Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2019 8:42:54 PM EDT
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

https://www.dji.com/mobile/mavic-mini

Looking to get into this hobby w/o breaking the bank. The drone looks pretty capable for $400.

I want to do some photography and videography but nothing professional. Just goofing around.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Plenty of reviews and YouTube videos, but not actually released until next Monday.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll check them out tomorrow. I haven't done a lot of research yet and I like to check Arf first.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd much rather have a Skydio 2.

Not directly comparable and costs twice as much, but the skydio has amazing obstacle avoidance.

The mini has no obstacle avoidance.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, I found the Skydio last night looking around. Looks cool but probably more than what I would use it for now.

I'm notorious for dumping $$ into a hobby or project then abandoning it altogether.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, I found the Skydio last night looking around. Looks cool but probably more than what I would use it for now.

I'm notorious for dumping $$ into a hobby or project then abandoning it altogether.
View Quote
Video drones are a lot of fun.  I shot this video with a Mavic Air.  A little bigger than the Mini with some obstacle avoidance capabilities.  It lies between the Mini and Skydio in price.

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
That's awesome.  Well done
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I fent... will update with review when I get it
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I fent... will update with review when I get it
View Quote
Nice! Post some pics/vids when it's in.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Will do, it's going to be a wait

I think it ships in 25 days
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Standing by..
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Standing by..
View Quote
You and me both
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Where did you order from, the DJI store?  I canceled my order from them, ordered from Best Buy, and picked it up in-store when it was released on Monday.  Got a chance to do a quick first flight the same day.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where did you order from, the DJI store?  I canceled my order from them, ordered from Best Buy, and picked it up in-store when it was released on Monday.  Got a chance to do a quick first flight the same day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did order from DJI.  I'll look into BB.  Thanks!

edit: canceled DJI order and ordered from Florida Drone Supply. It'll be here next week.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Got mine yesterday, lots of on and off rain here so didn’t get a chance to really stretch its legs.  Initial impression, flies nice, stable, easy to control, long battery life.  It’s a little hard to see once you get above 50 feet. Granted it was cloudy and it’s the same color as the rain clouds.  I’m considering some stick-on LED lights.  Overall 100% better than my GoPro Karma.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I already own the Mavic 2 Pro, have the Mini and Skydio 2 on order, but I'm rethinking the Mini.

My original thought was to get the Mini for indoor use and travel. The size is more convenient to keep with me than my full M2P. Plus if I crash the Mini, I'm out $400. Losing the MP2 is $1500.

The M2P has the range I need to cover property. The Mini and Skydio 2 do not.

For the cost of the Mini, I can add the beacon and controller, and even a spare battery for the Skydio 2.

So what does the Mini give me that won't be covered by the Skydio 2?  I know it's twice the price, but the obstacle avoidance will prevent crashes indoors.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I already own the Mavic 2 Pro, have the Mini and Skydio 2 on order, but I'm rethinking the Mini.

My original thought was to get the Mini for indoor use and travel. The size is more convenient to keep with me than my full M2P. Plus if I crash the Mini, I'm out $400. Losing the MP2 is $1500.

The M2P has the range I need to cover property. The Mini and Skydio 2 do not.

For the cost of the Mini, I can add the beacon and controller, and even a spare battery for the Skydio 2.

So what does the Mini give me that won't be covered by the Skydio 2?  I know it's twice the price, but the obstacle avoidance will prevent crashes indoors.
View Quote
Yea, I've been looking at the Skydio 2 as well. For me right now, the MM was a way for me to get into this without a huge initial investment. I have a tendency to go head first into things then drop it a month later.

If I determine that I need the additional features of a Skydio 2 then I'll jump at that point. I just don't see myself needing the features. I don't mountain bike any more, I don't do over landing... yet .

There is a case for the Skydio in a Home Defense role though... I can fire up the drone and use it to do some advance room clearing while the wife sets up a barricade
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got my MM up and running and it's a great little machine.

This is my first real drone so my experience is limited. I was pretty impressed though.

It's very easy to fly and control. The Cinematic mode dampens the inputs so it makes the MM very smooth and builds confidence for new pilots. Sport and Position modes are much more responsive but very controllable.

