Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/9/2019 9:40:23 PM EDT
Curious, what are your experiences, observations and AARs regarding such ordnance?

25mm Bushmaster DU Rounds

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Somebody said “uranium”?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somebody said “uranium”?
View Quote
Yes. The "depleted" kind.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Somebody said "uranium"?
View Quote
No Russians here... Calm down Mrs. Clinton.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Uranium Fever: Elton Britt, 1955
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL, no.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Copkilla bullits right there.  Ban.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't eat it, or play in/around targets hit by it. You'll be fine.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep it dry and keep the tip cover on.  It will spark like mad if the tip bangs against shit.  If it gets wet, sea salt mist has to be the worst, it will grow some fuzzy yellow to green crap that causes the penatrator to swell enough that it will break the cap and the sabbot in the cartridge case.

Solid rounds are almost benign.   It's the oxide and fines after a fire that can be inhaled and get lodged in your lungs, leading to cancer down the road.....way down the road and it takes a significant amount to cause serious problems.  You'll shit and piss most of it out when you ingest it.  But with enough exposure your kidneys and colon will likely develop cancer.

I'd worry about breathing all the other shit released by the fire after the target is hit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I got to see the after effects on some tanks in 2003. IIRC (it's been awhile now) Little hole in one side, little hole in the other, everything fried inside.

Heat was a little different, little hole in one side, sometimes a hole on the other, but a lot of the times shit was just mangled.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Copkilla bullits right there.  Ban.
View Quote
JFC. I can already picture someone phoning this into the shop:

Me:"The *******, can I help you?"
Ghetto dude: "Uhhhhhhhhh..................Y'all got dem D'pleted Uranium fawty bulletz?"
Me:"Excuse me, come again?"
Ghetto Dude:"Uhhh....U know...dem D'pleted Uranium fawty bulletz. The one's dat be penetratin' tanks n' shit."
ME:Nooo...Sorry, we don't have... 'dem D'pleted Uranium .40s, that be penetrating tanks and shit."
Ghetto dude:" Uhhhhh...aight then."
*click*
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#11]
The cause of Gulf War Syndrome?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#12]
High dollar shit on the black market. Usually smuggled into Mexico after being stolen off US military ranges.

Or it used to be.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Never got to shoot that good stuff from the Bradley.  I understood that the gun fans in the turret were partially there to exhaust the dust/vapor from those rounds.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Only had them in country. Thankfully I was a scout so I didn't touch them that much.
Should I be filling out a form at the evil VA in case my kids are born with extra digits?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Nuclear hysteria is best hysteria.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Why is it always depleted?  Can't we afford to give our servicemen the best ammunition?  Can't they use full strength uranium in the guns?  This is America!

Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#18]
There's plenty of normal shit much more radioactive than natural uranium out of the ground.  Depleted uranium is less radioactive (slightly) than natural uranium.  If these things are 'dangerous', it's because heavy metal is generally toxic, not from the radioactivity.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's plenty of normal shit much more radioactive than natural uranium out of the ground.  Depleted uranium is less radioactive (slightly) than natural uranium.  If these things are 'dangerous', it's because heavy metal is generally toxic, not from the radioactivity.
View Quote
Which means the Euroweenie's less effective "green" tungsten carbide rounds are just as dangerously toxic while being less effective.

Good going, idiots.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Also the density of the metal is the sweetness. The radioactivity isn’t desirable, it’s a side effect. They will light up a Geiger counter but it’s barely over background radiation.

Wiki article. First 2-3 paragraphs is all you need to know.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not just less radioactive than natural uranium, it's also less radioactive than a bunch of other dense stuff - enough so that it's used as radiation shielding in some applications.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Somebody said “uranium”?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Keep it dry and keep the tip cover on.  It will spark like mad if the tip bangs against shit.  If it gets wet, sea salt mist has to be the worst, it will grow some fuzzy yellow to green crap that causes the penatrator to swell enough that it will break the cap and the sabbot in the cartridge case.

Solid rounds are almost benign.   It's the oxide and fines after a fire that can be inhaled and get lodged in your lungs, leading to cancer down the road.....way down the road and it takes a significant amount to cause serious problems.  You'll shit and piss most of it out when you ingest it.  But with enough exposure your kidneys and colon will likely develop cancer.

