Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/13/2018 4:46:14 AM EDT
Installation of waterfall quartz countertop today, the guys installed the top piece without checking the fit of the vertical end piece. They went to install the vertical waterfall piece only to realize the top piece was cut wrong, it's an inch longer than it should be. Now I've got a small gap between the drawer bank and the end piece. Guy said he's going to have his cabinet guy install a filler. But my OCD is now triggered because the space between the drawers and the quartz isn't the same on the top as on the sides of the drawers. The drawer bank isn't tucked neatly at the end now. Would this drive you nuts? I don't understand how they mis-cut the top, I watched the guy make the template. Measure twice cut once? Fuck!Attachment Attached File

ETA more pics:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't bother me at all. With a filler in there is will look fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:54:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what kind of "filler" gets installed.

The difference in gap between the top and side doesn't matter a lot, because from most normal viewing angles, you can't see the top side gap anyway.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 4:57:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Not OCD so wouldn't bother me yet I would be asking for some sort of refund. They fucked up not paying full price for their fuck up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]
To top it off, the tile guys are coming tomorrow to grout the floors, and the bottom outside edge of the quartz slab is running right on top of the grout space, instead of neatly within the borders of the tile. Little shit like that makes me insane.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:10:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm starting to see a major incongruity between OP's avatar and his personality
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a fuck up.
Have them recut the top so the fit is what you paid for.
If not, get a refund and find a capable vendor, someone preferably who doesn't work like a drunk.
A filler is for those areas where there is a slight variance.
I'd call this supposed solution an abuse of a filler.
A fucked up solution to a fuck up offered by a fucked up installer.
Back in the day, If I ever let a vendor/sub get away with this BS, the principal would bounce me off the job.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure you paid good money to have these installed.  They need to fix their screw up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To top it off, the tile guys are coming tomorrow to grout the floors, and the bottom outside edge of the quartz slab is running right on top of the grout space, instead of neatly within the borders of the tile. Little shit like that makes me insane.
View Quote
The top is wrong and should be repaired properly at the installers expense. But... Design a kitchen install around the way the grout lines fall???
You should disclose your mental illness in all future dealings with any and all contractors you may run into...
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Have them buy you a new cabinet that's 1" wider.

I'm not against fillers to hide my own mistakes, but wouldn't accept it to cover somebody else's.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, filler my ass.

That's going to accumulate all kinds of dirt in there and be impossible to clean.

Make them redo it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#11]
You should have just ran your counter top 11/2" over side of cabinet like all counter tops traditionally are Instead of being Joe Cool and have it wrapped around down to floor. It looks like Shit Did your wife pick that out?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Being that the cabinet is recessed from the side panel, a filler is not going to make it any better.  That gap will accumulate dust and debris, and your drawers will be even more "recessed" or enclosed by the weird trainee sidewall.  Honestly that's a weird thing, it should have been measured correctly, and just had countertop on the top.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#13]
My OCD is triggered by your 1st world problem.

Make a decision! If it's gonna drive you nuts, have him fix it to spec.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Did you ask them yet if, in all their years in the business, they've ever heard "Measure twice, cut once"?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Unacceptable. I would make them do it correctly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#16]
i would caulk it with a 5 gallon bucket of drywall mud.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You should have just ran your counter top 11/2" over side of cabinet like all counter tops traditionally are Instead of being Joe Cool and have it wrapped around down to floor. It looks like Shit Did your wife pick that out?
View Quote
I agree ... Why have counter top running down the side, it's not like it's going to be used? Would have saved money not have it
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Spray foam FTW
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like ten gallons of shit. No way I'd accept that kind of work considering the price I'm sure you paid for it. You wanted a custom 1911 and you got a tapco fucked sks instead
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#20]
OP, although you seem a bit wound tight, I would not allow them to band-aid this with a filler.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't notice it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Pics of whole counter top?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Your cabinet guy should be able to fix that easily.

I'd insist on the countertop guys making accommodations for the cost of the repair on your countertop bill however.

I would definately not be able to just leave it as is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I think we need a whole new subsection within General Discussion Forum entitled Countertops.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#25]
The filler may help keep the drawers from hitting the side, so a win?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Your cabinet guy should not have to fix that. They screwed up the template unless you specified a certain overhang or a standard 1.5 overhang.

I’d make them redo it.  Honestly, the whole overhang looks to be done wrong, both off the side and the front, but it could be the angle.  It looks too WIDE, not necessarily too long?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#27]
If I'm paying to install a granite countertop, I'm paying to have a granite countertop installed RIGHT.

