Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2021 8:44:28 PM EST
I've got an elderly friend who's into WoW.    They got a Dell Optiplex 7010 but the onboard Intel video sucks.    I'm showing an i5-3470, 16GB RAM in the slimline case.    From what I see online it's got one PCIE slot and a 250W power supply.   No power connectors for the video card.    Suggestions on a decent and preferably inexpensive video card?   I'll probably be paying for it and there's a chance I'll be driving to another state to install it.   I've seen some discussion online of a HD 7470 or a HD 7570.  It needs a vga port or a DVI I can connect VGA to w/ an adapter.    If it was local and non proprietary hardware the decision would be much easier but w/ the potential of driving hundreds of miles to install, or sending it to a non tech to install the options go down.      Short because of room in the case, low profile, no power connectors, will work on a 250 PS, and VGA connector is a pain.  Fortunately she's not a power gamer works decent is acceptable.  It doesn't need 120 fps at 4K.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:18:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/5/2021 9:22:48 PM EST by the-fly]
about the only video card that will meet your requirements is an Nvidia 1050.  Some 1650's will also work (if they don't require a  PCI-e power cable)

Sadly GPU's are in VERY short supply right now, so keeping checking Newegg and Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:31:42 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By the-fly:
about the only video card that will meet your requirements is an Nvidia 1050.  Some 1650's will also work (if they don't require a  PCI-e power cable)

Sadly GPU's are in VERY short supply right now, so keeping checking Newegg and Amazon.
View Quote
I was looking at 1030s and 1050s I got back to this.   Pickings are slim, expensive in some cases for what I'm looking for, and missing things that I need for this.   I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:36:57 AM EST
How about a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti .  According to Gigabyte's website, it doesn't have a power connector, but you would have to upgrade to a 300 watt power supply.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:18:39 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vulcan94:
How about a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti .  According to Gigabyte's website, it doesn't have a power connector, but you would have to upgrade to a 300 watt power supply.

Vulcan94
View Quote

I bet you wouldn't.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:39:28 AM EST
Upgrade got called off.  They got a new (to them at least) computer.  Supposedly it's "a lot better" but I have no clue what the stats are.
Top Top