Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 221
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like today is a sell the news day.  Lots of red.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like today is a sell the news day.  Lots of red.
View Quote

Even split (red/green), its Christmas in July!
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Aapl setting to close up 10.5%. Wow.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Aapl setting to close up 10.5%. Wow.
View Quote

That’s pop bottles returns!
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Large cap agressive growth, not selling what I buy now for 20 years. Remember I’m long term retail investor, not a trader.

I’ll have a talk with money mgmt firm about how much tech I have and how they will best invest it for me.

Otherwise the auto buy happens weekly as always. I just gotta figure out what to do with my new found cash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe the guy that morgaged his house will go all in and stop trying to time the market.

Oh wait, he said he doesn't time the market.
Realistically it's going to be hard for @spidey07 to lose on his bet.  He's borrowing @ ~3%.  He only needs to buy stocks yielding ~3.75% dividends to pay the top qualified dividends tax rate of 20% and have money left to pay the interest on the HELOC.  Any additional yield goes towards paying back the HELOC principal.

You don't have to look hard to find great companies yielding those kinds of numbers.

His maneuver only looks smart if you understand money.

How do banks make money?  Leverage.  These are golden times to make money.

Tech is blowing up. We lost 30% on indicies to quickly recover in a matter of weeks. Those scared to buy during the crash are kicking themselves. Those sitting on cash missed out on the opportunity of a life time and continue to lose money everyday waiting on the next crash they so firmly believe is coming.

Don’t mix emotions and money. It’s just business.

So where are you putting your money, we're arguably buying in at the top of a market that is shaky at best.  I'm not all cash but I did move to more cash, we're talking 5% to 10% so I'm looking for value or under valued....there may be some small cap opportunity but that is going to be a roller coaster in the near term

Large cap agressive growth, not selling what I buy now for 20 years. Remember I’m long term retail investor, not a trader.

I’ll have a talk with money mgmt firm about how much tech I have and how they will best invest it for me.

Otherwise the auto buy happens weekly as always. I just gotta figure out what to do with my new found cash.

Slightly different time horizons....for me, I would like 10-12, but I could do 15-17 years.  That said the bulk of what is in the market is in Tech, biotech/pharma, large cap and large cap growth.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Slightly different time horizons....for me, I would like 10-12, but I could do 15-17 years.  That said the bulk of what is in the market is in Tech, biotech/pharma, large cap and large cap growth.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe the guy that morgaged his house will go all in and stop trying to time the market.

Realistically it's going to be hard for @spidey07 to lose on his bet.  He's borrowing @ ~3%.  He only needs to buy stocks yielding ~3.75% dividends to pay the top qualified dividends tax rate of 20% and have money left to pay the interest on the HELOC.  Any additional yield goes towards paying back the HELOC principal.

You don't have to look hard to find great companies yielding those kinds of numbers.

Tech is blowing up. We lost 30% on indicies to quickly recover in a matter of weeks. Those scared to buy during the crash are kicking themselves. Those sitting on cash missed out on the opportunity of a life time and continue to lose money everyday waiting on the next crash they so firmly believe is coming.

So where are you putting your money, we're arguably buying in at the top of a market that is shaky at best.  I'm not all cash but I did move to more cash, we're talking 5% to 10% so I'm looking for value or under valued....there may be some small cap opportunity but that is going to be a roller coaster in the near term

Well I want to be clear. When I retire in 5 years I won’t sell everything to income low risk products. It’s a rolling rebalance selling stocks that I’ve held for 20-30 years into safe income stuff.   Oh aapl how I love thee.

So the long term growth stuff I’ve held long term rolls into income stuff year by year. That means what I buy this year won’t be sold for 20 years even though I’m retiring in 5. Even in retirement you need growth. The disagreement comes from the split of growth to stable income ratio/balance. That still depend on income goals and risk tolerance.

You don’t just move all growth to all income/cap preservation. The growth feeds the income products.  Over time risk goes down. But it’s not an all or nothing deal. It’s a constant rebalance.  This is what the target date funds do, but imho they’re too conservative.