Once I got comfortable I took it for a pass around my roof to look at the gutters. I was very happy with it's performance here. I was able to get in close and see all the crap that I now need to clean out  It hovered very well and was very steady.

I didn't have a ton of time and it was windy but I got it up over 500' without any issues. At about 200' AGL I could barely hear it. If you didn't know it was there, you probably wouldn't notice it over 100'.

Now that I have a better idea for how it flys, I'll take it for a longer flight tomorrow.

My only problem is that it doesn't recognize the SD card so I'm recording everything to the phone. Not sure what that's about so I'll have to research.

Overall, I am very happy with it!
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#18]
This is just a screen cap of the video playing on my phone. I didn't take any stills that are any good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Click here this site has a list of SD cards that will work with your mini.  From what I’ve read they are finicky.  Got my mini and card directly from DJI.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks! I bought 2 sandisk cards meant for video and formatted them as exFAT32. Neither worked. Found a random old card for a Raspberry Pi that I formatted as FAT32. That seemed to work. I'll try to reformat the other cards tomorrow and see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Just picked up a MJX Bugs 4W since all the reviews said it was an easy to fly GPS drone with decent capabilities. Once I got it up in the air, the reviews were correct. Decent for an entry level drone but the more I look at the Mavic Mini, the more I am pushing myself to it. I don't like that it automatically locks you out of flying if you happen to be in a no fly zone but for the $399 base price, I don't think it can be beat. Decent flight time, good camera, easy as pie to fly.... and the range is good too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just picked up a MJX Bugs 4W since all the reviews said it was an easy to fly GPS drone with decent capabilities. Once I got it up in the air, the reviews were correct. Decent for an entry level drone but the more I look at the Mavic Mini, the more I am pushing myself to it. I don't like that it automatically locks you out of flying if you happen to be in a no fly zone but for the $399 base price, I don't think it can be beat. Decent flight time, good camera, easy as pie to fly.... and the range is good too.
View Quote
I don't have any experience with the drone you referenced.

FWIW I am still super happy with the MM. The camera is awesome.

My wife was out shopping the other day while I was flying around. She called and said she was about 10 mins from home. So, I went up to about 400' and looked out over the road that leads to our house. I tracked her car from about 600m out all the way to our driveway. Thought that was neat.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool thread, I am looking at the MM as well. I like the idea of checking the gutters. Does anybody else have any tricks like that we should know?
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Just edited the title to fix the spelling. Why didn't anyone tell me

checking the gutters for me was stupid easy. Very easy to get in close.

I haven't tried it yet but saw somewhere that if you install team viewer quick support on your phone that's linked to the controller and then on another device that you can mirror the controller screen.

Doing this, you could pilot the drone line-of-sight while someone else looks at the feed to make sure the pilot is capturing what's needed. This would help you get closer to the roof without constantly looking back and forth.

oooor just toss up a ladder
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#26]
my understanding as well is that as 249 grams it skates under the weight limit for a lot of the current drone regs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
my understanding as well is that as 249 grams it skates under the weight limit for a lot of the current drone regs.
View Quote
Really? You think that might be why they chose that weight?

No registration requirements in the US for recreational flight.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I love this little thing
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Really? You think that might be why they chose that weight?

No registration requirements in the US for recreational flight.
View Quote
The 250g weight and registration requirement came back thanks to Trump.

FAA lost the lawsuit on being able to fuck hobby fliers.

Trumo gave it back to them through some exec order or shit that got tacked onto a bill.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Check out the new proposed FAA regulations that will require us to have internet connected ID transponders on ALL remotely controlled aircraft.  The agenda has always been to kick us out of the 400' airspace, sell it to commercial entities and also load it up with surveillance drones of their own.  If this regulation comes to be, it will kill our hobby, period.

