Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2021 1:27:57 PM EDT
Switched to a De razor about 10 years ago.  I tried shaving my head a few times back then and always had the same issue. The head of the razor would bounce and cut the shit out of my head.

I don’t have to shave my face any more but still shave my head 2-3 times a week. I was using Dollar Shave Club razors on my head but when they went full woke I threw it out.  I need to find a decent razor for my head.

Anyone have this issue and figure out how to fix it?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer to your question is practice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Give the leaf razor a shot. I don’t head shave, but it’s very popular among DE shavers who do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I shave my head 3-4x per week.  I tried the Leaf and it worked fine until one of the blades came out of alignment midshave and gashed the heck out of my head.  Not sure if it was user error or a freak accident, but it caused me to revert to a DE razor.

I don’t know that there is a secret code to it, other than practice.  Start to finish, I can get it done in about 10 minutes, which is about what it took me with cartridge razors before I switched to DE.  Everyone has to figure out what works for them, but for me the best method is to use a sharp blade (feather, Gillette platinum, personna red platinum, niacet, etc) on a very mild setting with an adjustable.  I expect the Henson razors would work well for head shaving, as they have a reputation for being very user friendly.  If their new titanium model was $150 instead of $250, I’d probably give it a shot.  Can’t do aluminum, as I travel frequently and my razors need to be able to handle somewhat rough treatment.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve been shaving my head for about 10 years now. I used to do the cartridge thing, even after I started DE for my face. Eventually I got to the point where I was confident enough to use DE for my head. It takes practice and patience. I use an old Gillette Super Speed so I can quickly twist it open and clean it out as the razor gets blocked up quickly with hair while shaving my head. At this point I only cut myself when I get too hasty. I shaved my head twice a week for a long time but I’ve gotten a bit lazy and am only doing once a week right now. Takes me about 30 minutes from start to finish to shave my head and face (including lathering, aftershave, and a quick clean up of the sink).
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a 3 head electric. Skull Shaver, I think? Using a razor always makes my skin super irritated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
With the exception of the fact that you can't see your entire head while shaving, it's really no different than shaving your face. You need to learn where the bumps/protrusions are, and the direction your hair grows at different points around your noggin. Where you need to lighten up, and where you can apply a but of extra pressure. You also need to learn how to shave straight without looking, and not at an angle. It's that angle, or lateral shift, that will slice you open.

I've been shaving my head since the 90's, and much of that was done with vintage Gillette safety razors like the Super Speed or the Lady Gillette. The Lady Gillette has a nice long handle, which can make shaving the back of rhe head and neck a bit easier. My favorite head razors are the Maggard V3A and and the Muhle R41, but I wouldn't recommend either one unless your shave skills are on point.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Just to add:  I was using a merkur progress at first, but stopped using it after I found a nice Gillette slim adjustable for really cheap.  The merkur was okay, but just doesn’t shave as well as the Gillette or my travel razor.  

For travel I use a Rex Ambassador set on 1.5-2.5 depending on the blade type.  My travels last 2-3 months at a time, and regularly take me to pretty austere environments.  Having a fairly bombproof stainless steel razor that can use blades purchased on the local economy make a lot of sense for me.  The adjustable nature of the razor means I can get a good shave with about anything.  A DE Razor, a good supply of blades, a synthetic brush, collapsible silicone bowl, and a puck of soap means I don’t have to mess with big cans of shaving cream, disposables, or cartridges.  Really streamlines my toiletry bag on these long trips.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top