Example I’m retiring at 55. The brokerage stuff will feed a rolling rebalance to income stuff, but 401k, 457, ira will stay 100% growth because I won’t be selling that for 10 years.  This is why tax planning/minimization and bracket filling needs professional advice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well I want to be clear. When I retire in 5 years I won’t sell everything to income low risk products. It’s a rolling rebalance selling stocks that I’ve held for 20-30 years into safe income stuff.   Oh aapl how I love thee.

So the long term growth stuff I’ve held long term rolls into income stuff year by year. That means what I buy this year won’t be sold for 20 years even though I’m retiring in 5. Even in retirement you need growth. The disagreement comes from the split of growth to stable income ratio/balance. That still depend on income goals and risk tolerance.

You don’t just move all growth to all income/cap preservation. The growth feeds the income products.  Over time risk goes down. But it’s not an all or nothing deal. It’s a constant rebalance.  This is what the target date funds do, but imho they’re too conservative.

Example I’m retiring at 55. The brokerage stuff will feed a rolling rebalance to income stuff, but 401k, 457, ira will stay 100% growth because I won’t be selling that for 10 years.  This is why tax planning/minimization and bracket filling needs professional advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where I screwed up most of my investments are in tax deferred, this should be a lesson to all the guys under 30.  Keep a mix of taxable and tax deferred.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's where I screwed up most of my investments are in tax deferred, this should be a lesson to all the guys under 30.  Keep a mix of taxable and tax deferred.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tax implications get real complicated real fast depending on your goals, age you want to stop working, income requirements, etc. no fucking way could I do it on my own. There is no one size fits all.

Fuck, I think I understand tax code pretty well but my money firm CPA has me doing stuff that doesn’t make sense, especially the bracket filling stuff and gain/loss carryover. But I pay them to minimize taxes and financial plan so I follow their direction and try to understand.

Taxes are money that goes poof. Gone. Every year.

For young guys at least do 401k up to company match, free money and lower taxable income...no brainer. Then the tax direction gets complicated and should be tailored to goals/income, etc.  it’s when you reach “I don’t know what to do with my money” that a fee based advisor should be involved. At least get a plan.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Aapl 441. Wow.  Nasdaq on pace for another record creeping up to 11k
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Sp500 at 3300. Almost fully recovered. Run bull!
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice day for AAPL, MSFT, ZM, NVDA, NVAX, LVGO, NIO, CHGG, DOCU, and ROKU.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

But the next crash is just around the corner, market is over priced, I’m going to wait to “get back in”

Dumbasses.  You missed the historic buy opportunity of a lifetime based on emotion. Never mix emotions and money.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But the next crash is just around the corner, market is over priced, I’m going to wait to “get back in”

Dumbasses.  You missed the historic buy opportunity of a lifetime based on emotion. Never mix emotions and money.
View Quote

I still think you will get another one soon.

I haven't seen the housing market be as crazy as it is since 2009.  Prices shot up. People fighting over new houses.  

So many bubbles.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I still think you will get another one soon.
View Quote

The best part about our markets is that you can make money on the way up, and on the way down.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think this is going to age well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The best part about our markets is that you can make money on the way up, and on the way down.
View Quote

Yes.  

I edited my post as to why I think it will not be good soon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes.  

View Quote

I’m not claiming to have any answers, I’m just along for the ride.

But I also don’t think I’ve seen you be right once this whole thread.

Millenials are the largest generation the world has ever seen, and they want houses. And all the boomers and beyond are living longer than ever. My personal opinion is we haven’t seen shit for housing prices yet. They may come down some when people get back to listing regularly and the inventory isn’t AS dried up as it is right now. But overall, supply isn’t going to catch up with demand anytime soon, if ever.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  

Bubbles everywhere. There is an entire generation of asset managers who only think stonks only go up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Millenials are the largest generation the world has ever seen, and they want houses. And all the boomers and beyond are living longer than ever. My personal opinion is we haven’t seen shit for housing prices yet. They may come down some when people get back to listing regularly and the inventory isn’t AS dried up as it is right now. But overall, supply isn’t going to catch up with demand anytime soon, if ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  

Millennials also have the largest amount of college debt on record. But no worries, money printer go brrrr.

