Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Our medics accidentally killed people with versed an succicholine.

Should be simple enough.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Liquid Plumber should do the trick.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The electric chair and the firing squad are two options available to death row prisoners after legislators altered the state’s capital punishment law last year in an effort to work around a decade-long pause in executions, attributed to the corrections agency’s inability to procure lethal injection drugs.

Fentanyl seems like an obvious solution.
View Quote

They can get nitrogen from the local Airgas/Linde/Praxair.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I favor killing them however they killed their victims.  Shot in the chest at point-blank range? Fine.  Strangled nearly to death, set on fire, dumped in a lake? Fine.  Stabbed 87 times? Fine.
Make the punishment fit the crime.  They can enjoy the terror their victims did.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hold your breath.

View Quote

How high do you estimate you could get your partial pressure of C02 by holding your breath for a couple minutes?

When was the last time you ran an arterial blood gas on someone who was hypercarbic?

Clinically speaking, what does someone with a partial pressure C02 of 80-90 look like to you?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's pretty easy to come up with ways to kill people.

The problem is that the execution methods... the exact protocols of drugs have to be both FDA approved medications as well as from normal medical supply chains, AND have to be sanctioned by the courts. Using any different kind of drug turns into a decades-long legal battle to get the courts to approve the new protocol as not cruel or unusual punishment.

Once the courts give their approval, then the medical supply places refuse to sell the medications to the state governments (which is the problem with the current protocols.)

In some cases the states have the medications, but they're past their expiration dates so can't be used.

One of the benefits of the nitrogen idea is that since it's not a medication, there are no issues with FDA approvals or medical supply chains.

I'm not an anesthesiologist but I've kinda cringed at both the existing lethal injection protocols as well as some pretty wacky proposals I've read about. I'm convinced in some cases the protocols were intended to result in botched or "problematic" executions, for the purpose either of cruelty or else to sabotage the death penalty. I know that there is a contingent that decry the perceived lack of cruelty of lethal injection vs electrocution or gas chamber, and it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't an attempt to kind of drag out the process.

There was a serious proposal at one time for the use of a cocktail of chemotherapy drugs for lethal injections. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the result of that would be.

I have heard a comment from a political/legal type that what would seem like an obvious way to kill someone via OD of a narcotic or anesthetic drug, they won't use because of the perception of a "high" or intoxication before death.
View Quote

I appreciate your insight.

Sounds like politics and pencil pushers fucking up the machine.....which is typical.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#7]
While clearly not applicable to those we know are total shitbags (which is our own subjective view and not something legally definable), don’t cheer on the death penalty because if the Left had their way YOU would be at the end of a rope.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nitrogen asphyxia.  Safe, simple, humane, effective, inexpensive.  Literately no down-sides that I can think of.  No clue why it's not the standard.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why don't they just use any fentanyl they take in as evidence?  Seems to kill crackhead's pretty effectively
View Quote

So to address this(and any other "use this" ) drug question(NO, CO2, CO, ect) . ... BY LAW, any drug legally used in the US must pass 2 bars .

1. SAFE IE  it must not cause harm greater than the untreated disease.( so benedryl is sleepy inducing, but that is a minor inconvience to sneezing every 3 seconds. ect., chemotherapy drugs(which are SUPER TOXIC and HUGELY bad side effects) prevent cancer so they are legal, use them for allergies (even if they worked) and it wouldnt be safe )
2. EFFECTIVE. IE if benedryl is "for allergy relief" and it doesnt work on most people(or even some). then it isnt effective for the condidtion or symptom it is supposed to treat. Can a person(not company) take tylenol for hay fever? sure, can a company sell said Tylenol  with the intent to treat hay fever knowing it doesnt do anything for it? NO.

So lets look at any drug(which CO2 likely is a drug medically, maybe used in small doses to adjust blood PH; Fentanyl (drug for pain management), CO (dunno, maybe blood PH, or binding of other stuff to blood in small doses, not my background). IF the intended use of the drug is "to kill someone" by definition it CANNOT be safely used. I mean while it WOULD be EFFECTIVE it is not SAFE, and thus cannot be licensed by hte FDA for use. So the FDA CANNOT legally authorize the use, a doctor CANNOT legally use the drug . The lethal injection cocktail drugs are all separately used in several other uses(paralytic is used by EMT's for intubation, the heart stopping one is micro dosed to deal with heart electrical activity stuff IIRC), ect. So soon as a doctor says "hey im going to use this drug to cause death..." "SAFE" is pretty hard to argue, so  the FDA gets... pissed.