Enjoy the skies while you can friends.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Just picked one up today, I have not flown much in the last couple of years. I still have my Yuneec Q500+.  Holy crap this thing is small especially compared to the Q500.  A bit too windy today to fly so I just did the updates and flew around in the house some. Very cool...
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#32]
What would y’all rather have a mavic mini or a mavic pro 2 when it comes to just recreational flying and videoing. I’m trying to decide if the added cost to the pro is worth it with any upcoming government bullshit. It would be my first drone but I’m not new to the rc world.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I only have the mini but for just goofing around, I dont see any need to spend any more $ than you have to.  It takes great pic/vid.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I only have the mini but for just goofing around, I dont see any need to spend any more $ than you have to.  It takes great pic/vid.
View Quote
Thanks. I’m going to pick up a mini
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#35]
My son had a Ares drone which was a pain to keep stable. The board just went out and we have been looking at the Mavic Mini. There's a professional drone store a few miles from here and they highly recommend the MM for what we want it for. Plan on getting it this week, any tips or tricks I need to know?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My son had a Ares drone which was a pain to keep stable. The board just went out and we have been looking at the Mavic Mini. There's a professional drone store a few miles from here and they highly recommend the MM for what we want it for. Plan on getting it this week, any tips or tricks I need to know?
View Quote
Nope, just let go of the sticks and it will hover in place.  First drone ever for me and I had no problems flying it and not crashing.  Make sure you get the latest version of the DJI Fly app and update the firmware of the drone when you get it.  The latest update allows the unlocking of DJI’s Geo Zones.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I just got a mini

I wasn't going to, but I did. Brown Santa just dropped it off, currently charging a battery. I was able to update the firmware and take off in my living room for a second. Seems the ground sensor works well, it hovered pretty still for not having GPS.

ETA: wow that's ridiculously stable and easy to fly for what it is. Took it up to 120m on my first flight in a light rain and the wind didn't even faze it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#38]
DJI Care Refresh worth it? It's been 48 hours so I guess I have to do the video dance if I want to buy it, but I can see the value if you fly around water so long as you can recover it...

I took it out in some 20kt gusts today just to test it and it performed flawlessly. Even taking it up 50m or so it only warned me about the wind once and easily held its location and could fly in to the wind without issue, so that's confidence inspiring. Not necessary saying take it in to a giant wind storm, but some light gusts are easily dealt with.

A few shots (taken as stills from video cached on my phone, not full resolution), bonus if somebody identifies where this is:

Daughter in the window watching
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Congrats on the new drone, I have a Mavic Air. In reference to the DJI care, many people suggest NOT buying it and getting a policy with StateFarm. They have been very good to the drone community when they are lost etc. I plan on speaking to an agent about a policy for my MA.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd much rather have a Skydio 2.

Not directly comparable and costs twice as much, but the skydio has amazing obstacle avoidance.

The mini has no obstacle avoidance.
View Quote
The Skydio 2 looks pretty amazing for the $1K price tag.

I'm going to keep an eye on this for the next couple of years and see if I can find a used one after the Skydio 3 comes out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#41]
They're kinda different purposes though. Now that the Skydio 2 is trickling out there are a bunch on YouTube and it sounds like the flying dynamics with a controller is pretty weak... and while the following is getting good at obstacle avoidance, it's still very jerky for cinematic use. The best uses for it seem to be more for hobby shot pilotless action sports ie filming yourself doing something. It'd be cool to take the remote and have it follow you around a karting track for instance, some of the mountain biking videos are pretty cool. I actually still have a deposit on one... Not sure if I'm going to get it when my number comes up still. I'd like to launch it from my boat and have it follow around while salmon fishing or something, that'd be neat.

The Mini is more like an RC car, fun to take with you and just fly around. It's a sweet flying machine, nice and steady gimble, good flight time, decent video quality. I'm no YouTuber, and I'm not making money with it, so I'm not worried about shooting 4k videos of things, but for general flying without having a heart attack about flying near trees I really like it so far. I'm impressed with the video, reasonably impressed with radio so long as you're keeping line of sight. And while I take care of my things and I don't plan on damaging it, I'm also not going to cry myself to sleep if I lose a $400 drone by having fun with it.

I also still haven't bothered with any FAA registration (and with the mini I don't necessarily have to...), not sure I like the idea of registering every hobby with some federal office, FAA, FCC, ATF, lol

Where I was flying today I had a plane show up in the clouds right over me that was kind of interesting. It's unrestricted air space > 5 mi from the airport, but the park I was at is in the flight path... Flight Aware said it was 4500 ft, but it doesn't feel like they're that high. The drone was below the tree level anyway, but still, just seems weird.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought the Mini after a year with the Mavic Pro 2.  It was my third drone, and fly almost every week for work and fun.