I'd worry about breathing all the other shit released by the fire after the target is hit.
View Quote
That's concerning.
As every belt in the pics I posted, has tops missing from the sabots on some of the rounds. I can't find it for the life of me, but I was reading some TM or FM in regards to the plastic tips falling off/falling off while feeding in the cannon, jamming the gun and not attempting to feed rounds missing the plastic cap into the 25mm Bushmaster cannon. As a ex-range master exposed to years of lead particulates(they've already done plenty damage), I can't even begin to imagine the health consequences of being in constant exposure to DU particulates.

I got into a discussion with an engineer/physics guru friend of mine and he stated that when you ingest DU particulates, they will be constantly emitting/bouncing alpha and beta radiation around inside of you, wreaking havoc on your DNA, for as long as the DU is in your system.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Where would one acquire one or 2 of there rounds?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Somebody said “uranium”?
View Quote
Lol!
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Which means the Euroweenie's less effective "green" tungsten carbide rounds are just as dangerously toxic while being less effective.

Good going, idiots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good going, idiots.
The radioactivity of DU is minimal and is a non issue health wise.

But yes, the chemical toxicity of U (and all heavy metals) is enormous, and tungsten is as bad as any other heavy metal in that regard. Very toxic and carcinogenic. They cause severe oxidative stress and disrupt many cellular functions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5606641/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22198552

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315525/
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Between the dust, burn pits, shit ponds, diesel fuel, local food, chow hall food, diseases, combat trauma, experimental medicine, electronic countermeasures, purified water, high frequency noise and trash everywhere I’m fairly sure the depleted uranium is like the last thing a soldier should worry about.

Being deployed is like living inside a microwave covered in dirt and shit while eating chemicals all day. Then some asshole comes to the trash dump and starts shooting at your microwave.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Between the dust, burn pits, shit ponds, diesel fuel, local food, chow hall food, diseases, combat trauma, experimental medicine, electronic countermeasures, purified water, high frequency noise and trash everywhere I’m fairly sure the depleted uranium is like the last thing a soldier should worry about.

Being deployed is like living inside a microwave covered in dirt and shit while eating chemicals all day. Then some asshole comes to the trash dump and starts shooting st your microwave.
View Quote
Fair.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's concerning.
As every belt in the pics I posted, has tops missing from the sabots on some of the rounds. I can't find it for the life of me, but I was reading some TM or FM in regards to the plastic tips falling off/falling off while feeding in the cannon, jamming the gun and not attempting to feed rounds missing the plastic cap into the 25mm Bushmaster cannon. As a ex-range master exposed to years of lead particulates(they've already done plenty damage), I can't even begin to imagine the health consequences of being in constant exposure to DU particulates.

I got into a discussion with an engineer/physics guru friend of mine and he stated that when you ingest DU particulates, they will be constantly emitting/bouncing alpha and beta radiation around inside of you, wreaking havoc on your DNA, for as long as the DU is in your system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's concerning.

Your friend is wrong. DU emits some alpha but the amount is small enough that it is negligible. The chemical toxicity is far worse than the damage from the alpha.

HEU is a different story, it puts out quite a bit of alpha, but still it has a half life of 700 million years so its not super energetic compared to something like Polonium 210 which is a real ball kicker at 138 day half life.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#30]
iirc, people exposed to DU dust left after the rounds had hit armor developed lots of issues years later.  I remember seeing pics of Desert Storm where destroyed vehicles had "NO RAD" spray painted on them if they were clear of DU
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a piece of uranium ore in my radioactive collection

It isnt that radioactive not-depleted
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
The issue is when DU is in a fire the particulate goes airborne.  It's an alpha emitter and causes damage from the alpha radiation when inside the lungs. Alpha is stopped by clothes and skin but when breathed in it directly affects the exposed tissue. The heavy metal particulate is another concern, which can cause blood poisoning.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

High dollar shit on the black market. Usually smuggled into Mexico after being stolen off US military ranges.

Or it used to be.
View Quote
Stolen? Sure.  Stolen from ranges?  I didn't think DU ammo was commonly fired on ranges.  Aren't there dedicated training rounds with steel or aluminum "penetrators" to reduce costs and keep the projectiles from sailing through berms n' stuff?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
When you start busting it at the atomic level it gets pretty pissed off tho.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The issue is when DU is in a fire the particulate goes airborne.  It's an alpha emitter and causes damage from the alpha radiation when inside the lungs. Alpha is stopped by clothes and skin but when breathed in it directly affects the exposed tissue. The heavy metal particulate is another concern, which can cause blood poisoning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DU really doesn't put out much alpha as I mentioned. The primary concern by far is the chemical toxicity which is rather severe.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. DU is U238 which is pretty stable. It takes a net input of energy to "bust" it. U235 and U233 are a different story.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Your friend is wrong. DU emits some alpha but the amount is small enough that it is negligible. The chemical toxicity is far worse than the damage from the alpha.

