Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2021 11:53:52 AM EDT
Currently snowing here (Yes, snowing in Southern California) and I guess the cold temps drained my Yellow Top....         Not too mad, it is a good 6 years old and has run the 96 ZJ and accessories without fail, till this morning.     Gave me the slow crank but still turned over!

Alternator showing 14.2-14.5v; guess time for a replacement battery!    Might Just grab a quick replacement from Costco on the way home for 90 bucks to get by and then plan out and build a duel battery setup I've always wanted in the rig anyways.  One for the Jeep, one for the accessories with an auto on/off isolator.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Gladiator and have heard that when the Start/Stop battery goes out, especially in the auto,that it's a bitch to get running again.

I've got the manual, so who knows about that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's a JK/JKU I can recommend the Genesis dual battery set-up.

Tier I.
View Quote

5.2 ZJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Cold didn't kill it, heat did.   Cold just shows the damage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
6 years on a battery isn't bad in my book.  Think the OEM battery in my truck lasted almost 5 years?

And I've had a few vehicles with crappy electrical systems.  To the point where first order of business is a battery tender hookup on even a brand new one.  Use it obsessively if I don't use something for a week.  With two four wheeled vehicles, one bike, the truck and bike can alternately sit for a surprising amount of time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
6 years on a battery isn't bad in my book.  Think the OEM battery in my truck lasted almost 5 years?

And I've had a few vehicles with crappy electrical systems.  To the point where first order of business is a battery tender hookup on even a brand new one.  Use it obsessively if I don't use something for a week.  With two four wheeled vehicles, one bike, the truck and bike can alternately sit for a surprising amount of time.
View Quote

I got 10 years on the OEM battery in my Tacoma and when it died, it died. No slow crank or any warning signs.

OP, consider yourself lucky you got that kind of life out of a modern Optima. I had such bad luck with them that I stopped using them.

Anything that doesn't get driven more then once a week gets put on a tender around here. My hanger queen truck has a at least decade old Die Hard Platinum that is still good to go. It is plugged in whenever I am not driving it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My Die Hard Platinum made it 9 years in south Texas. Would have gone longer if not for my dragging starter. My Odyssey in my cycle made it 8 years. Now that's what I expect from a quality battery.

Too bad you can't get Die Hard Platinums anymore, though I did put another Odyssey in my cycle. I will probably get an Odyssey for my Xterra when it goes, I didn't want to spend that much on my 20 year old truck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used all the different types of batteries, in my Cruisers over the last 30 years. Odysseys are great but spendy.

For the most part I went back to lead acid batteries from Costco for $87 for the Cruisers

On the new boat, the builder and i decided to not use AGM but locally(seattle) made lead acid batteries,  we have 9 of them they are $140 each and actually have a higher capacity then the AGM. One of the other reasons was...I get get a replacement almost anyplace, and we are heading to Alaska
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I got 10 years on the OEM battery in my Tacoma and when it died, it died. No slow crank or any warning signs.

OP, consider yourself lucky you got that kind of life out of a modern Optima. I had such bad luck with them that I stopped using them.

Anything that doesn't get driven more then once a week gets put on a tender around here. My hanger queen truck has a at least decade old Die Hard Platinum that is still good to go. It is plugged in whenever I am not driving it.
View Quote

Except for motorcycle batteries, every failed battery I've had has had something done by me. I may or may not have left the key for an entire day, then somehow was dumb enough to hook up jumper cables the wrong way, then a year later, I forget what I did, but after that second full drain it wasn't holding a charge.  Second one my wife left the dome light on till total drain.  I figure I could limp them along after that, but it's cheaper on my mental health to replace them.  Thinking on it, the OEM battery did last about 5 years, and at least one brutally dumb mistake on my part.

I've only used one Optima, these days I just go by what's heaviest at the nearest parts store.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
......Alternator showing 14.2-14.5v; guess time for a replacement battery!    Might Just grab a quick replacement from Costco on the way home for 90 bucks to get by and then plan out and build a duel battery setup I've always wanted in the rig anyways.  One for the Jeep, one for the accessories with an auto on/off isolator...............
View Quote

Might be cheaper to go this route.
Attachment Attached File

Link
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you sure COVID didn’t kill your Jeep battery?

(As a former Jeep owner, my best bet would be Jeep killed your Jeep battery.  Every one I’ve owned has eaten electrical system parts and gone through batteries much quicker than anything else I have ever owned.)
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#12]
OEM in my 2006 F-150 lasted 10 years.
The Interstate I replaced it with went a year.
As did the Interstate I replaced the last Interstate with.

