Flex seal to the rescue
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shitty thing to say, but even if it was catastrophic and everyone died.....

Rrmember the thread earlier about "Things a lot of people care about that you don't", well outer space and its exploration is one of mine. To me it is only good for cool pictures. Only thing I would say is "condolences to your families."
View Quote

Don't worry, the Green New Deal will take care of it for you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#6]
GIVE THE PEOPLE AIR!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A few years ago, didn't someone accidentally punch a hole in the skin and do the equivalent of putting a poster over the hole and not tell any one?

ETA: found the article, from 2018https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/someone-drilled-hole-international-space-station-180970208/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A few years ago, didn't someone accidentally punch a hole in the skin and do the equivalent of putting a poster over the hole and not tell any one?

ETA: found the article, from 2018https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/someone-drilled-hole-international-space-station-180970208/

Instead, they suggest the craft was damaged during testing at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan after passing initial safety checks, and someone hastily covered up the mistake. The sealant they used to cover the hole could have then dried up and fallen off after the craft reached the ISS.

I thought they found shavings when they found the hole indicating it was done in space. Probably another story that us plebes will never hear the true version.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#9]
does this mean Ann Margret isn't coming?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn, Biden will make it better.
View Quote

By having our astronauts hitch rides to the ISS exclusively on Soyuz craft again...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rrmember the thread earlier about "Things a lot of people care about that you don't", well outer space and its exploration is one of mine. To me it is only good for cool pictures. Only thing I would say is "condolences to your families."
View Quote

(Removed, CoC-6, personal attack-guns762 )
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
anything in space is

a helicopter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Full temp cycle every 90 minutes.  That got to fatigue some
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Time for the handy man's secret weapon.

Duct tape!
View Quote

Pffft duck tape... this is 2021!

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Time to man the bilge pumps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All ships are in a constant state of sinking. Just have to fight it as much as possible. So really, not surprised. Same concept.

Time to man the bilge pumps

Pump more air out?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

yea. The leak is whatever. The crack causing the leak may be a greater cause for concern. I doubt there are many repair options in space to stop it from growing if it propagated.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Better fix that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Flex Tape over JB Weld.
View Quote

I would prefer this, works under water and you can smooth it out with water

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did somebody say ISS??

I thought I heard Somebody say ISS...

https://live.staticflickr.com/4277/35227282555_4d2fd43f5d_b.jpgISS by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

@FredMan
Okay how did you get the one of the ISS with the starry black background?  Fixed mount telescope?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Awesome pics. I had no idea it moved that fast across the sky.
View Quote
It's pretty cool to watch it pass overhead. You can get notifications for when it will pass over your location - sign up here: https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@FredMan
Okay how did you get the one of the ISS with the starry black background?  Fixed mount telescope?
View Quote

Handheld D500 with a 600mm lens.  Shoot on continuous high, take enough frames, and one or two will be fairly sharp.

It's lit by the sun.  It's orbital altitude (~220 miles) is high enough that it can be in sun while it's dark on the ground.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pump more air out?
View Quote
Duh. Everybody knows its Space that kills you. You don't pump air out, you pump the Space out.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Awesome pics. I had no idea it moved that fast across the sky.
View Quote

Well, it ISA orbiting at about 17,000 mph.  Completes an orbit every 90 minutes or so.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can just hear the guy in Deep Impact saying "American components, Russian components, all made in Japan Taiwan China India!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#27]
The place I work at is sending up tanks of breathing air due to the loss of pressure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This has happened before.
View Quote

Wasn’t there a movie about it?...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Elon is ready to send up more air, supplies and maybe even some brand new modules.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Flex seal to the rescue
View Quote

That's the first thing I thought!  Slap some flex seal tape on that sucker.  You're golden!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
News flash.  Pressure vessels leak.  And leakage rates (effective-area basis) typically increase as time goes on.  

Air and space vehicles have leakage specs, and leakage is one of the major sustainability issues for vehicles venturing beyond Earth orbit.

The Russians are acutely aware of leakage and the consequences.  And Americans, and anybody else, would be foolhardy to overlook the broader scope and take the myopic view of this being a Russian problem.
View Quote

Same thing with pressurized aircraft.  Eventually, they can get to the point that the pressurization system won't keep up with the leaks, and somebody gets to chase down the leaks and fix them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

yea. The leak is whatever. The crack causing the leak may be a greater cause for concern. I doubt there are many repair options in space to stop it from growing if it propagated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be amusing to see an attempt at bucking rivets in microgravity (with a vacuum thrown in for good measure), but I would hope that somebody along the way planned for some sort of scab patch that could be applied (with a sealant) to the inside surface with either some sort of structural fasteners, or structural adhesive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Joe will fix it! As soon as he is done fondling that 9 yr old...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I wonder what the fatigue life is for all that aluminum up there.   dunno.

