Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/16/2021 4:26:18 PM EDT
I have been wanting to get into cowboy boots for awhile. I love the versatility of them and how they look. I have actually never owned any but I'm about to pull the trigger soon. I have been watching a lot of videos lately and and have decided that I want handmade in the USA and leather soles. I don't want gel or similar kinds of inserts. I'm not sure for my first pair what kind to get. I would want them to be durable, able to withstand some rain, mud, snow etc. I would wear them casually, I prefer blackish but I don't like boring all black. I just need them to go with about anything. What would be a good brand to start with?
My budget would be about $300-$500 range. Not afraid to go over but that's a lot of coin for a first pair of boots. I just don't want to buy cheap and have them wreck my feet and hate them. I want them to be able to be re soled and have them for years and years. Thank you for any input.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been wanting to get into cowboy boots for awhile. I love the versatility of them and how they look. I have actually never owned any but I'm about to pull the trigger soon. I have been watching a lot of videos lately and and have decided that I want handmade in the USA and leather soles. I don't want gel or similar kinds of inserts. I'm not sure for my first pair what kind to get. I would want them to be durable, able to withstand some rain, mud, snow etc. I would wear them casually, I prefer blackish but I don't like boring all black. I just need them to go with about anything. What would be a good brand to start with?
My budget would be about $300-$500 range. Not afraid to go over but that's a lot of coin for a first pair of boots. I just don't want to buy cheap and have them wreck my feet and hate them. I want them to be able to be re soled and have them for years and years. Thank you for any input.

View Quote

I like Tecovas in that price range.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Very happy with my Double H brand boots.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Not necessarily what you're looking for, but I've had good luck with Justin square toe work boots. They're my year round boots. Very versatile, work with them all week, but can polish them up for the weekends.

If you just want to see if you like wearing a slip on cowboy boot, they're about $160. Probably more durable and comfortable than a leather sole boot. I think the leather soles are good if you're actually using stirrups

The real sheep humpers will be along shortly  I'm sure. They'll know more about authentic cowboy boots than me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI. Tecovas
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Why leather soles?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought my son a nice pair of Anderson Bean boots.  He loves them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Lucchese ropers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Tony Lamas have always been good for me. Ive got a pair now that have been resoled at least once and the pair prior to them had been resoled several times before the foot finally wore out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I primarily wear Tony Lama, comfy as they get for me. Right now I’m wearing the Bowie Oak leaves square toe.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I wear Ariat's with the work bottom.  The traditional bottom with the heel feel awkward to walk in to me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Anderson bean. Tony llamas. Go to the store and try them on. Ain’t hard ??
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lucchese ropers.
View Quote

very tempted to get a second pair.  eyeing the ones with the vibram wedge sole
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck finding what you want made in the USA. A few hundred dollars more and you could get Lucchese, made in Texas.
CELEBRATING CRAFTSMANSHIP AND THE ADVENTUROUS SPIRIT SINCE 1883
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Hard to beat Tony's or Nocona.  Lot's to choose from.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Unless you're actually in the saddle a lot, buy ones with roper heels (shortest ones).  Riding heels are less comfortable to walk in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't want to mess with foam or gel inserts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I like Tecovas in that price range.
View Quote

Tecovas are handmade in León, Mexico
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Lucchese
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here' a pic of the last pair I got - Nocona Ostrich. Prolly not what you're looking for, but God bless them, these were made in Texas.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88366/20190607_201342_1368_-972243.jpgThose are nice.
View Quote
Those are nice...not for my first pair though...

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Olathe
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wear Ariat's with the work bottom.  The traditional bottom with the heel feel awkward to walk in to me.
View Quote

They aren't made in the USA are there?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#26]
My Nokonas have been outstanding, nearly fifteen years on them.
Been looking at getting another pair and browsing Justins, TLs and a couple others.  I want the classic style, US made but a work style sole that doesn’t slip around like the leather ones do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#27]
If I wear a size 11 athletic shoe what size boot? I prefer the traditional toe vs the square.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#28]
There you go
http://www.wheelerboots.com

Or just get some Larry’s.

