Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/21/2021 12:19:53 PM EDT
Your move Florida!

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/couple-buys-riverside-dream-home-but-seller-refuses-to-move-out-in-eviction-moratorium-loophole

RIVERSIDE, Calif. - When Tracie and Myles Albert purchased a beautiful four bedroom house in Riverside, California they never realized that at the end of escrow the seller would suddenly refuse to give up the keys and leave.  

"It’s just draining, emotionally and financially," says Tracie.  On January 31, 2020, the couple purchased the home. More than a year later, they still haven’t been able get inside their property. Chris Taylor is the Real Estate Agent who sold the house to the Alberts from a man who wanted to sell immediately.

"He needed $560,000 from the sale of his house in two weeks and he called me on a Sunday, so in traditional real estate there's no way of doing that unless the buyer’s a cash buyer," says Taylor.

Since the house was free and clear and worth more than $560,000 the Alberts felt it was a great deal.

"It took us scrambling to get everything we had, our life savings put together and a hard money loan on top of it to make that happen," Myles stated.

During escrow they discovered there was a $30,000 tax lien on the house which slowed things down, but in the end, all parties signed on the dotted line and the sale was completed.

"We own the house, outright. That's our house and it's all in a contract, written, legal, done. He's been paid the money in his account. How could we have no rights to go into our home," asked Myles.

FOX 11 News tried to speak with the seller but when reporter Gina Silva knocked and announced herself, no one came to the door.

Taylor says, "It’s genuinely unfathomable to me that we live in a state where something like this is even possible. They closed escrow on this home January 31, 2020."  The Alberts and Taylor have contacted authorities and tried to get the seller evicted but because of the pandemic, they’ve gotten nowhere.

"They have this case under a COVID tenant situation, of no evictions when it doesn't fall under that at all. This transaction went through in January 2020 before any of that, it isn't a renter who was getting thrown out. It's the guy who collected all of this money," stated Myles.

Eviction Attorney Dennis Block says, "This year alone, we’ve handled at least 7 maybe 8 cases of this exact type of situation."

He says people purchasing homes need to be extremely cautious, especially if they notice any red flags during the process. Block says what’s happening to the Alberts could happen to anyone.

"This person is not a tenant, it’s a previous owner who is enjoying the benefits of the money that was transferred to his account but of course doesn’t want to move out of the premises that he no longer owns," Block stated.

The Alberts filed an unlawful detainer but because of the California eviction moratorium, the case has been stalled. Time is simply passing by and the immaculate house they fell in love with is now becoming an eyesore.

Tracie says, "I tried watering the lawn one time and he came out and ripped my sprinkler lines, ripped all the wires. The Palm trees are dying, everything was beautiful and everything is dying."

Her frustrated husband says when he contacted law enforcement, they told him, "If you were in Arizona, if you were in Nevada, this wouldn't be a problem, you would just go take your house back. But in California, like our hands are tied, even though we're on your side, there's nothing we can do."

Update 20200404 Squatter is OUT!

https://www.foxla.com/news/riverside-family-finally-moves-into-new-home-after-standoff-with-squatter-that-lasted-nearly-a-year
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What a scum bag
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like something $5,000 cash and a trip to Home Depot parking lot would fix.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
That's bullshit, of course...seller's a thief.

But, Riverside...lol...no such thing as a 'dream home' in Riverside...
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It's their house, the person "residing" there is not a tenant, what's the fucking problem?

Bust the door down, move the fuck in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#5]
“elections have consequences, you lost, get over it”...Barack Obama!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like something $5,000 cash and a trip to Home Depot parking lot would fix.
View Quote

lol
I’m right there with ya.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was going to post the same thing. Riverside, CA
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot the burglar
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
They could solve their problems for $500.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Burn it down with him in it
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
You voted for it.  Now you have it.  Enjoy your SJW paradise.*

* coming soon to a state near you!

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
How big of a scumbag do you have to be to do something like that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#15]
In on one for the best and most creative of GD’s remedies.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I would have removed him in as long as it took to drag his ass out the door.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Something is kind of fishy in the story. First of all, does he ever leave the house? I mean even to go to the store? Because honestly once that motherfucker was down at the quickie Mart I’d bust a window and start throwing all his shit on the lawn.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You voted for it.  Now you have it.  Enjoy your SJW paradise.*

* coming soon to a state near you!

View Quote

Came hear to say pretty much the above.

I would be willing to bet the couple voted for those very politicians who made this whole scenario possible.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Shit like this is why people are fleeing California in droves.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#20]
California no other information needed
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Is there a law against them moving in?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Something is kind of fishy in the story. First of all, does he ever leave the house? I mean even to go to the store? Because honestly once that motherfucker was down at the quickie Mart I'd bust a window and start throwing all his shit on the lawn.
View Quote

He'd probably sue you and win.  This is California we're talking about.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I found the problem:

Taylor says, "It’s genuinely unfathomable to me that we live in a state where something like this is even possible. They closed escrow on this home January 31, 2020."
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How big of a scumbag do you have to be to do something like that.
View Quote

This.