I can weigh in on this. I am a millennial.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#21]
What do you guys make of this?
SPX / M2 (money supply)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Millennials also have the largest amount of college debt on record. But no worries, money printer go brrrr.

View Quote

What percentage of millenials own that debt?

Also a millenial. No student loan debt.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Dumbass, did you ever think some people are financial set, and they don't need to refi their house to invest in the Ponzi?
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enough that it is a problem. It grew from 50% for early millennials to over 60% for the young-ins.

Attachment Attached File

I got my BS and MS with no debt. Work paid for most of my certification.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hey Dumbass, did you ever think some people are financial set, and they don't need to refi their house to invest in the Ponzi?
View Quote

Shit, those people aren't serious investors. To them, stocks are just another diversification and it's not going to make or break em.

I bet they sit up and like to play during times like these tho.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. I always want more. I have my goals and I’ll use the free money. I could stop working today. But I want more.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I build and sell houses. I hope I'm wrong. But I've seen this before.  And I'm seeing a lot of supply hitting the market.

I'll admit I didn't think the FED would go completely money printer go, and crazy employment benefits.   But here we are.  And that looks like it's coming to an end.

We will see what happens.

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I build and sell houses. I hope I'm wrong. But I've seen this before.  And I'm seeing a lot of supply hitting the market.

I'll admit I didn't think the FED would go completely money printer go, and crazy employment benefits.   But here we are.  And that looks like it's coming to an end.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given your line of work what does supply/demand look like?  Seems like undersupply and over demand. Mortgage rates at historic lows driving that.

I member 2008-2012.  Developers couldn’t give homes away, but they were too deep into capital. They were stuck.

I bought fall 2011.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Enough that it is a problem. It grew from 50% for early millennials to over 60% for the young-ins.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/1062B2D8-6CEB-486F-B0DC-CDC4F0EF4D50_jpe-1531850.JPG

View Quote

Don’t know if it’s a coincidence or if you got that chart from this same article. But before that chart is referenced, a few paragraphs up there is this:

Attachment Attached File

If you take the 15m+8m(assuming under age 24 is a millennial, I don’t know where the line is drawn), even if assuming they missed a couple million in their data, that means hardly 1/4 of the 84+ million millennials have that debt.

So 3/4 of the largest generation isn’t hampered by student loan debt at all, and averaged out amongst the 1/4 that do, their debt is $33k. Big fucking whoop. Student loan debt crisis is a concern manufactured by those who had to end the party and go to work and don’t want to come to grips with that reality.

Nevermind the housing market isn’t composed of simply millennials, it is already crowded by all the generations before. Nevermind the vast majority of homes were built for/by the baby boomer generation or before. Not only will homes be in short supply, non-aged (even if just in appearance) homes ready to be moved into will be at a premium. So the age of those homes and the millennials thirst for nice and appealing things will nearly perpetually drive growth in HD.

Just look at what just happened. The world was supposed to have just ended and all everybody did was buy out TP and fix up their houses.

What are your degrees in? Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Given your line of work what does supply/demand look like?  Seems like undersupply and over demand. Mortgage rates at historic lows driving that.

I member 2008-2012.  Developers couldn’t give homes away, but they were too deep into capital. They were stuck.

I bought fall 2011.
View Quote

I don't think we are there yet. But I've seen prices sky rocket.  I had people fighting over the last house we put on the market.  And we had to stop building more because of Corona. There was demand waiting to hit the market while houses being built slowed down.

Now, I see an entire neighborhood popping up next to my neighborhood. Every where I look new houses are being built.  

Now the problem is the jobs market here isn't that big. I'm not sure how these people are going to pay for them.  And that's when the problem starts.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

What part of Somalia are you seeing an oversupply of new houses  in?

Serious question, though, if you don’t mind answering, where are you? I’m certain this is all regionally dependent to a degree. Nobody around here is building homes worth less that $400,000, and most millennials, even those without student loan debt, aren’t jumping right into that. The majority of the first millennials are just getting to their mid thirties where they’d even be looking at those second/third or forever homes.