Me, I don’t dance or ride much. I wear Chippewas with Vibram soles.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#29]
+1 on Lucchese and my Tecovas also have been fine.  If you can, I recommend going to an actual Western boot shop and trying several on vs buying your first pair online.  You’ll find a lot of variation in the fit, brand to brand and even within a brand.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Some Justin Boots are Made in the USA, some aren't. But they also support rodeo with the Justin cowboy crisis fund for injured Rodeo Cowboys and a Justin medical team that is at all the big rodeos.

https://www.justinboots.com/en-US/Products/made-in-usa?gender=4&productline=60&maincategory=64
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#31]
My go to brand has been Tony Lama for all of my adult years. I've been wearing the pair on the left for 35 years. The pair on the right are 3 years old.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Becks boots handmade in Amarillo, TX. They have a box they send you with foam in it to get your foot size and shape or you can drive up and get measured. I have had a pair for 20 years now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Leather soles suck beyond words. 200 years ago when that's all they had? Fine. Now? They're dumb, especially if you're going to walk on anything wet, ever.

I wear these on duty sometimes, Justin 3040. Made in the USA. Low profile Vibram sole that can be resoled easily. The shine is easy to dull down if you aren't a shiny boot person.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#35]
My go to are Red Wing 1178s.  Have worn then for the past 20ish years.   They are more of a hybrid Cowboy Roper / Work Boot.

https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/soft-toe/NailSeat-01178.html

They are made in the US, extremely tough, can be resoled if you want,  very comfortable IMHO and squarely meet your price point.

They are not fancy by any stretch and don't have a traditional leather sole.  However the soles look similar to leather especially once they get some wear, but in trade provide better traction and wear than a leather sole especially if you are going to wear them in inclement weather.

The sole material also provides for a bit more cushion and walking comfort vs. a traditional cowboy boot.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a pair of Tony Lama full quill ostrich.
comfortable and people comment on them often.
I took my time and tried on several brands and sizes
before I purchased.
Ended up finding exactly what I was looking for
at Woods boots online.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Second on double H
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Becks boots handmade in Amarillo, TX. They have a box they send you with foam in it to get your foot size and shape or you can drive up and get measured. I have had a pair for 20 years now.
View Quote

What do they run for price? I’m in the same boat as OP but with half or less the funds.

Nvm
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Google Heritage Boot Company Austin Texas, men’s basic boots. All leather top to bottom. Hand made. I have 5 pairs of their boots and they are incredible. They can fit you over the phone.

They are a bespoke boot company, so they have basic boots, exotic boots, and the bespoke boots are short runs of boots that will not be made again. They like to copy famous designs from the past.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s not a ‘get into thing’.

Decide on your skin, heal and toe. Then go try on a few different brands to see what feels the best.

But if you want a great first boot.

LUCCHESE Carson

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Square toes are gay.  Other than that, anything goes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lucchese ropers.
View Quote

This. Esp if you’re tall, or fly.

Made by an old company the old way, in America. Can be worn with suits.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Luchese’s are good, but were bought out by Justin a while back and the quality has dropped. Double H’s are great and durable, made in USA, but I’ve not found a pair that doesn’t pinch my feet. That might be me buying the wrong width though.

I recently picked up a pair of Blackjack boots. Handmade in Texas, leather sole (which I prefer), and very comfortable. Most comfortable boots I’ve ever had, actually. I just bought a goat skin roper, not the exotic or anything. $350ish I think. They were started by the former head of Luchese’s handmade division who got fed up with Justin’s drop in quality control.

http://www.blackjackboots.net/
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This. Esp if you're tall, or fly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lucchese ropers.

This. Esp if you're tall, or fly.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Tecovas if you are particularly susceptible to Facebook marketing

Anderson Bean
Luchesse
Fenoglio if you want something from a family shop that won’t break the bank
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I have owned 2 pair of Justin's.
They served me well for 35 years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Im simple, pair of ariat square toes and im good. I wear them to work, night out, church, hunting etc.
$200
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been wearing boots for 50 years, and would recommend that if you are only going to have 1 pair that you get a dressier rubber soled boot or a hybrid leather/rubber sole.  

Look at the Caiman boots in the 3rd pic, exotic leather but comfortable and durable hybrid sole, I'd go that direction.

For $300-$500 i'd look at Luchesse, Justin, Ariat, Double H, Nacona, Dan Post, the proper fit is waaaaay more important than the brand.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top