Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2023 2:04:19 AM EDT
So lets say you're living in California and the person you share a house with offs themself in said house. After the police and coroner and everyone is done dealing with the victim can you legally clean up the mess yourself or do you have to hire a company that specializes in that kind of thing? Actually asking for a friend. They can't afford it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:08:13 AM EDT
[#1]
You can do it yourself.

The guy that has "News For Reasonable People" on youtube lost his sone
to an OD recently and describes what all he went through cleaning it up.

I can't imagine cleaning up after my kid's OD or suicide.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot depends on the cleanup. I've mopped up some scenes for free before clearing a call, because they didn't need anything special in particular. But if you're talking large amounts of blood soaked into carpet and wood, for instance, cleaning and repairs might be really extensive. After a murder of a family friend, someone I know spent weeks redoing the flooring where they were killed...it wasn't a DIY project for that sort of work.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You just need to make a Dinner Reservation.

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
That sucks to hear.  If there’s blood involved I think it would be wise to have it professionally cleaned with the proper chemicals.  Blood can cause some very serious mold problems.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Sun Shine Cleaning?

I believe the rags and clean up materials would become a bio-hazard technically, big $$$$ to dispose of properly.

But Fuck CA, so throw out all of the contaminated carpeting, matteresses, furniture.

Liberally apply hydrogen peroxide and bleach for cleaning, air very well for several days of drying, with fans blowing on all areas wet down.  Re-paint, re-carpet, etc.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#7]
That would be a bad job.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 3:31:44 AM EDT
[#8]
One of the companies I help write contracts for deals with this .....

It's dealt with, in some states, almost like Asbestos removal/remediation .....

Hazmat certified.....PPE .....specialized disposal .....etc

It isn't cheap either

In my previous life, we dealt with FEMA travel trailers where 500 pound occupants had died/liquefied, people were murdered, or the units had been converted into meth labs.

We gave them to State/Local LE to use for "dynamic entry training", or to FD's to practice putting out fires....
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 3:48:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So lets say you're living in California and the person you share a house with offs themself in said house. After the police and coroner and everyone is done dealing with the victim can you legally clean up the mess yourself or do you have to hire a company that specializes in that kind of thing? Actually asking for a friend. They can't afford it.
View Quote

Yes, you can, but do they really need that memory of their loved one for the rest of their life?

If they're a good friend, pay for a pro cleaning for them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Spaulding Decon has a great channel on YT if you're into that sort of thing They're also a growing franchise.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd think homeowner's insurance would cover it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uhhh. Victim?
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#13]
My only experience was my wife's friend, her husband put a gun to his head in their car.
She had the car cleaned but it had an electrical problem, my wife volunteered me to fix.
I unfortunately found blood and brain under the seat console area. It was not properly cleaned and to this day the smell of cleaning chemicals they used brings me back to the discovery.
I would highly recommend professional cleaning services.
Hell cops said I could have the Pistol, only used once. I declined
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#14]
The gun shop / range I worked at 20 years ago had 3 suicides on the range in 2 years. They paid a company (Aftermath?) that specialized in cleaning them up for the 1st 2. I believe at the time the company charged $4000 to $5000 per incident.

When the 3rd happened, the owner of the shop asked us if we wanted to make some extra $ cleaning up after the suicide. I said no way, I don't need to see that. My buddy Don who retired from the Navy went out with a mop and some cleaning products and took care of business. The owner paid him $1500 in cash.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I doubt anyone is going to follow up to make sure it was done correctly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Is California still a mandatory disclosure state?

If so and you have to disclose the death the new residents might want an inspection.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Legally? You’d probably run into more issues when you try to sell the house with disclosure and inspection but that’s all civil. You can just do it yourself. That said it’s a hard job. Anything that touches blood and fluids/matter becomes a biohazard. Wood and carpet soaks stuff up like a sponge. The ceiling gets missed a lot. There’s usually a lot of mist that makes it there. You’ll also have bugs etc and the smell. Anything more than a wrist cut in the bathtub or more than a few days old will be a bad job.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah you can diy.  The pros just make sure they get everything, remove carpet, baseboards, all biological material so that no one will ever come across something later.

https://wdgpublichealth.ca/sites/default/files/file-attachments/basic-page/blood_body_fluid_cleaning_disinfection_fact_sheet_access.pdf
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#19]
You think all those hotels and motels are getting professional cleaning services?
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You just need to make a Dinner Reservation.

https://media.tenor.com/61KE0KLrdmcAAAAS/charlie-john-wick.gif
View Quote

This or call the Wolf
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife's friend blew his brains out a few years ago in their kitchen. We got a frantic phone call at 3am.

I cleaned up a circle of blood and brains the size of a kiddie pool so she didn't have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, I’d pay to have that done, or move and let the fire take care of it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I cleaned up a bit of blood after my neighbors 13 year old daughter hung herself a couple months ago. It was tile so no carpet or baseboards or anything.

About a month ago, a retired CHP officer blew his brains out on a Monday morning at the local boat ramp. We just hosed it off with the redline from the fire engine.

I think I’d pay some professionals to do that OP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Have you asked Hillary or maybe the Clinton foundation has a guide.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Legally? You'd probably run into more issues when you try to sell the house with disclosure and inspection but that's all civil. You can just do it yourself. That said it's a hard job. Anything that touches blood and fluids/matter becomes a biohazard. Wood and carpet soaks stuff up like a sponge. The ceiling gets missed a lot. There's usually a lot of mist that makes it there. You'll also have bugs etc and the smell. Anything more than a wrist cut in the bathtub or more than a few days old will be a bad job.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That sucks to hear.  If there's blood involved I think it would be wise to have it professionally cleaned with the proper chemicals.  Blood can cause some very serious mold problems.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd think homeowner's insurance would cover it.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.  So I googled and found this:

https://www.aftermath.com/content/does-insurance-cover-a-crime-scene/
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#29]
i've looked into doing this for a living.

i suspect in kali you'd need a pro to do it all on the up and up.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.  So I googled and found this:

https://www.aftermath.com/content/does-insurance-cover-a-crime-scene/
View Quote

"In addition to hourly rates, a variety factors can affect the price of our services, including:

The number of affected rooms
The amount of structural damage
The length of time the body was left unattended
Additional complications (e.g. hoarding, machinery, large amounts of personal property)"
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#31]
You can clean  it yourself. It’s not too bad. Free tip. Get Covid then lose smell. Makes it a little easier or so I am told.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Can't help but
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
i've looked into doing this for a living.

i suspect in kali you'd need a pro to do it all on the up and up.
View Quote

The big property remediation companies have gotten into it, maybe they sub some stuff out to the crime scene cleanup niche companies, but it seemed like a tough business to start from the ground up and get consistent work.  Not that there isn’t work, but when someone needs it done, it needs to be done fast so not easy to do it all unless you have a big enough org.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The big property remediation companies have gotten into it, maybe they sub some stuff out to the crime scene cleanup niche companies, but it seemed like a tough business to start from the ground up and get consistent work.  Not that there isn't work, but when someone needs it done, it needs to be done fast so not easy to do it all unless you have a big enough org.
View Quote
plenty of meth labs and homocides in montucky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top