nothing to see here folks...
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Dayum!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of reaction did the a/c have, wherever you were at in the landing?

Was it like "oh, huh...that looks bad", or "oh, fuck!"
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like to see a couple of photos of an undamaged link.
View Quote

I never get to see the flaps down under normal situations.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What kind of reaction did the a/c have, wherever you were at in the landing?

Was it like "oh, huh...that looks bad", or "oh, fuck!"
View Quote

That's the interesting thing. We had no indications upon landing.

The flap apparently extended fully.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats one of those times you tell MX to "fix this POS" and walk away....
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thats one of those times you tell MX to "fix this POS" and walk away....
View Quote

Fix this junk...I'll be at the bar!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't have access to drawings now, or I would dig them up.

The trusses that support the leading edge flaps were sized by the Russian contingent.  I don't know whether they worked on that mechanism, I worked on -8 wing ribs for almost 11 months and I found another assignment as quickly as I could.

View Quote

By Russian contingent do you mean, "this thickness material, and then add 20% for 'robustness'"?

Robust: some say it means "sturdy"!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't have access to drawings now, or I would dig them up.

The trusses that support the leading edge flaps were sized by the Russian contingent.  I don't know whether they worked on that mechanism, I worked on -8 wing ribs for almost 11 months and I found another assignment as quickly as I could.

View Quote

The plot thickens!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Well that's something you don't see everyday. I was just there less than 24 hours ago.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:38:27 AM EDT
[#14]
When did you notice it?   Postflight walkaround?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#15]
At least it a good place to break. Heavy MX there.

If it broke in CSX we'd never get it back.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When did you notice it?   Postflight walkaround?
View Quote

I had not even gotten out of the seat yet, when the maintenance tech entered the cockpit with his phone showing me the picture. He said, in that quintessential Hong Kong British accent, "Captain this does not look good".

I knew she was a broke bird for sure.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
At least it a good place to break. Heavy MX there.

If it broke in CSX we'd never get it back.
View Quote

It was still there two days latter when we flew ICN-HKG-ANC.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There I was, flying rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong, when this predicament happened.

Hong Kong is not a place to get stuck these days as this bird was down hard AOG. Luckily, there was a sister ship inbound in 6 hours to rescue us.

View Quote

Help us earthbound folks understand.
Covid related?  Or?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Help us earthbound folks understand.
Covid related?  Or?
View Quote

Yes, Red Commie bastards have taken over the place. Forced quarantine if you come up hot in spartan conditions with no control over your fate.

HK will never be the same. I am just glad that I got to see the city in all its glory.

I am counting down the days to an early retirement. It be crazy out there, yo!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]
We had Russian engineers at Boeing Wichita, and I’ve been gone from there for 20 years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Russian engineers are contracted by Boeing to support commercial airplane work.  The help they provided on 747-8 was limited, on 777X there was a much larger contingent and the work they provided was starting to expand.  I think the -8 group worked essentially through a Russian contract company, the 777X engineers were BCA employees.

Here's an old article:  Boeing-Moscow Design Center

The -8 engineers appear to have been employees, too.

During the -8 work the Russians were using an old two dimensional finite element program from one of the software packages for sizing those leading edge trusses.  Someone decided that this particular program had to be sensitive IP (after all its a FINITE ELEMENT PROGRAM, so it has to be super special proprietary work!!!), so it was pulled from their use.  So here they are, in the middle of sizing and an unchanging schedule, and the tool they need to make the work go fast, goes away.  They were not happy, and let everyone know.  I told one of the managers in the chain that there was nothing sensitive about the program in any way, it's an old McDonnell Aircraft program that had been in use since at least 1980 and probably earlier, and that undergrads all over the planet write a similar program every year.  It was restored in a few days.

The reason I would like to see an intact link is to see if there is a bend at the location where this one failed.  I see a problem anyway, but a bend insures a problem part of that configuration.  I also know who signed it off as the lead, and he was not mentally fit at the time.
View Quote

Dang, interesting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#22]
That's an interesting failure point. Only on the one section and only at the forward rotating part(or whatever it's called)
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dayum!
View Quote

Whelp, I think I found the problem.....

Seriously, that’s impressive to see on an aircraft that big
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#26]
At least it’s still attached to the aircraft!

We had a B-52 #2 flap depart an aircraft last spring. IMO, I think the aft jackscrew bearing crapped out or seized and the jack screw sheared itself off. Half of the flap was never found. The other half fell off on the runway as it was coming to a stop.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Check the Required Parts flight list and see if you can retract and lock out both sides. Call Boeing and get them to ship them to a base you're going to that has maintenance capabilities. Change out damaged parts. Keep on flying.
Also, review flight records to see if anyone saw a gut who looked like he was wearing a rug on the wing during flight. Or William Shatner was on board.
I hate Kruegers. I hate designing them, writing up maint procedures, remove and replace procedure. Slats are much easier.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#28]
So a max speed of about 800-850 mph?

Nine pieces of 100 mph tape.  

20% Safety margin?  Add at least two more pieces of tape.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#29]
What the hell happened to snap those parts like that?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Check the Required Parts flight list and see if you can retract and lock out both sides. Call Boeing and get them to ship them to a base you're going to that has maintenance capabilities. Change out damaged parts. Keep on flying.
Also, review flight records to see if anyone saw a gut who looked like he was wearing a rug on the wing during flight. Or William Shatner was on board.
I hate Kruegers. I hate designing them, writing up maint procedures, remove and replace procedure. Slats are much easier.
View Quote

I don't even remember if our (modified B707) performance data had numbers for taking off with no leading edge devices?  Sure, we had landing data for no leading edge devices, but I just don't know about takeoff data. @aramp1

That's crazy, thanks for sharing OP.  Glad you got 'er down safely.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What the hell happened to snap those parts like that?
View Quote

I wish I knew.

I would have expected a little more from a 200 million dollar airplane...
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#32]
My guess is overspeed of the flaps.

Maybe from a previous flight crew.  The hinges were probably damaged from overspeeding the flaps at one time but not to the extent of what we see here, cracked but not completely separated until you extended the flaps and those two hinges finally failed from the force of the air stream.

I wonder what the other side looks like.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:05:23 AM EDT
[#33]
In my opinion this thread should be removed to protect the OP.

@shotar
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In my opinion this thread should be removed to protect the OP.

@shotar
View Quote

Protect the OP from what or who?

Everyone that needs to know about this already does and I'm sure the OP has been interviewed ad nauseum about the incident.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#35]
OP request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top