Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 221
Posted: 2/28/2020 5:39:25 AM EDT
Friday is looking like another big drop. Futures are down more than 600 points from yesterday's close.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
RIP 401ks
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Exciting times
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Exciting times
View Quote
Indeed
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
RIP 401ks
View Quote
Not necessarily.

I checked mine today, having rebalanced it on 1/27.

It was up around 0.6% in that time. That was based on closing value on 2/26.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:54:54 AM EDT
[#5]
KAG.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]
DOW 52 week high: 29,568
Correction level (10% drop): 26,611
2/27/2020 closing: 25,766
Bear market (20% drop): 23,654

Drop from 52 week high: 3,802
Points above bear level: 2,112

We're closer now to a bear market than a bull. Interesting times indeed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Think back to the last market correction...don't you wish you would have bought?

IOW Buy!  Buy!  Buy!
View Quote
I try not to catch a falling knife.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:05:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
RIP 401ks
View Quote
It's not a problem unless you're real close to retirement.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think back to the last market correction...don't you wish you would have bought?

IOW Buy!  Buy!  Buy!
Yeah, I'd wait a little longer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
RIP 401ks
View Quote
Nope. Thanks for the bargins.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#13]
They'll fix you. They fix everything.

-Murphy/Robocop to Lewis.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
RIP 401ks
View Quote
I know that Prudential and Vanguard have tools to change your investment mix.

It take about 3 minutes on line s to move your money to a different asset like a bond fund or money market.

When the markets stop dropping, put it back into a mutual fund.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Friday will be brutal.

Monday will be good.

CHANGE MY MIND.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Mehhhh. My shits just gonna sit there for another 30 years so whatever.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One never knows where "the" bottom is, and in the grand of things, a couple of % one way or the other doesn't matter.

This is all programmed/technical trading based essentially on financial voodoo.

Hilariously, Covid-19 is far less fatal and far less fatal than MERS, SARS, et al...yet the market over reacts.

This will probably be over with in a couple of months at most.
View Quote
I hope you're right, but I'm doubtful that your post will age well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:23:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Friday will be brutal.

Monday will be good.

CHANGE MY MIND.
View Quote
Very true.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Talking Heads all kept saying it needed to happen and so it did.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RIP 401ks
Yeah we are all a little farther away now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not as close as I was a week ago.

Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Where's all the Monday(tm) mockers?

DGAF crew checking in. Moved it all to money market over a year ago. Stock market is gambling, plain and simple. If you can't stand to lose all your money you put in the market, that's a strategic problem that should have been addressed a long time ago.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

DGAF crew checking in. Moved it all to money market over a year ago. Stock market is gambling, plain and simple. If you can't stand to lose all your money you put in the market, that's a strategic problem that should have been addressed a long time ago.
View Quote
Discussing the market need not be judgmental - it is an economic indicator worth paying attention to, whether you have any money in it directly or not.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Sale
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not necessarily.

View Quote
Great job, unfortunately most people don’t even look at their 401ks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Do I hear 20k?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
RIP 401ks
That would be the real thing to look at .

You’re not losing “money” which can be made back, you’re losing time , which you can never regain .
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One never knows where "the" bottom is, and in the grand of things, a couple of % one way or the other doesn't matter.

Hilariously, Covid-19 is far less contagious and far less fatal than MERS, SARS, et al...yet the market over reacts.

View Quote
This. All day. And I am a pessimist.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hilariously, Covid-19 is far less contagious and far less fatal than MERS, SARS, et al...yet the market over reacts.

Dems have been looking for a way to get rid of trump since Jan 2020.

They are finally seeing progress with their hysteria concerning corona , they’ll hype this thing as long as the stocks keep going lower, it’s a self fulfilling prophecy for them .

Tanking the economy is their best shot at getting rid of trump , right now , corona and idiocy are giving them optimism
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#30]
At my age the money I have in the stock market I can leave there until I die. My heirs will get it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That would be the real thing to look at .

You’re not losing “money” which can be made back, you’re losing time , which you can never regain .
View Quote
You didn't "gain time" when the market gave you a 25% rate of return in 2019. You gained an expected data point for long term averaging. Buy and hold is no joke.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm not super tinfoily but I have little doubt there are those that want this to hurt as much as possible.

That said I've got a decent amount of cash ready and a shopping list. It does hurt a little right now but I'm gonna do my best to come out of it better off.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Discussing the market need not be judgmental - it is an economic indicator worth paying attention to, whether you have any money in it directly or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Indicators. That's part of the problem. In a free market, you don't have central planners constantly playing with their controls to change the metrics. The crash we are seeing is a diirect result of the Fed and congress manipulation of our economy, not the virus. That is just the catalyst. Did they not think buying bad mortgage backed securties from banks for full value (when they were worth pennies) was not going to have an effect? I'm surprised anyone thinks this economy isn't over inflated and a bubble ready to pop. Which it is.