If you said " im buying this gun so shoot XYZ person and kill them" any gun store says "DENIED" on the 4473, which is essentially what the shortage comes down to. The states CAN'T legally import the compounds because the FDA determines that "killing a prisoner" isn't "SAFE" per the law( meaning for the patient/prisoner/victim/, not the public at large).  The effectiveness isnt argued, just the "safety of patient" , when you say "condition to be cured by administration of this drug is "alive" " it is hard to argue "SAFE".
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#10]
We just need to contact Spectre:

https://youtu.be/v7cEnaXU8Ec?list=TLGGJu-8wrz9oAAxMTA0MjAyMg

12 seconds….and a shoe, to boot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Plenty of Fentanyl around...
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Plenty of Fentanyl around...
View Quote

Honestly that would be significantly more humane than what we’re using now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Don’t Leo’s confiscate enough fentanyl to kill a billion people every week ?  There you go.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Hammer, fall from Helo, feed to crocodiles, tie to train tracks, the same the method the convicted used on their victims....
I'm going with same method they used on their victims...
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Go to the local vet and use what they use to put dogs down
View Quote

Actually the horse pink shot.  That shit is nearly instant.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I favor killing them however they killed their victims.  Shot in the chest at point-blank range? Fine.  Strangled nearly to death, set on fire, dumped in a lake? Fine.  Stabbed 87 times? Fine.
Make the punishment fit the crime.  They can enjoy the terror their victims did.
View Quote

Bingo. Who the fuck cares about being humane?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#19]
How about helium
Everyone would be laughing when it was over well except for one
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I figured he meant carbon monoxide or CO.

But where do you get the idea that high C02 levels cause choking and gagging?
View Quote

High CO2 levels in the body is what triggers the respiratory drive.  Maybe the words choking and gagging should be replaced by "gasping", but basically its an accurate statement.  If you want to "gas" people, use a gas that does not trigger the respiratory drive, such as CO or N2 (preferred since N2 is cheap, non toxic, and easy to handle).
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How about helium
Everyone would be laughing when it was over well except for one
View Quote

Helium is expensive.  It would work for sure, but N2 is a lot cheaper and work just as well.

Or use this.  All you'd have to do to maintain it is wash off the blood and occasionally oil the blade.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The electric chair and the firing squad are two options available to death row prisoners after legislators altered the state’s capital punishment law last year in an effort to work around a decade-long pause in executions, attributed to the corrections agency’s inability to procure lethal injection drugs.

View Quote

Ceiling Cat said it. Fentanyl.  Send them off in a happy way
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What's with the sandbags?
View Quote

It cuts down on the sprawl

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I had hip replacements, one in '20 and the other in '21. The anesthesia guys were amazing! And, yeah, they could easily put a person down for good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always wonder about the restrictions they must place on the drugs they choose for lethal injections.

I've read about too many botched lethal injections over the years.

As an anesthesia provider I can open the drawer on my cart and easily pick out a half dozen drugs that could quickly and peacefully kill someone.

I imagine they don't want therapeutic medication used for executions....shrug.

I had hip replacements, one in '20 and the other in '21. The anesthesia guys were amazing! And, yeah, they could easily put a person down for good.

Yeah, they don’t get paid to put you to sleep. They get paid to make sure you wake up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Bottle of vodka, Walther Model 2, case of ammo, and Vasily Blokhin. That'll clear the backlog.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw that in a Heinlein book.
Guy was convicted of reckless driving causing injury.
They held him down, drove a car over his leg, and the ambulance crew just stood there waiting for the response time it originally took for the victim to get EMS services. Then they stabilized his leg, put him on a gurney and took him to the hospital.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why don't they just use any fentanyl they take in as evidence?  Seems to kill crackhead's pretty effectively
View Quote

You beat me to it.  

So deadly you don't need a needle, just smear it on their skin.  /sarc
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

CO2 would be torture. It's what triggers the suffocation feeling. Just about anything else, you don't know you're suffocating.
View Quote

Sounds like a feature, not a bug.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Helium is expensive.  It would work for sure, but N2 is a lot cheaper and work just as well.
View Quote

Couple of elite Ann Arbor university students offed themselves with Helium.
They saw some kind of inflatable advertising prop filled with Helium, they managed to climb in and bounce around happily until they passed out.
You can tell that school has high academic standards.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I do not trust my government with the power to execute its citizens.