HEU is a different story, it puts out quite a bit of alpha, but still it has a half life of 700 million years so its not super energetic compared to something like Polonium 210 which is a real ball kicker at 138 day half life.
View Quote
Being a first responder to DU incidents is one of my responsibilities. The fact that the level of PPE I wear is dictated by the number of CPM we detect lends credence to the fact that burning DU does pose a radiation hazard to humans when inhaled.

DU emits negligible alpha, until it's been in a fire.  I would consider 200,000 to 2 million CPM substantial inside the human body.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m interested to know how you would fission -238.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Stolen? Sure.  Stolen from ranges?  I didn't think DU ammo was commonly fired on ranges.  Aren't there dedicated training rounds with steel or aluminum "penetrators" to reduce costs and keep the projectiles from sailing through berms n' stuff?
View Quote
Hell no it's not common.  Never on ranges.

ETA:  Training/practice rounds have "Infantry Blue" projectile.  Real war rounds are black, like the discarding sabot in the picture of OP.

ETA2:  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Ain’t my ranium.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This.
Also the density of the metal is the sweetness. The radioactivity isn’t desirable, it’s a side effect. They will light up a Geiger counter but it’s barely over background radiation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

And how the tip fractures to produce a new tip instead of blunting, and it has a pyrophoric reaction to high speed impacts with steel, resulting in flaming, razor sharp debris flying around the interior of the target like an angry orgy of death and fire.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
All training rounds have no DU. The EPA would never allow otherwise.  Even most 120mm sabots used in combat nowadays are tungsten. I just burned a half dozen of them yesterday, definitely wouldn't do that with DU.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got to see the after effects on some tanks in 2003. IIRC (it's been awhile now) Little hole in one side, little hole in the other, everything fried inside.

Heat was a little different, little hole in one side, sometimes a hole on the other, but a lot of the times shit was just mangled.
View Quote
Was talking to a guy the other day, tanker 1st Gulf War, he said the exact same thing. He said he was amazed that something that was basically a dart could do that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Was talking to a guy the other day, tanker 1st Gulf War, he said the exact same thing. He said he was amazed that something that was basically a dart could do that.
View Quote
The vacuum that round creates is insane.  Works just like that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And don't let a really fat penguin take it swing dancing and then sit on it for a while, segregation by atomic mass and squishing it into a smaller volume makes it very angry.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Being a first responder to DU incidents is one of my responsibilities. The fact that the level of PPE I wear is dictated by the number of CPM we detect lends credence to the fact that burning DU does pose a radiation hazard to humans when inhaled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be what they tell you in whatever organization you work for but factually that is incorrect. There is no radiation "hazard" from DU in spite of the fact that it puts out enough that you can measure it. It does make a nice boogeyman to keep people afraid of it, and it makes it very convenient to find, but health wise the tiny dose you are getting off of DU doesn't do shit.

The chemical toxicity on the other hand is very real, you absolutely should not breathe or ingest uranium dust under any circumstance. This goes for all heavy metals, not just U.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#47]
What’s up with your weird SSE pics OP? They look like they were taken seizing a cache or something
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That might be what they tell you in whatever organization you work for but factually that is incorrect. There is no radiation "hazard" from DU in spite of the fact that it puts out enough that you can measure it. It does make a nice boogeyman to keep people afraid of it, and it makes it very convenient to find, but health wise the tiny dose you are getting off of DU doesn't do shit.

The chemical toxicity on the other hand is very real, you absolutely should not breathe or ingest uranium dust under any circumstance. This goes for all heavy metals, not just U.
View Quote
So 200k to 2 million CPM is negligible inside the human body? You are speaking about DU in stable form. That all goes out the window once it's been involved in a fire.

That organization I work for is the US Army.  Our procedures and publications come from places called Sandia and Los Alamos. My first job with them was shooting DU, my second job with them now involves mitigating its hazards.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uranium is pyrophoric and very dense. It has a lot of stored chemical energy which gets released when it hits a hard surface in addition to its kinetic energy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nuclear hysteria is best hysteria.
View Quote
GD even has some "I failed 8th grade science" types that parrot internet derp they read about DU.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top