Right after QE3 was announced, Jerome Powell predicting ths

I have concerns about more purchases. As others have pointed out, the dealer community is now assuming close to a $4 trillion balance sheet and purchases through the first quarter of 2014. I admit that is a much stronger reaction than I anticipated, and I am uncomfortable with it for a couple of reasons.

First, the question, why stop at $4 trillion? The market in most cases will cheer us for doing more. It will never be enough for the market. Our models will always tell us that we are helping the economy, and I will probably always feel that those benefits are overestimated. And we will be able to tell ourselves that market function is not impaired and that inflation expectations are under control. What is to stop us, other than much faster economic growth, which it is probably not in our power to produce?

[W]hen it is time for us to sell, or even to stop buying, the response could be quite strong; there is every reason to expect a strong response. So there are a couple of ways to look at it. It is about $1.2 trillion in sales; you take 60 months, you get about $20 billion a month. That is a very doable thing, it sounds like, in a market where the norm by the middle of next year is $80 billion a month. Another way to look at it, though, is that it’s not so much the sale, the duration; it’s also unloading our short volatility position.

My third concern—and others have touched on it as well—is the problems of exiting from a near $4 trillion balance sheet. We’ve got a set of principles from June 2011 and have done some work since then, but it just seems to me that we seem to be way too confident that exit can be managed smoothly. Markets can be much more dynamic than we appear to think.

When you turn and say to the market, “I’ve got $1.2 trillion of these things,” it’s not just $20 billion a month— it’s the sight of the whole thing coming. And I think there is a pretty good chance that you could have quite a dynamic response in the market.
Shorted the VIX all the way to a bubble. Now its bursting. Big shocker.

Its Monday(tm). They were right. Just took longer because of how dug in the central planners were.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Remember back when it hit a record 10,000?  That was only 20 or so years ago.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#35]
When the Dow gets to 15000, I'm buying back in. Not before.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm 30+ years from retirement.

I'll buy all the way down to 0.

By the time I need the money it will have either gone back up (and then some), or things are so fucked up it doesn't matter anyway.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#37]
If I had money I’d be buying.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily.

I checked mine, it’s down ~20k since Monday. I’m not checking it anymore for a while
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I checked mine, it’s down ~20k since Monday. I’m not checking it anymore for a while
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily.

You didn't get the memo to move to safe harbor back in January?
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm 30+ years from retirement.

I'll buy all the way down to 0.

By the time I need the money it will have either gone back up (and then some), or things are so fucked up it doesn't matter anyway.
View Quote
This where I’m at. I’m 22 years out and just leave everything on autopilot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Remember back when it hit a record 10,000?  That was only 20 or so years ago.
View Quote
I remember watching CNBC squak box in 1998/1999/2000 during summer break in high school when I wasn't working (back before Bartaromo got fat). Nasdaq went bonkers from ~98 to 2000 just like this market has since 2016. Feels exactly the same

Look at the 1000 point milestones in 1999.

I remember when everyone was talking about how dotcoms were going to run this world (and they evenutally did). But the media got everyone on board with "up and to the moon, never looking back!" They did the same thing with housing. Got everyone thinking it can only go in one direction. Then 2007 happened.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I talked to the regulatory manager for corporate & investment bank risk that handles investment accounts and no one is worried at their company. It's happened before and this is all an emotional response (which is why this happens) to the Coronavirus. We're looking at 2,800 people that have died WORLD WIDE while the flu kills up to  56,000 people A YEAR in the U.S. alone. Why doesn't the DOW drop during every flu season? Right now it's a buyers market while people make irrational decisions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I talked to the regulatory manager for corporate & investment bank risk that handles investment accounts and no one is worried at their company. It's happened before and this is all an emotional response (which is why this happens) to the Coronavirus. We're looking at 2,800 people that have died WORLD WIDE while the flu kills up to  56,000 people A YEAR in the U.S. alone. Why doesn't the DOW drop during every flu season? Right now it's a buyers market while people make irrational decisions.
View Quote
Comparing coronavirus a couple of months after its first infection cluster to an endemic disease is like comparing the ticket sales of any movie that was released last weekend against the total worldwide ticket sales of Avatar.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Meh. I’ll get a few payroll contributions in while it’s low, that will work out nicely.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#46]
I was told this was Obama's economy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#47]

This is the best buying opportunity in years.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Small wonder, just check out all the "Mah Virus" threads on the first page here then realize that wall street is just as skittish as GD if not more so and you have your answer.

This could easily turn out to be the first financial collapse brought on by social media. It's crazy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Comparing coronavirus a couple of months after its first infection cluster to an endemic disease is like comparing the ticket sales of any movie that was released last weekend against the total worldwide ticket sales of Avatar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah, so an expert on market timing as well as epidemiology...

We see an attempted flu scare almost every year, and some years actually are worse than others, by more than Covid's footprint so far.

China overreacted in classic authoritarian fashion, now libs are begging for us to do likewise so they can be paid billions to pin it all on Republicans.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#50]

There's always money to be made with capitalism
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 221
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top