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't think we are there yet. But I've seen prices sky rocket.  I had people fighting over the last house we put on the market.  And we had to stop building more because of Corona. There was demand waiting to hit the market while houses being built slowed down.

Now, I see an entire neighborhood popping up next to my neighborhood. Every where I look new houses are being built.  

Now the problem is the jobs market here isn't that big. I'm not sure how these people are going to pay for them.  And that's when the problem starts.
View Quote

Same issue here in my area of WV. Very few high paying jobs, and yet houses stay on the market just a few days before being sold. A nice quality house here would cost $225k, and that is newish and move-in ready. There are a ton of $100k houses that need $50k worth of work before they could be livable. Around 15 minutes away, where my sister lives, there are brand new subdivisions popping up all over the place and those houses are $300k. Keep in mind, most of the jobs here are in the medical field or service industry, very few blue collar factory jobs left here. Who is buying all of these houses, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Serious question, though, if you don’t mind answering, where are you? I’m certain this is all regionally dependent to a degree. Nobody around here is building homes worth less that $400,000, and most millennials, even those without student loan debt, aren’t jumping right into that. The majority of the first millennials are just getting to their mid thirties where they’d even be looking at those second/third or forever homes.

View Quote

Coast of MS. Dont move here it's awful.

Last house I sold was 1415 Sqft. 172k.  It's in a swamp and flood zone but built high enough to meet FEMA flood requirements.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Same issue here in my area of WV. Very few high paying jobs, and yet houses stay on the market just a few days before being sold. A nice quality house here would cost $225k, and that is newish and move-in ready. There are a ton of $100k houses that need $50k worth of work before they could be livable. Around 15 minutes away, where my sister lives, there are brand new subdivisions popping up all over the place and those houses are $300k. Keep in mind, most of the jobs here are in the medical field or service industry, very few blue collar factory jobs left here. Who is buying all of these houses, I have no idea.
View Quote

I'm hitting the low end new house market here with my houses. I would much rather build a bunch of these than have to deal with custom home builds.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought fall 2011.

I’ve been following the new home building news. I think there is even an index for that. Still seems strong, new housing starts.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I say do ALL tax deferred if you can. Especially the ROTH. If you put $6k a year in from 25-50 you have $150k in Basis you can withdrawal from 50-59.5 not one red cent owed in taxes.  $300k if you marry someone who does similar.

Tax deferred is a whole lot simpler when buy and sell within and don’t have to worry about implications of dividends and capital gains in the account.

if your employer allows mega back door roth (after tax 401k with in service conversions) you can sneak up to another $30k a year into your Roth IRA!!!!  So with that option available I’d never use an  taxable account.

Consider too your tax advantages retirement accounts are not counted against you come college (FAFSA) time.

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’ve been following the new home building news. I think there is even an index for that. Still seems strong, new housing starts.
View Quote

I'm going to keep building.  But I've had the bottom fall out before and this is what it was like before that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm going to keep building.  But I've had the bottom fall out before and this is what it was like before that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sun is shining so make hay. I’m just trying to take advantage of opportunity.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The sun is shining so make hay. I’m just trying to take advantage of opportunity.
View Quote

I'm going to build until I can't sell and then keep building rentals.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we both get risk.

No guts, no glory.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don’t know if it’s a coincidence or if you got that chart from this same article. But before that chart is referenced, a few paragraphs up there is this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252780/0065D2AC-1313-41AE-9446-9A9DB9543DA9_jpe-1531874.JPG

If you take the 15m+8m(assuming under age 24 is a millennial, I don’t know where the line is drawn), even if assuming they missed a couple million in their data, that means hardly 1/4 of the 84+ million millennials have that debt.

So 3/4 of the largest generation isn’t hampered by student loan debt at all, and averaged out amongst the 1/4 that do, their debt is $33k. Big fucking whoop. Student loan debt crisis is a concern manufactured by those who had to end the party and go to work and don’t want to come to grips with that reality.

Nevermind the housing market isn’t composed of simply millennials, it is already crowded by all the generations before. Nevermind the vast majority of homes were built for/by the baby boomer generation or before. Not only will homes be in short supply, non-aged (even if just in appearance) homes ready to be moved into will be at a premium. So the age of those homes and the millennials thirst for nice and appealing things will nearly perpetually drive growth in HD.