Not everyone plays by the rules, but they expect to other's reactions to be governed by them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Not surprising. Not surprising at all.

Bet it takes at least a year, maybe longer and tens of thousands in legal fees to get this sorted. Maybe more if some "housing justice" group is convinced to jump in on the squatter's behalf.

I know someone who is dealing with actions being taken against them by a former co-inhabitant of the former owner of their current home.
House was foreclosed on and was tied up in court for ~6 months by their legal shenanigans. They were ruled against, the house remodeled and sold to someone I know.
Now a year later they are getting demand letters from said former co-inhabitants (they were the adult children of the former homeowner).
They think that their rights were violated and are demanding that the current owners surrender ownership of the house to them.
A little looksee into the background of said people shows they have a history of both suing people and getting in fights.
They also like to file restraining orders.

Personally, I am involved in a going on couple year long protracted legal battle against someone who should have no standing but is proceeding anyway.
And it has cost a late model used car's worth of lawyer so far.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]
"It took us scrambling to get everything we had, our life savings put together and a hard money loan on top of it to make that happen," Myles stated.
View Quote
Absent any other details, you read that, you know the story ends with them getting scammed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Be a shame if someone got an anonymous text saying "i'll never move out of this this..I'll burn it to the ground" .

Then the house burned to the ground.

Then the previous owner got charged with arson.

Be a real shame.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's their house, the person "residing" there is not a tenant, what's the fucking problem?

Bust the door down, move the fuck in.
View Quote

Exactly move in, and make their life hell until they leave.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#30]
They usually contract all that out in the purchase agreement, when the house is to be vacated by the seller if not already empty on closing.  I wouldn't close unless it was empty on final walk through which is what the morning of closing or the evening before. Maybe give the seller a week or two at most, again contract it out. Of course CA. may not be enforcing racist contracts these days.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Creative and CoC noncompliant solutions needed here.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess I’d probably be going to prison.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#34]
If housing is a human right and wealth distribution had a love child ...
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I guess I’d probably be going to prison.
View Quote

Only if caught, lol.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Those last two paragraphs. Goddamn
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah I would burn that place to the ground. In minecraft.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

lol
I’m right there with ya.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
I’m right there with ya.

A box of contractor bags and a roll of duct tape doesn't cost $5000.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is there a law against them moving in?
View Quote

Yep. He lives there. They own it. They ave to evict him, which is insane
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Since you own the home, put all the utilities in your name and turn them off.  Have his vehicle towed because it's parked on your property and is abandoned.

Watch the house and wait for him to leave.  Have a locksmith change all the locks.  Have a moving company come and pack all the belongings and have them in boxes on the curb.

Call the police the minute he arrives on your property and have your documents in hand.

BIG DOGS....two of them

/end
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#42]
If it were my house, he would leave.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#43]
They just need to dial 362-4364.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#44]
The utilities would have been put in buyer's name at closing. They should have turned off water, power, and gas immediately. Then bust out the windows. Riverside has an average high of like 400 degrees in the Summer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Question for GD lawyers....

Is it legal to take a gun into the house and shoot the fucker under a home invasion type law?

I know we are talking about California but in Alabama, I would be unloading some of my pre COVID HST’s in him and taking my chances with a jury of 12 guys in overalls with tobacco stained teeth.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Question for GD lawyers....

Is it legal to take a gun into the house and shoot the fucker under a home invasion type law?

I know we are talking about California but in Alabama, I would be unloading some of my pre COVID HST’s in him and taking my chances with a jury of 12 guys in overalls with tobacco stained teeth.
View Quote

I think you already know the answer to that. The main issue here is that they went to the authorities first.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#47]
This is a situation that you just don't need to involve anyone but the buyers and the sellers.  Shouldn't have gotten anyone else involved.  Much easier to settle in the end.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's bullshit, of course...seller's a thief.

View Quote

As someone who spent a lot of my life in Riverside growing up...this is 100% true

Seller is scum and I’m sure after this goes viral (this is the 3rd time seeing it) someone’s gonna pay this fuck a visit
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Atleast use American labor ...
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Since you own the home, put all the utilities in your name and turn them off.  Have his vehicle towed because it's parked on your property and is abandoned.

Watch the house and wait for him to leave.  Have a locksmith change all the locks.  Have a moving company come and pack all the belongings and have them in boxes on the curb.

Call the police the minute he arrives on your property and have your documents in hand.

BIG DOGS....two of them

/end
View Quote
What you are describing is, in many jurisdictions, an illegal eviction. When the cops showed up, you would be the one locked up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top