Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2018 11:49:59 PM EDT
I don't even know how they thought this would be a good idea.
I will say that I created Black Lightning after convincing DC not to publish another "black" super-hero on which they had started work. The Black Bomber was a white bigot who, in times of stress, turned into a black super-hero. This was the result of chemical camouflage experiments he'd taken part in as a soldier in Vietnam. The object of these experiments was to allow our [white] troops to blend into the jungle.

In each of the two completed Black Bomber scripts, the white bigot risks his own life to save another person whom he can't see clearly (in one case, a baby in a stroller) and then reacts in racial slur disgust when he discovers that he risked his life to save a black person. He wasn't aware that he had two identities, but each identity had a girlfriend and the ladies were aware of the change. To add final insult, the Bomber's costume was little more than a glorified basketball uniform.

DC had wanted me to take over writing the book with the third issue. I convinced them to eat the two scripts and let me start over. To paraphrase my arguments...

"Do you REALLY want DC's first black super-hero to be a white bigot?"

Okay, he wasn't precisely their first black super-hero, but I made my point. The Black Bomber stories were deep-sixed and I went to work on my own creation.
View Quote

http://www.proudrobot.com/hembeck/blacklightning.html
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL.

Nerds are the worst SJWs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL.

View Quote
As a victim of bullying, I feel like I speak with extra authority when I say bring back bullying.  
Thank God I never got into comic books.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As a victim of bullying, I feel like I speak with extra authority when I say bring back bullying.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL.

Do you watch "wrasslin"?
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still waiting for Malikwa, aka White-Hatin' Coon.

Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:51:22 AM EDT
[#5]
A racial version of Ranma 1/2.

Ranma 1/2 wasn't political though.  The Panda was awesome.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
FUCK Lando!
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:00:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, just wow.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Are fucks supposed to be given?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#9]
in before the lock
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#10]
That’s know of hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Is this real?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is this real?
View Quote
Sorta?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Is it bad that I want this comic?

Am I a bad person?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#15]
What the actual fuck?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#16]
why is anyone surprised?

is there any limit to how weird that SJWs are?

none that I can see

they changed power girl from a blonde with huge jugs to a flat chested black girl

because patriarchy

BTW, the only reason I even know who power girl is, is because the cosplay girls with huge boobs wear that costume

I literally could not give less of a fuck, except that a cosplay girl with huge boob is a nice thing.

I read mad magazine when I was a kid, not superhero comics

Also, I haven't really enjoyed a Star Wars movie since 1980, and also DGAF

There's basically no nerd stuff that I like
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats horrible, what the fuck were they thinking
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I feel sorry for the kids today; reading comics used to be fun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I would read the shit out of that
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LOL.

View Quote
No self-respecting nerd would be found within 100 yards of some stupid as fuck comic book and the jackass low-intelligence types that read them, go to the movies, etc. Those people are just LGBTFQH and kiddie fuckers of the world. Not nerds, nerds do useful things for people who don't appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#21]
That's just retarded
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which goes back to why write a comic about a black superhero when the comic demographic is almost exclusively white men. When was the last time in the past 15 years you have seen a young black man reading a comic book?

Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Now I know why I never got into comic books.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Which goes back to why write a comic about a black superhero when the comic demographic is almost exclusively white men. When was the last time in the past 15 years you have seen a young black man reading a comic book?

http://i.imgur.com/hPi01DD.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/hPi01DD.png
At my local comic book store I only see older white guys in there. I do see some older black guys at the comic book convention around here. For the most part not many young man of any skin color are big in to comic books. Of all the times I have taken my kids to the comic book store I have never seen another kid in there. I do see a few at the convention. Comic books are in big trouble as their current customers get older and older.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#25]
The quoted text says "Black Bomber" but the picture of the comic panels says "Brown Bomber."  Did they get the panel art done, then realize that the reader would be surprised and confused that the "Brown Bomber" says "Black power!" rather than "Allahu Akhbar!," as is more typical of brown bombers?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Apparently that comic was edited- in the next to last panel with no word bubble, he's supposedly asking if it's ok to use the N-word when he's in Black form. Thus thus "No you can not" response. D,C didn't have the balls to publish it as originally written.

For clarification: the discussion of the Black Bomber transracial shapeshifter took place in the 70s.
The panel with the new art was a deep-cut inside joke from a recent issue of Justice League.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#27]
That is some seriously retarded shit!
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At my local comic book store I only see older white guys in there. I do see some older black guys at the comic book convention around here. For the most part not many young man of any skin color are big in to comic books. Of all the times I have taken my kids to the comic book store I have never seen another kid in there. I do see a few at the convention. Comic books are in big trouble as their current customers get older and older.
View Quote
you should attend a ham radio club meeting sometime.  I belong to three local clubs, and I am the only guy there who is not retirement age.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The quoted text says "Black Bomber" but the picture of the comic panels says "Brown Bomber."  Did they get the panel art done, then realize that the reader would be surprised and confused that the "Brown Bomber" says "Black power!" rather than "Allahu Akhbar!," as is more typical of brown bombers?
View Quote
Joe Lewis was called the Brown Bomber.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#30]
What in the actual fuck?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Apparently that comic was edited- in the next to last panel with no word bubble, he's supposedly asking if it's ok to use the N-word when he's in Black form. Thus thus "No you can not" response. D,C didn't have the balls to publish it as originally written.

For clarification: the discussion of the Black Bomber transracial shapeshifter took place in the 70s.
The panel with the new art was a deep-cut inside joke from a recent issue of Justice League.
View Quote
That's interesting, didn't know the art was from an actual recent comic.
Top Top