Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2023 6:18:27 AM EDT
Does anyone know how their departments handle situations where officers are required to make court appearances after they retire?

I've been retired for 15 months, but still had a case with 4 felony charges hanging around. It finally went to the preliminary hearing stage last month, and I was subpoenaed. It was Bound Over to the Grand Jury, so that means I have at least 1, more than likely 2 more trips to Court.  Since I was the one to swear out the warrants, I HAVE to be there for the case to proceed, and neither the victims nor the defendant seem to want to make a plea deal.

So, I sent an email requesting that I be reimbursed for my time and milage to my old department. How does your department handle this situation?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#1]
We get paid at a rate equal to whatever you were making at the time of retirement. If there is travel involved, the District Attorney pays for that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Ours won't pay after retirement.  
We haven't had to subpoena anyone after retirement for anything serious.  Little crap stuff just gets dismissed.

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#3]
About a year after I retired I got a notice for court.  I approached staff at my department and they said, nope.  The department will not pay retired officers for court after they separate.

I went to court, testified, got it done, did not get paid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]
My department will reassign the case and have *everything* redone in order to avoid having to have retired officers return.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't get paid, but got my flights, rental car and lodging paid for.

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a federal subpoena 3 months after I retired.  I’ve never been to anything on the federal level for over 30 years.  Made one trip to be interviewed by the US district attorney for half a day, grand jury for half a day, and a 2 day jury trial.  Got paid whatever you get at the Fed level for a witness.  I think that was what it was.  That’s been almost 14 years ago.  I wouldn’t even approach my agency to get paid.  Sorry 1245xx, you’re not on our payroll.  Talk to the feds.  Good-bye.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My department doesn’t pay a dime.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#8]
We get the same pay as an ordinary citizen. Court witness fee of $25 and mileage regardless of how long you are there.

It is still a judicial subpoena ordering you to appear.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We get the same pay as an ordinary citizen. Court witness fee of $25 and mileage regardless of how long you are there.

It is still a judicial subpoena ordering you to appear.
View Quote

I think it’s currently that for court appearances here, at the state level.  When I first started, it was either 8 or 12 dollars.  One court, three courts, didn’t matter.  Like you said, doesn’t matter how long you were there.  But, we did get comp time for anything over an hour.  But that was from the department and wasn’t required by the state.  And it was hour for hour comp time.  No 4 hour minimum stuff.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:10:40 AM EDT
[#10]
During the several months I was away from my agency I had to go to court several times and never received a dime from my prior agency or the SAO.

As an agency employee I get 2 hours minimum if court happens during hours when I'm off-duty.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#11]
You don't get paid.
There is no mechanism in place for paying retirees for post-retirement court time
One reason why guys productivity drops as they get close to pulling the plug
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top