Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2020 2:58:19 PM EDT
I had a pair of basic Wahls that gave up the other day.

I bought pair of cheap Remington ($15) because that’s all the store had. They are awful. I couldn’t even cut my two sons’ hair with them the motor was so weak and slow.

Any suggestions on a new pair? All of the Wahls are out of stock on Amazon.

I’m open to corded or cordless. I’d like to stay around $50.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Walmart.  They typically carry Wahl brand clippers back in the razor department.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Oster Classic 76 is what you seek.  A little pricey but they will last you for years.

Amazon Product
  • Comes with blades 000 and 1
  • Comes with one year manufacture warranty
  • Made in USA

ETA:  just read the $50 part.  You're throwing your money away at that price.  Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Since 2011 I've used an Andis Excel 2-Speed, miles better than the Wahl junk I used to use from walmart.  The Andis clippers aren't cheap, but I've let 4 or 5 friends use them, and they all ended up buying the same exact one for themselves afterward, no one has had any issues.

https://barber-and-beauty.andis.com/product/excel-2-speed-detachable-blade-clipper/?item-no=22315
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting something good for $50 is tough.

I'd recommend a Wahl Super Taper. It's available on Ebay but will set you back over $115 give or take. But at about $15 per hair cut I've long recouped my money.

Quality takes some cash. I've used a Super Taper for many years (10+) and it's not let me down. Clean it, oil it, etc.

I'm using mine about three times per month for me (my wife likes me to have short hair) and about once a month for my son.

Still cuts like day one...

Have fun and if in doubt just cut it off....

Edited to add: the Oster is a great machine but a little more pricey I think ($160 to $180). And don't but the cheap version from Walmart.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Wahl Peanut. It's small, but works fine for what hair I have left.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
First, stop buying your clippers from Walmart. All they stock is cheap, disposable crap.

Second, hit your local beauty supply stores to see what's available for low/mid-grade professional equipment. You'll pay more going in, but you get a much stronger motor, precision blades that can be sharpened, real switches that won't fall apart, and heavy duty cords with proper strain-relief so you won't develop a short in the cord. Buy once, cry once.

Third, keep them clean and oiled. Even the best clippers will cut like shit if they're all gummed up with hair and old oil.

I've had this one for a few years now, and it's been holding up fine, for an inexpensive clipper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H7O5M0/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_B9R4Eb70TJAG4
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Wahl Pilot is about 2/3 the size of regular clippers. It's sturdy and does not pull or snag in your hair. I fully believe this clipper will last the rest of my lifetime and I have a ways to go yet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought the Osters and the Andis purple magnetic guards. Seems pretty good so far.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

These rock
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got a Wahl for $40 two months ago.  Has 12 guides for the clipper.  Can be charged or just used plugged in on the cord.  I'm happy so far.

ETA   I cut my own hair as well as trim my beard.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I use to knock the beard down, if I'm not going to shave this is it.  They are on the pricy side but there's nothing like them that I have found.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the same clippers my barber does, actually I use the trimmer almost exclusively for my hair (skin job) and the clipper for my kids.

Andis brand, link is above.  Wasn’t too much more than the wahl, remington, and osters x2 i went through in the last 15 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top