

Some acft have Overwing slides which have a small door on the fuselage skin just sbove the wing just aft of the overwing emergency exit doors.

Edit; i know the 757 has the above mentioned config and many features of the 767 are similiar but I didn't work on those so idk for sure.
View Quote

The slide didn't work on the left side in this crash as you can see the ladder, all three went out the right side of the aircraft where the slide did deploy:

No clue what went wrong on that 757, of course no slides over the wings as it is not needed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Kind of wondering how this happened…?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
No matter what happened, to that 33 year old plane, Boeing is getting another bitch slap.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeInMediocrity] [#15]
In an earlier statement, Delta said the flight crew had observed a "flight deck indication related to the right wing emergency exit slide, as well as a sound from near the right wing."

The plane, a Boeing 767-300 that was delivered to Delta in 1990...
View Quote
I do not blame Boeing for this.  It's like saying, "I bought a Chevy 34 years ago and something fell off of it yesterday."  Edit: Or better yet, the guy at the oil change place forgot to tighten the drain plug.  The drain plug fell out, all the oil spilled out on the roadway. The engine seized.  All Chevy's fault.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Not your father's Boeing.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#17]
‘Member the whistleblower that got suicided just before testifying?

I ‘member.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

The 767 has slides mounted in wing compartments as well, which allow passengers to get to the ground from the overwing emergency exits.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Overwing escape slide container probably opened up during flight and the slide just ripped out of container due to the flight speed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

The slide didn't work on the left side in this crash as you can see the ladder, all three went out the right side of the aircraft where the slide did deploy:

https://dims.apnews.com/dims4/default/5b5ebb3/2147483647/strip/true/crop/4725x3150+0+0/resize/1440x960!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.apnews.com%2F46%2Fb9%2F72fbd357d856f9555a23b2704ce3%2F4a7c309140704db395c74f4a1b112e20

No clue what went wrong on that 757, of course no slides over the wings as it is not needed.
View Quote

You will be surprise how much weight gets removed from a converted passenger aircraft for cargo operations.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

767 slides are external. Theyre stowed under the door in a separate compartment because they’re so large. They function as both slides and rafts. They’re really f’ing big.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Sent to my BIL who flies 767’s for Delta🤣
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Not unusual... has happened several times with the 767.

I don't think the overwing slides had an epirb either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Somewhere in the tri-state area, some kids now have the coolest Slip 'n Slide just in time for summer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They are similiar
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DD1801:
View Quote

The slide pack was replaced by maintenance at JFK which requires an inspector, we do these often as they are replaced on a hour/time based criteria.

The door is locked in placed mechanically and unlocked in an emergency when the over wing door is opened which starts a sequence of events. An electrical signal is sent to a door actuator explosive squib which pops open the door linkage.

At the end of the installation you are required to use a pull gage on the door to ensure the door is latched properly.  Before you install the slide you inspect the mechanical linkage and locks to verify proper working order.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Not your father's Boeing.

View Quote

Actually, it is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:45:21 AM EDT
[#28]

https://dims.apnews.com/dims4/default/5b5ebb3/2147483647/strip/true/crop/4725x3150+0+0/resize/1440x960!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.apnews.com%2F46%2Fb9%2F72fbd357d856f9555a23b2704ce3%2F4a7c309140704db395c74f4a1b112e20

View All Quotes

The reason the slide wasn't activated on the left side is because the crew used the slide on the right side and in order to access the aircraft someone had disarmed that slide in order to place a ladder there.

You will bust your ass trying to climb up that right hand slide.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:58:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1BMF] [#29]
Originally Posted By cda97:

The reason the slide wasn't activated on the left side is because the crew used the slide on the right side and in order to access the aircraft someone had disarmed that slide in order to place a ladder there.

View All Quotes

You are both wrong. The 757 has a ladder on the left door and they casually climbed down. The slide is only deployed to throw all the boxes out of the plane.

The delta 767 lost their slide because they didn’t ask for a ride report and flew through some light chop.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:59:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 1BMF:

You are both wrong. The 757 has a ladder on the left door and they casually climbed down. The slide is only deployed to throw all the boxes out of the plane.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1BMF:

That would make it faster
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:34:01 AM EDT
[#31]

The slide pack was replaced by maintenance at JFK which requires an inspector, we do these often as they are replaced on a hour/time based criteria.

The door is locked in placed mechanically and unlocked in an emergency when the over wing door is opened which starts a sequence of events. An electrical signal is sent to a door actuator explosive squib which pops open the door linkage.

At the end of the installation you are required to use a pull gage on the door to ensure the door is latched properly.  Before you install the slide you inspect the mechanical linkage and locks to verify proper working order.
View All Quotes

Thanks.

On the 707s I flew, we had crew arm the slides to the main crew entry door and the aft crew entry door via a strap that hooked from the door to the floor of the cabin.  Rudimentry by today’s standards.  So, for a slide to open/inflate someone would have to open one of the doors manually, or disconnect and pull on the strap.  The slide was packed into the bottom of the door if I remember correctly.  

The overwing rafts were deployed manually after opening the overwing hatches.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Just part and parcel of living in a third world banana republic.
View Quote

Unfortunately, this
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Thanks.

On the 707s I flew, we had crew arm the slides to the main crew entry door and the aft crew entry door via a strap that hooked from the door to the floor of the cabin.  Rudimentry by today’s standards.  So, for a slide to open/inflate someone would have to open one of the doors manually, or disconnect and pull on the strap.  The slide was packed into the bottom of the door if I remember correctly.  

View All Quotes

Thanks.

Still have slides armed/activated the same way on some aircraft, you place the slide girt bar into the floor fittings.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Boeing's fault  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

767 slides are external. Theyre stowed under the door in a separate compartment because they’re so large. They function as both slides and rafts. They’re really f’ing big.
View Quote

767 slides are in the (entry and service) door. Remove the slide and if you unlatch the door to open it you better be hanging on to it.
The slide that popped was probably an overwing.
And I would be looking at the maintenance guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top