Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2020 2:29:57 PM EDT
Any easy way to do this?  Should I hire this guy? Or buy my own machete?

Attachment Attached File

The grass I need does not come in plugs from what I have seen, so I'm going to have to buy the pallets and then start cutting.  FWIW, the area I need to do would cost about $5K in sod alone, and at my age, I'd die on that hill trying to make it green.   Might just order it a pallet at a time and plug it slowly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Plugs only work well for some varieties of grass.
Maybe the type you have chosen does not fill in well from plugs.

It works well with Zoysia, not so well with Turf Type Dwarf Tall Fescue.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Going with the TamStar variety of St. Augustine.  I can find the Palmetto in plugs but not the TamStar.  

I just read that a sawzall actually makes a great sod cutter.  I've got the small M12 so I should be GTG.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
We used a hatchet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We used a hatchet.
View Quote

Sounds like a good excuse to buy that $75 hatchet I've been wanting and then not use it so I don't dull the blade.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Many moons ago I laid sod as a summer job. We used a hooked carpet knife to trim the pieces.

https://www.tools4flooring.com/dexter-x752-1-2-2-1-2-deep-hook-linoleum-knife.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI07L_zM3p6QIVE4bICh2FRA9wEAQYBCABEgKXHPD_BwE

ETA

In my experience it is easier to cut the sod on the dirt side.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I would give a lawn edger a try.
One of the weed eater style
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Chopping up a pallet of sod is going to take a boat load of time.  I would layout a bunch of pieces and cut it with edger, that will at least knock down the time spent whacking and hacking.  FYI sod is usually only good on a pallet for about 3 days tops if it is in full sun as the inner pieces will start to bake, it will last longer if you lay it out sooner than later.  The sod companies here use machetes when laying full pieces, larger bolo style ones, never seen anyone use a carpet knife lol.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea, the more I think about this, I might just sod the larger sloped area to prevent wash out and then use larger pieces to “plug” the flat areas.  Might have to call up family to show up and have a plugging party.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top