Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2024 11:08:22 AM EDT
UPDATE 4/23/2024 3:10 AM PDT!!!

Look for a fresh email from Yahoo Mail.

I just got off a full hour on the phone with Indian tech support.  A very helpful woman got my Thunderbird client working properly with the new server settings on one computer.  I managed to get my Samsung phone working by myself by deleting and re-adding my cox.net account with Yahoo's server settings. That was easy.  But we had to use a generated app password at one point to get Thunderbird working on one of my Windows machines

Getting Yahoo's IMAP and SMTP servers to accept a connection, authenticate, and send/receive emails was a significant PITA.  You have been warned.

It took so long and so many iterations I can't tell you a foolproof set of steps to get Thunderbird working with Yahoo's servers.  But I will say the tech support experience was positive.  The person answered the phone number given in Yahoo's notification mail quickly, and she knew what she was doing.  I did allow her to do a remote control session.

Here are a couple of links that may be helpful, but YMMV:

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/coxnet-email-transitioning-to-yahoo.html

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/access-and-log-in-to-yahoo-mail-after-transition.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Executive Summary:    If you are on Cox email, back your stuff up to local storage now, and don't trust Cox or Yahoo to not lose anything.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday morning I made an alarming discovery that none of my emails being sent from my desktop client, Thunderbird, were getting saved in my Sent virtual folder.  In fact, Sent was not only empty, it no longer existed on the server at all (or permissions were messed up and I couldn't see it.)

The MAPI path to my Sent folder was 'imap://[email protected]/Sent', and it had been that way for a very long time.  (I've been using cox.net email since 2007, or maybe longer than that.)  It shows as italicized in Thunderbird now.  FWIW SentMail is where I keep copies of email sent from my phone.

I got on a Chat session with Cox tech support, which was picked up by a person I'll call Indian #1 who was clueless.  Indian #1 told me to access my email through "the Yahoo app" and that everything would be fine.  I had no idea what the person meant by the Yahoo app, so the chat got escalated to Indian #2.

Indian #2 had no idea what was going on, and handed the chat off to Indian #3, who immediately told me that my email has NOT yet been transferred to Yahoo, and immediately went into a stereotypical "The problem must be on your end" song and dance.  He tried to snow me by asking for technical information about my client configuration, which I provided promptly.  Next he asked me to try a Thunderbird client on another machine, which I did immediately (via remote control to my other house) and observed the same symptoms - No access to Sent mail, no evidence that Sent even existed.

His next tack was to tell me that I needed to do a clean installation of Thunderbird on yet another machine, because both of my machines are using a shared "Thunderbird configuration file", which is nonsense.  I told him I didn't believe there was anything wrong on my side, and that the server configuration had to have changed.

Finally Indian #3 gave me the URL myemail.cox.net, which is just the Web client that Cox has had for many years, and I have used occasionally.  The Web client displayed no Sent folder, but under My Folders there was one called "_Sent" which contained all of my missing sent emails.  Here's what it looked like at that point (and there was no regular Sent folder at the time.)

As of this morning there is now a Sent folder visible through the Web client.  I have reconfigured my Thunderbird instances to copy sent emails to a new folder that I created for that purpose, and am in the process of taking all of my stuff off of whatever server it's running on now.

Cox has been beating its drum for months about transitioning to Yahoo email, saying that all email addresses, folders, messages, calendar items, etc. would be preserved, and that customers would only need to agree to the Yahoo ToS and Privacy Policy.

Don't trust them.  Back your stuff up to local storage.  Do it today if you can.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Cox sucks cocks
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cox sucks cocks
View Quote

I'm liking their gigabit download service.  Their field techs have always been competent and friendly, but their reliance on Indian tech support via chat does indeed suck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't know people still used their ISPs email.  TIL.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm liking their gigabit download service.  Their field techs have always been competent and friendly, but their reliance on Indian tech support via chat does indeed suck.
View Quote

Fiber was buried out in the street in November. They are offering 2gig up and down for $85 per month.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fiber was buried out in the street in November. They are offering 2gig up and down for $85 per month.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep getting solicitations from AT&T to switch to their fiber service, but it doesn't yet exist at either of my addresses.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#6]
How do I back up Cox email?

Have not moved email in over a decade.

What email client is good to use instead of web email?

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what the average user needs 2Gbps for.  I'm an IT dude and I only pay for 500Mbps.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagscribing this as I use cox also
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tagscribing this as I use cox also
View Quote

Thanks.  My experience may be different from others.  I don't really know jack about MAPI, only what I have experienced.  FWIW I was using Eudora when I first got a Cox email account, so the configuration of my account may not be in sync with present standards (as weak as they are).  I think my previous email was a freebie on catholic.org or something like that.

I just get annoyed when tech support people pull the "I'm smarter than you, and the problem must be on your side" schtick.  I'm not an email expert by any stretch, but neither were any of the three Indians on my chat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#10]
That's what you get when you configure your client as IMAP instead of POP.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I went throught the same thing OP. I've had that same cox email for 30 years and everything was tied to it. Like you I was accessing it through Thunderbird. I spend 6 hours on the phone with their Indian IT. I let them remote in and try to make it work and they finally acknowledge they had no idea. I dumped Cox and went with T Moble for internet and I was shocked I was getting the same speeds for less than half the cost.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I didn't know people still used their ISPs email.  TIL.
View Quote

Yea that's a recipe for disaster.
They're always changing hands.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't know yahoo mail was still around. Figured they would have been hacked into oblivion by now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went throught the same thing OP. I've had that same cox email for 30 years and everything was tied to it. Like you I was accessing it through Thunderbird. I spend 6 hours on the phone with their Indian IT. I let them remote in and try to make it work and they finally acknowledge they had no idea. I dumped Cox and went with T Moble for internet and I was shocked I was getting the same speeds for less than half the cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll quote my final exchange with Indian #3, who actually seemed to be reasonably competent but was still stuck on the "The problem must be on your end" model of tech support.  First his final comment:

If you will use email account on our Cox webmail then the sent emails will be visible in the sent folder on our server

Yeah, but I want to use an email client of MY CHOICE.  You know, like the Internet is supposed to work.  My parting shot:

Sure, but there is no Sent folder under my account on your server.  I can't tell what that Sent folder on your Web client really is physically.

I just moved all of the messages from "_Sent" on your server to a folder in my Inbox.  I think I have everything important that I might need.

Please don't take this personally, but it's clear to me that you don't have an explanation for this issue.  As a fellow IT person I think you should be aware of it, and either figure it out yourself or escalate it to someone who can.  I think it's very unlikely that you won't see it again on other customer accounts.

Thanks for your help and your polite conversation

For some reason I felt like being nice to him at that moment, probably because I had found my missing messages and a workaround to THEIR problem.

He's going to write the issue off as a PEBKAC error or just some stupid European-American who doesn't understand complex things like computers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't know what the average user needs 2Gbps for.  I'm an IT dude and I only pay for 500Mbps.
View Quote
Faster access to Pron of course.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#16]
UPDATE it's happening.  I received a notification from Yahoo Mail at 12:57 AM my time that my email has been converted.  I got my phone working in the new email environment, and with phone assistance got one of two Windows machines working in Thunderbird.  See OP for more information.

Bump.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone that can easily explain how to get Thunderbird on PC and Android phone to connect?

Followed Yahoo instructions to the letter and only frustration.

Used to work fine on Cox.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone that can easily explain how to get Thunderbird on PC and Android phone to connect?

Followed Yahoo instructions to the letter and only frustration.

Used to work fine on Cox.

Thanks
View Quote

That's a name I haven't heard in a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top