Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2019 8:58:59 AM EDT
The amazon recast is working good for my dvr needs. Took a while to get it talking to my TVs but fine now.
I bought this antenna that was recommended in another post.
Amazon Product
  • 150 mile range outdoor tv antenna.
  • DUAL TV OUTPUTS - Outdoor antenna support 2 TVs without a spliter.no special adapter needed.
  • 150 MILE RANGE|HDTV RECEPTION - HD antenna receive high definition digital signals within 150 mile.

Things are working fairly well but now that I know my plan will work, I’m wondering where I can improve my set up. I get 71 channels.
I get some messages of weak or no signal and some picture break ups and pixelation. Seemed worse yesterday with the wind.
Most of my stations broadcast from 30-33 miles and in the same direction. I mounted this antenna on the old mount for my satellite dish. So it is slightly elevated, about 2-3 feet.
Would a better antenna help me with my reception? I was hoping to not go with one of those old school 6 foot antennas from my youth. I have a channel master pre amp that I don’t use at my farm. I tried to wire it inline with this antenna but then I got no channels. This antenna is powered through the coax by a box that powers the antenna and allows it to turn by a remote. I guess two power devices wires through the coax would not work with each other.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#1]
TiVo is what we have, my wife seems to like it just fine. Haven't had any trouble out of it and we've had it for a while.

I don't watch TV and don't mess with it so I can't give you any first hand info.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Plex Media Server has that function but not in the free version. It requires a Plex Pass and a compatible tuner module. But then it's easily accessible on all your devices, anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
TiVo Bolt with a TiVo Mini on the 2nd TV.  It does require an Ethernet connection though.  There are a few others as well but the ones I've looked at require a PC to be a media server.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont know how good they are now but used to have good reviews.

Channel Master OTA DVR

https://www.channelmaster.com/OTA_DVR_s/336.htm
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are and Amazon fan, you can the Amazon recast is an OTA DVR. It is pretty expensive at retail price, but it goes on sale pretty often like any other Amazon device.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Both the channelmaster and Amazon recast might fit the bill. I am not trying to pick up an extra monthly fee that some of the others require.
Anyone use the Recast?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the recast for live tv.   It has the dvr functionality but we haven’t used it (yet).

It’s cheap, it works, it’s easy to use.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Channelmaster is the best out there, especially for the monthly fee.....zero$$.  Mine has been rock solid for 5+ years and picks up a free OTA channel guide (just like what you get with something like cable).  Honestly, it has been the best purchase for a cord cutter.  My location gets me 20+ HD OTA channels and the channelmaster can record 2 channels independently.  Did I mention the cost.... zero$$ fees :)  No hesitations at all and would do the same exact thing over again.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up the recast when it went on sale last month. It works well for our use.
Improved my antenna and I get 70 ota but most of them I would not watch.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, now an antenna question in the op.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The amazon recast is working good for my dvr needs. Took a while to get it talking to my TVs but fine now.
I bought this antenna that was recommended in another post.
www.amazon.com/dp/B07GSCCJ9YThings are working fairly well but now that I know my plan will work, I’m wondering where I can improve my set up. I get 71 channels.
I get some messages of weak or no signal and some picture break ups and pixelation. Seemed worse yesterday with the wind.
Most of my stations broadcast from 30-33 miles and in the same direction. I mounted this antenna on the old mount for my satellite dish. So it is slightly elevated, about 2-3 feet.
Would a better antenna help me with my reception? I was hoping to not go with one of those old school 6 foot antennas from my youth. I have a channel master pre amp that I don’t use at my farm. I tried to wire it inline with this antenna but then I got no channels. This antenna is powered through the coax by a box that powers the antenna and allows it to turn by a remote. I guess two power devices wires through the coax would not work with each other.
Thanks
View Quote
I've never heard that brand of antenna.  Also the antenna of your youth is the best.  Function over looks.

Since Radio Shack is gone, try one from Channelmaster.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I have this antenna I am not using up at my farm. I can bring it back to try.
Amazon Product
  • Reception Range: Up to 100 miles
  • Picks up UHF, VHF, FM and HD
  • Antenna Size: 152 x 95 x 22 Inches

I have only a short run from antenna to receiver. Do I need an amp or filter?
I have a CM medium gain preamp but it made my reception worse up in Oklahoma.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#14]
An amp can overload the tuner.  If that happened a few years ago, try it again with a newer TV.  Tuner technology has improved.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked up the recast when it went on sale last month. It works well for our use.
Improved my antenna and I get 70 ota but most of them I would not watch.
View Quote

I've seen the Recast go on sale a few times for $150 but I noticed that it only plays back in 720 even if the show was recorded in 1080.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top