I am also unconvinced that the death penalty is an effective deterrent.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

High CO2 levels in the body is what triggers the respiratory drive.  Maybe the words choking and gagging should be replaced by "gasping", but basically its an accurate statement.  If you want to "gas" people, use a gas that does not trigger the respiratory drive, such as CO or N2 (preferred since N2 is cheap, non toxic, and easy to handle).

View Quote

Thanks for the education.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I believe the problem is none of the drug suppliers want to be involved with the politics and emotions of capitol punishment
View Quote

Correct.  Companies have actually temporarily stopped producing some drugs that had useful medical purposes because they were being used for lethal injection.  

That lead states to start using drugs that were not as effective, which then lead to claims that the procedure amounted to cruel and unusual punishment.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I do not trust my government with the power to execute its citizens.

I am also unconvinced that the death penalty is an effective deterrent.
View Quote

It's a deterrent to some people, but not to many others.  Many criminals are criminals in the first place because they lack impulse control.  Threat of punishment means nothing if the criminal acts without thinking.

All you can ultimately do is remove broken people from society.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You beat me to it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You beat me to it.  

They could put it in the air as a powder I guess, to avoid the whole FDA thing.

Decontaminating the body and the whole area would be a major PITA though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression that what The_Fly posted was the case, but I freely admit that impression comes from reading novels and could be completely wrong. Is it not the case that the 'I can't breathe' feeling comes from CO2 buildup and not a lack of oxygen per se?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#36]
This is so stupid.

Why not give them a dose of propofol and push them underwater?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that what The_Fly posted was the case, but I freely admit that impression comes from reading novels and could be completely wrong. Is it not the case that the 'I can't breathe' feeling comes from CO2 buildup and not a lack of oxygen per se?
View Quote

A bit technical, but read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_of_ventilation
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is so stupid.

Why not give them a dose of propofol and push them underwater?
View Quote

Waste of perfectly good water  Seriously, a large dose of fentanyl is cheap (just get it from the police evidence locker), painless, and effective.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Inert Gas asphyxiation with Nitrogen or Helium (Soundproof the booth ) could work.

Main thing your body keeps track of when it comes to breathing isn't oxygen, but CO2. If you're in a room full of inert gas that displaces oxygen (Nitrogen, Helium, etc.) you'll simply become lightheaded and lose consciousness without the "OH MY GOD I'M SUFFOCATING" feeling.

Dunno why it's not a common form of execution, considering it'd be relatively humane and negates the need for expensive drugs that have lots of arguments over what the prisoner feels during the execution process.

EDIT: Biggest "concern" is how to make sure the prisoner is dead, as I imagine actual death by asphyxiation can take a while and you want to make sure the inmates heart has been stopped and breathing ceased for a decent length of time before you vent the room. If the inmate survives, there'll be widespread brain damage and the execution botched.

I guess 20-30 minutes should do it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

short rope, tall scaffold?

how about 6 x 30-30's to the heart at point-blank range, with one blank inserted in the firing line just for tradition?

hard to 'botch' that
View Quote

Never got the one blank for firing squads. Where they pressed into service? If they volunteered then it wouldn’t matter? The hangman, or ax/swordsman, or throwing the switch, didn’t seem to mind being the sole person doling out punishment. No need for conscience there.

Why have multiple people do it? Just rig up a number of guns on stands aimed at the condemned’s heart all actuated by a single device that fires all the guns at once on a timer. A literal machine gun. One executioner to set it up and run it.

Maybe it would be a “unusual” punishment but why not have one of those big stompers that killed Cyrus “the Virus” at the end of Conair? Just smoosh thier heads to a thin pancake with a 5000 lb rod at 30 miles and hour. Destroy the brain instantaneously.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Firing Squad should be it.  There are really no unknowns, and it was used widely in the past.  Many war criminals were shot during WWII this way without any problems.  Its quick and efficient.  A few chest shots with a rifle means you're going to be unconscious quickly from shock and blood loss.  

I don't know why so many people think lethal injection is the only option.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Hell, it's South Carolina, they could raffle off the opportunity to be on the firing squad and make some serious money. I'd pay quite a bit to be able to send Dylan Roof off to his great award.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don’t Leo’s confiscate enough fentanyl to kill a billion people every week ?  There you go.
View Quote

I have read news articles where they OD'ed from touching it by mistake.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have read news articles where they OD'ed from touching it by mistake.
View Quote

And media idiots in the news are lying to you.  You can't really absorb fentanyl through the skin.  You need to breath it in, inject it, or swallow it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Ohio has it right:
Ohio Replaces Lethal Injection With Humane New Head-Ripping-Off Machine
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top