Sorry for your situation, OP. Too many people nowadays are fine with B grade work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
You should probably start doing your own work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#29]
"Guys, I'm sorry but I need you to recut the top piece.  I want the vertical and horizontal gap to be consistent and when the top gets cut shorter it will land better on the tile floor"

If it bothers you now it will bother you tomorrow and the next day...
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I would ask for a filler to be installed back even with the side of the recessed cabinet over to the upright. Even if they cut it back even with the recessed cabinet there will be a gap like someone already mentioned.

If I was married and it was the kitchen I would do what the wife wanted.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#31]
That would bother me and I would require them to recut the top properly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Post nails it.

AB
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Take a picture of the entire countertop.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think we need a whole new subsection within General Discussion Forum entitled Countertops.
View Quote
What happened with the arfcommer with the coutertop with the horrible looking joint?
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Make them fix it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#36]
What brand of quartz is it? Depending on brand you can go to the manufacturer if the fabricator doesn't fix it. Quartz companies tend to monitor their fabricators closely.

It can likely by fixed on site depending on the layout of the rest of the top. No excuse for the installer though.....he noticed it right away, and was hoping you weren't OCD enough to care.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What happened with the arfcommer with the coutertop with the horrible looking joint?
View Quote
I was watching that one also, I think he got fixed up by another company. What a shit show that was.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#38]
For what you pay for granite and installation if that was me they would fix that shit correctly and not by sticking a piece of wood in there to try and hide their fuck up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#39]
If it's not to the spec you ordered they need to fix it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
You need to learn how to do this work yourself if you want it perfect. You will never hire anyone who doesn't charge brain surgeon fees who will do perfect work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Get it fixed the best they can. In the scheme of things in life this
is about a nonissue. Get over it. You will be better off.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd let them try the filler piece first; most likely it will look just fine.

Mistakes happen and there's typically more than one way to fix it so it looks acceptable. Of course there's always that one asshole that won't be satisfied unless the contractor tears the whole thing out for no other reason than he wants him to.

I don't know how those guys can do residential. Too many HGTV experts out there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Must be a lot of contractors in this thread. Tons of people blaming the OPs OCD for the countertop installers inability to measure and check fitment prior to install.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why was the floor not grouted prior to cabinets being installed?  It should have been done prior to.....  That's where my OCD kicks in knowing that under the cabinetry is not grouted.  In reference to the waterfall screw up.....to me I'd rather see a filler there, typically a filler piece is installed in that situation so no worries about tight spaces between a moving part of the cabinets.  FWIW, I am a Project Manager in the construction profession for residential, we do anywhere from $50,000 remodels to $7,000,000 new homes.

Edit: Was the overhang measurement ever reviewed prior to fabrication?  1-1/2" is pretty standard.  Having said that, a qualified person would ask the question in that situation to confirm items prior to fabrication.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Post nails it.

AB
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Post nails it.

AB
Wanted to say this but....

Regardless of what we think, OP paid for it to be done to the spec he required.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why was the floor not grouted prior to cabinets being installed?  It should have been done prior to.....  That's where my OCD kicks in knowing that under the cabinetry is not grouted.  In reference to the waterfall screw up.....to me I'd rather see a filler there, typically a filler piece is installed in that situation so no worries about tight spaces between a moving part of the cabinets.  FWIW, I am in the construction profession for residential, we do anywhere from $50,000 remodels to $7,000,000 new homes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why was the floor not grouted prior to cabinets being installed?  It should have been done prior to.....  That's where my OCD kicks in knowing that under the cabinetry is not grouted.  In reference to the waterfall screw up.....to me I'd rather see a filler there, typically a filler piece is installed in that situation so no worries about tight spaces between a moving part of the cabinets.  FWIW, I am in the construction profession for residential, we do anywhere from $50,000 remodels to $7,000,000 new homes.
I don't know how you do it man. I'd rather deal with a pain in the ass architect than some of the home owner types posting in this thread.

At least the design team on a large commercial job understands construction means and methods...usually.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#48]
See if they can make the gap 2” so you can stash guns in there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Without a pic of the full run I can't  say I'd anything but have them fix their mistake at their expense.  If the cabinet run allowed it I might move that cabinet over and put the filler elsewhere since its so small of a filler if the run allowed it (like next to a dish washer).  This would depend on if there is upper cabinets and alignment looks with them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'd let them try the filler piece first; most likely it will look just fine.

Mistakes happen and there's typically more than one way to fix it so it looks acceptable. Of course there's always that one asshole that won't be satisfied unless the contractor tears the whole thing out for no other reason than he wants him to.  

I don't know how those guys can do residential. Too many HGTV experts out there.
View Quote

I believe in this crazy idea, if I'm paying you to do a job, I expect it to be done correctly. A countertop cut a full inch too long should have been caught and adjusted before they affixed it.
Taking pride in your work must be a foreign concept to many. That gap should have be caught when they dry fit the top.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top