Fuck Interstate batteries.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Corroded virus?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Corroded virus?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Corroded virus?

Quoted:
Are you sure COVID didn’t kill your Jeep battery?

(As a former Jeep owner, my best bet would be Jeep killed your Jeep battery.  Every one I’ve owned has eaten electrical system parts and gone through batteries much quicker than anything else I have ever owned.)

I have those grimlins as well, but I have a battery disconnect I use when not driving.  But I don't have a maintainer.

Quoted:
Corroded virus?

SARS-CORR-21!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Batteries are now made from recycled lead rather than virgin pure.

6 years life here in ND is a long time now.
5 is more common.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]
You have a jeep and already don’t have a dual battery setup for when you offroad?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You have a jeep and already don’t have a dual battery setup for when you offroad?
View Quote

Not yet.   Never had a absolute need for one. Even when I had my XJ, never needed a second.  BUT do want a setup... and this might just kick it to the top of the To Do list
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I assume three years on a Walmart purchased battery.  My S10 Blazer battery was made in March 2018.    When I see a sign of impending failure it will be replaced.....I am expecting it within months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#20]
OP just go get a Duracell AGM, cheaper and just as good as those POS Optimas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#21]
The OE battery in my truck was 5 years old in December so I just replaced it before the weather got really cold. There’s so much electronic shit on the truck I know with my luck it would be 4am when it failed. I thought the truck was starting to crank slower but It was probably just me being paranoid.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Supercaps are the future!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP just go get a Duracell AGM, cheaper and just as good as those POS Optimas.
View Quote
So theyre a POS as well?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#24]
The 7.5 year old Walmart battery in my TJ died last week.  When I went to pull it I discovered that the nut on the positive terminal is stripped so I'm kind of stuck as to what to do.  It's too damn cold to work on it now anyway.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't assume, look at the date on your battery.  Mine failed unexpectedly early and I found the date code was 3 years older than the truck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't assume, look at the date on your battery.  Mine failed unexpectedly early and I found the date code was 3 years older than the truck.
View Quote

Not only this ^^^^, but make sure you don't have some kinda draw when jeep is off. 6 years is too short. I'm running 10-15 year old yellow and red tops in Blazer and it sits for extended time
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Odyssey batteries FTW.   Optima are not what they used to be.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Odyssey batteries FTW.   Optima are not what they used to be.
View Quote

Is there anything as good as the old Optimas?  I had one back in the early '90s that I abused the hell out of and it always worked awesome.  It even fired my high compression motor after draining by running it in a car with a dead alternator until it wouldn't run then putting back in my other car and leaving it to sit overnight.  I even ran it it for about 40 miles once with the voltage regulator fried and the alternator putting out so much voltage that it caused my high beam filaments to go off like old school flashbulbs and pegged the voltmeter at over 25 volts!  I spend a lot of time out in the remote back country alone and I'm shopping for a replacement for my 6+ year old truck battery.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not yet.   Never had a absolute need for one. Even when I had my XJ, never needed a second.  BUT do want a setup... and this might just kick it to the top of the To Do list
View Quote

I'm running a " Hell roaring" dual setup. Works great
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#30]
For me, there's two options on batteries:

1. Walmart cheap one.  There's a walmart everywhere and you can warranty replace on at 2AM in the middle of nowhere.

2. Odyssey AGM  (amazon has them).  That won't leak or die suddenly on you. Since Optima has gone to shit that's about as good as you're getting.

Now that lithium jump starters are cheap and reliable, a cheap battery from walmart is probably the best plan for most.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fact check true.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:25:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I got 14 years out of the OEM Jeep battery in the TJ.
It saw temps below the level Mexifornians can survive, and for weeks at a stretch, and no issues running the winch, or firing up when it hurt to breathe.

The Chinese shit Battery's on the market now, are trash that can't take vibration or heat for long, and take a shit the first time things get chilly.
Yes...they are all Chinese shit now, and you get what you pay for.

Odyssey and the relabled Odyssey made battery's, are the last ones worth a shit.Die Hard Platinum,Vato zone Platinum, etc.
The old AC Delco is Dead.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Batteries are now made from recycled lead rather than virgin pure.

6 years life here in ND is a long time now.
5 is more common.
View Quote

Odyssey AGM's and Deere Battery's on the tender, are good for more if they are kept on a tender in winter.

Daily drivers off the tender with Odyssey AGM's don't do as well as the old lead/Acid standards.

It's bullshit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top