Just look at what just happened. The world was supposed to have just ended and all everybody did was buy out TP and fix up their houses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/1062B2D8-6CEB-486F-B0DC-CDC4F0EF4D50_jpe-1531850.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252780/0065D2AC-1313-41AE-9446-9A9DB9543DA9_jpe-1531874.JPG

It isn't just one manufactured by those who had to end the party.  The inflationary track from the BLS shows college costs are on an unsustainable path and taking a larger bite out of the economy.  Even those not taking loans may have parents that are hemorrhaging money for college that could be spent elsewhere.

I have degrees in mathematics and work in finance.  As for the world ending and everything seeming to look okay, there is an interesting lagging effect in how long it takes the iceberg to surface.  Look at 13 years ago today.  The Bear Stearns story was just unfolding.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Last house I sold was 1415 Sqft. 172k.  It's in a swamp and flood zone but built high enough to meet FEMA flood requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've lived on the West Coast.  I don't think $172K would even get you a lot these days.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've lived on the West Coast.  I don't think $172K would even get you a lot these days.  
View Quote

Nope.

That's probably why people are moving here.  

They will want to turn it into the glorious mecca they left though.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I build and flip a house or two a year as a hobby
Building a new raised ranch on a busy road
It's framed with windows, no siding and just started rough in electric, plumbing and heat
Sold at over $300,000 and the buyers want to add $20-$30,000 in upgraded cabinets, flooring and trim
Last one sold a year ago at $272,000 on a better road and lot, same town
Crazy

I'm actually considering  listing a couple of my 4 families. The prices are too stupid not to cash in on
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's framed with windows, no siding and just started rough in electric, plumbing and heat
Sold at over $300,000 and the buyers want to add $20-$30,000 in upgraded cabinets, flooring and trim
Crazy

I'm actually considering  listing a couple of my 4 families. The prices are too stupid not to cash in on
View Quote

Yes. I'm about to sell some rentals.

Had to wait for stupid government thing to end to get people out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Crazy

View Quote

Let me guess -- they wanted it more "open concept" so they wanted to knock out some walls.  The man catches butterflies for a living and the woman paints smiley faces on acorns to sell on Etsy, and they have a budget of $1.2-million.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Let me guess -- they wanted it more "open concept" so they wanted to knock out some walls.  The man catches butterflies for a living and the woman paints smiley faces on acorns to sell on Etsy, and they have a budget of $1.2-million.
View Quote

Just about. Moving from the city to the country and want cherry cabinets, crown molding, chair rail in the dining room and stone versus ceramic tile
in the master bath

Plus they got a credit for my basic stainless appliances so they can get their own gas stove and cabinet depth fridge
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

IDK, a good friend of mine is a VP for a construction/development company in my area.  At least here, the trend was all about vertical development with condos/apartments.  At least before corona, millennial's wanted fuck-all to do with a house.  Minimal upkeep and they could walk/bike/whatever to work and play. That may have changed now that they got a taste of being shut in their 1000 sqft box in the sky for 3 months.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It isn't just one manufactured by those who had to end the party.  The inflationary track from the BLS shows college costs are on an unsustainable path and taking a larger bite out of the economy.  Even those not taking loans may have parents that are hemorrhaging money for college that could be spent elsewhere.

I have degrees in mathematics and work in finance.  As for the world ending and everything seeming to look okay, there is an interesting lagging effect in how long it takes the iceberg to surface.  Look at 13 years ago today.  The Bear Stearns story was just unfolding.
View Quote

I think it was a decade or so ago you could get a 4 year degree from the local university for around 20 some thousand?  Basically a new compact car.

Not that big of a deal.  

Now that same school is closer to 45,000 over the span of a decade.

With bottomless student loans available and no underwriting, or bankruptcy protection a lot of kids are going to be setting themselves up for failure. Granted they need to read the terms but college is pushed so damn hard anynore that kidss feel like they have to or they're going to work at McDonald's for the rest of their life.

At some point something is going to have to give, and I doubt its going to be the colleges.
Page / 221
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top