I did look up and find that the hull thickness is about 4~5 mm.  gah.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Time for the handy man's secret weapon.

Duct tape!
View Quote

JB Weld!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can just hear the guy in Deep Impact saying "American components, Russian components, all made in Taiwan!"
View Quote

That was armageddon
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#38]
It's just like the scene in Space Cowboys where HAL tells Bruce WIllis, "Luke, we have a hole in the space station"
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
News flash.  Pressure vessels leak.  And leakage rates (effective-area basis) typically increase as time goes on.  

Air and space vehicles have leakage specs, and leakage is one of the major sustainability issues for vehicles venturing beyond Earth orbit.

The Russians are acutely aware of leakage and the consequences.  And Americans, and anybody else, would be foolhardy to overlook the broader scope and take the myopic view of this being a Russian problem.
View Quote

MRI pressure vessels don't leak.  They have to be PERFECT.

Seriously, there's an Extreme High Vacuum (XHV) vessel surrounding a vessel full of liquid and gas phase helium, the most leak finding substance known to man.  If there is ANY leak between the vessels, even atomic, the vacuum vessel WILL lose vacuum, the liquid helium WILL boil off, and the superconducting magnet WILL quench, creating a wonderfully expensive mess to clean up.

An atomic leak will spoil the vacuum to the point of quench within about 2 weeks.  MRI systems are meant to remain powered in superconducting persistent state indefinitely.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think that's pretty normal.  If they're not always leaking *some* air, they are at least occasionally.

Or it could be that it's been up there for 20 years, getting hammered on by space debris.

View Quote

Dont forget it gets hammered on by Ivans drills too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Seriously, there's an Extreme High Vacuum (XHV) vessel surrounding a vessel full of liquid and gas phase helium, the most leak finding substance known to man.  If there is ANY leak between the vessels, even atomic, the vacuum vessel WILL lose vacuum, the liquid helium WILL boil off, and the superconducting magnet WILL quench, creating a wonderfully expensive mess to clean up.

An atomic leak will spoil the vacuum to the point of quench within about 2 weeks.  MRI systems are meant to remain powered in superconducting persistent state indefinitely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your statement about the expensive mess to clean up, indicates that they do leak.  It's just a question of how often they leak.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol that's exactly why I didn't respond to that comment myself.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, nuclear fuel rods are also designed to hold several hundred psi of helium and then several thousand psi of molecular fission gases on top of that, and do so without leaking ... for years ... for decades ... for century[s].

But, that's not really germane to a discussion about air / space vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Same thing with pressurized aircraft.  Eventually, they can get to the point that the pressurization system won't keep up with the leaks, and somebody gets to chase down the leaks and fix them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even when leakage is within spec, when ECS pressurization decides to take nap, things get troublesome.  (with respect to air vehicles) (and probably worse for space vehicles; because space; and really, really, really far and fast from home)
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#46]
For some reason when I woke up a couple days ago I heard a voice say clear as day.

"The international space station is dying."

And it is. It's a kludge of now obsolete technologies. The ECLSS system on the Russian module is a lost technology. The Russians can't make another one even if they wanted to.

Either it will be replaced with something much better. Or we suffer the fate of Humanity in Steven Baxter's Manifold Space. Humanity gets dumber and dumberer until we all start devolving into cavemen.

But I don't think that's very likely. Much as the communists and defeatists on this site might want it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Even when leakage is within spec, when ECS pressurization decides to take nap, things get troublesome.  (with respect to air vehicles) (and probably worse for space vehicles; because space; and really, really, really far and fast from home)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At one of my past jobs, I was apparently designated as the guy who got stuck with dealing with bleed air problems.  On the positive side, it resulted in getting checked out to do ground runs on the turbines, along with some time sitting in the right seat on maintenance flights (trying to duplicate the problem).

For space vehicles: redundant systems, spares/repair capability, modular construction (capability to isolate a failed section) and 'lifeboats' seem to be the solution.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've had about a gutfull of you, Mr Science Man...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had about a gutfull of you, Mr Science Man...

Yeah! This is GD damn it! Why U bringin' facts and shit in here?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to the dude that was drilling holes in the hull?
View Quote

This guy?

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top