The Mini does not do well with wind, and it's windy enough around here that it's a real issue.  No problems with the Pro 2. You gain a big level of use with the Pro 2. It comes at a cost. The Mini will be up for sale because of the wind issue. It's a good first drone, but not a good choice for outside windy conditions. The camera is very good, and the gimbal works great.

I cancelled my Skydio 2 order last week.  Actual use seem to have issue. It's a great but expensive selfie drone. Give it 6 months to iron out the software.

Powervision's new Egg-X showed real promise and adaptability. It did not meet our expectations during testing due to software issues.  It was just released in January so I think it also is having growing pains.

Next up for us is the Autel Evo 1.  It's not new, so the software has been debugged.  It's a good camera platform that runs 4k @60fps.  Support is also US based, and even have LUT's available for you video editors.

Also a big consideration for me is the lack of heavy handed No Fly Zone areas.  I completely agree that there's a responsibility of the pilot to know where you are and the flight restrictions. I had an issue recently filming inside a building and caught a GPS lock through the plastic skylights. System gave me 90 seconds to land and would not allow me to take off. Max altitude was set for 60 feet.

The Autel Evo does not have the overbearing system as part of the software package.

Coming soon is the Evo II that will shoot 8K, and there's three versions available including a version with 8k and FLIR.  Give that one 6 months to work the bugs out as well.

There's a bunch of good drones on the used market that still have plenty of life in them. Phantom's 3 & 4's can be had that are work horses.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah I've heard wind is an issue on beaches and such where the wind picks up, I haven't tested in those conditions...
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Video drones are a lot of fun.  I shot this video with a Mavic Air.  A little bigger than the Mini with some obstacle avoidance capabilities.  It lies between the Mini and Skydio in price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xBuv9g6LzU
View Quote
Drones are cool. But reporting from a war zone in Iraq, I've learned that editing and mixing ground shots is just as important. As with most films, it's about showing scale and Transitioning to detail.

Still, some amazing shots I've seen of drone footage flying through the mountains of Kurdistan... Passes, gorges and valleys. 360 drones are the next step.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I have been flying RC airplanes for 30 plus years and never had any draw to drones until the Mavic Mini came out. I really like it, easy to fly (after watching a few hours of YouTube vids) and I can live with the wind limitations. It packs up real nice for taking anywhere. A bigger one might have more features but they come with a price, the MM has everything I need or want. If you are getting one definitely go with the FlyMore package. For an extra $100 you get a nice case, two more batteries and several other extras.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Definitely and the three battery charger is slick. I can't imagine ever using up all three batteries in one session the battery life is perfect
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Hmm, if my house was only 400 ft tall I'd have a lake view property. Pretty at sunset.

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have been flying RC airplanes for 30 plus years and never had any draw to drones until the Mavic Mini came out. I really like it, easy to fly (after watching a few hours of YouTube vids) and I can live with the wind limitations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have been flying RC airplanes for 30 plus years and never had any draw to drones until the Mavic Mini came out. I really like it, easy to fly (after watching a few hours of YouTube vids) and I can live with the wind limitations.
@mirion
Those are all the reasons I avoid the DJI stuff.   It has some use if having a flying tripod is the goal but it just doesnt give the sense of true freedom that an unrestrained FPV rig provides.

Prototype of what will eventually be a host to a 360cam while making for an invisible drone hidden in the blind spot of a Insta 360 One R

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xBuv9g6LzU
@jaqufrost

You might enjoy this...

Going the next step with FPV drone

On day two the lighting was better due to cloud cover and I could actually spot the rounds against the sky to chsse them and attempt to catch them kid air.

Goddamn gopro wasnt recording for every flight so I only came back with 2 or 3 good clips from the 2nd day.   Then I crashed out down range near the target area.   Wound up using a spare FPV rig to go out on a rescue mission to grab the other drone and pick it up to bring it part way back.   Wound up with a telemetry issue from downed drone causing the rescue drone to then crash out.   But was a fun day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top