Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/13/2023 2:58:42 PM EDT
Was it an intentional design choice to choose en bloc clips over magazines when the Garand was adopted in the 30s by the US Army? I vaguely recall reading that Ordnance did not want soldiers to waste ammo and were concerned with a mag they would burn through ammo faster.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Bar mags would seem to be a natural choice
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It was designed to be mag fed from the start.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I read somewhere on the internet that an original version had planned magazines but it was requested to be an internal magazine by the end.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Was it a proprietary mag?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The BM59 is one such example of how it would have worked for a magazine.

Belt fed was just not possible due to the design.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The Garand is mag fed.

Not detachable, but mag fed nevertheless.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Could have? Sure.

The choice was basically down to perceptions at the time about shooting stances and, more significantly, the logistics of magazines. Old dudes that had learned to shoot on trapdoor Springfield's were calling the shots, so only so much could change so fast.

All things considered, the enbloc.clips worked really well. I doubt they materially limited the average infantrymans effective rate of fire after the first 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The BM59 is one such example of how it would have worked for a magazine.

Belt fed was just not possible due to the design.
View Quote

Is a BM-59 receiver the same as a Garand (7.62 x 63mm) or is it scaled down for the shorter 7.62 x 51mm?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
All repeaters are feed from a magazine, just not all are removable.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Garand is mag fed.

View Quote

I’m not trying to be a pendantic ass but doesn’t by definition a magazine have its own internal spring to feed?

ETA: I guess I should have specified detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Army Ordnance Corps said nope.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool I’d like to see a prototype. Did it use BAR mags or did it have its own proprietary Garand mag?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I recall reading that they originally were designed to accept BAR magazines, but went to clips to save ammo and reduce costs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cool I'd like to see a prototype. Did it use BAR mags or did it have its own proprietary Garand mag?
View Quote

Winchester Experimental Mag-Fed Garands
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’m not trying to be a pendantic ass but doesn’t by definition a magazine have its own internal spring to feed?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Garand is mag fed.

Over/under on pendantic asses in this thread pointing out the definition of a magazine?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I recall reading that they originally were designed to accept BAR magazines, but went to clips to save ammo and reduce costs.
View Quote

Considering how badly we had let our military deteriorate after the Great War I almost understand Ordnances logic. After all it was the war to end all wars. I don’t know how clear WWII was in the minds of planners when Garand trials were going on in the early/mid 30s. None the less it seems a decision that probably cost many American infantrymen their lives.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Was it a proprietary mag?
View Quote

Gun Jesus has done several videos on this, including Garand's original designs with T1919 and T1920, BM-59, and Winchester experimental designs.

Dept of Ordnance specified the internal mag. Hatcher's Notebook can be downloaded as a .pdf and discusses why they wanted it.

Also, remember that the Pederson cartridge allowed for 10 Rd internal rather than 8.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Cool I’d like to see a prototype. Did it use BAR mags or did it have its own proprietary Garand mag?
View Quote

Here’s a cold link:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-en-bloc-clip-don-t-blame-john-garand/
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
The military stipulated that the M1 be loaded via en bloc clip and be in 276 Pederson.

John Garand built it and then the military said we changed our mind it must be 30-06.

In 1945 the M1 was adapted to be select fire using a modified BAR mag. They were planning

on having 100k ready for the invasion of Japan but the war ended and the program cancelled.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
That sounds stupid enough for the government to do it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#22]
It was, they called it the M-14.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The military stipulated that the M1 be loaded via en bloc clip and be in 276 Pederson.

John Garand built it and then the military said we changed our mind it must be 30-06.

In 1945 the M1 was adapted to be select fire using a modified BAR mag. They were planning

on having 100k ready for the invasion of Japan but the war ended and the program cancelled.
View Quote

Isn't that basically an M14?

Edit: damn, beat, but by less than a second? Not sure I've seen that before...
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#24]
An empty BAR mag weighs a pound and a half, empty.  More when you cram 20 rounds into it.  

Granted, you save some weight by removing the mag internals from the rifle, but that's still a substantial weight penality per 100 rounds of ammo compared to the en blocs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
A magazine fed M1 in 276 Pederson would have been very nice. Comically obsolete by today's standards. But bleeding edge tech in the early 1940s.

Oh well, it's not rifles and riflemen who win wars. Its artillery and things that make even bigger booms. When you have the balls to use it.

Since no one has both those bigger weapons or the balls to use them anymore I suppose no one will ever win a war ever again. They will just go on and on and on like the Hundred Years War.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

A magazine is where the ammo is stored ready to be fed into the chamber. A clip inserts into the magazine or charges a magazine. A magazine can be just loose rounds that gravity feed into the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s a reason why the Springfield Armory was shut down and the Ordnance Corps had its wings severely clipped after the cluster that was the M14 acquisition.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Looking at wiki......it’s pretty close case wise to the 6.5 Mannlicher-Carcano.  

It would have been a nice set up in .276 Pedersen with 10 rounds.   .450 casehead diameter versus the .30-06 .473 dia.

It’d be tempting to mod a bolt but too much work.  It’d be one thing to weld and remachine around the bolt face but if you had to alter/move the hole for the ejector then that’s a nonstarter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#29]
What’s funny is how the M1 has weird design choices due to its evolution during trials

The op rod is so damn long and the gas dwell time is about short because it was gonna be a gas trap rifle (in fact it was adopted as a gas trap). Even still the op rod can rub on the Barrel

The op rod is manufactured bent because of the thicker .30/06 barrel (the original .276 was straight)

8 rounds is unusual. It was supposed to be 10 .276

The disassembly is very weird and, for modern shooters very tricky to do without messing up your bedding / accuracy.

Really the intervals are just plain funky and unusual. Like using the recoil Spring As the mag spring too.

Also a weirdly short bolt and bolt throw. Like they were trying to keep the action length and recurved very short. Sub guns of the era had longer cycle distances!
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Considering how badly we had let our military deteriorate after the Great War I almost understand Ordnances logic. After all it was the war to end all wars. I don’t know how clear WWII was in the minds of planners when Garand trials were going on in the early/mid 30s. None the less it seems a decision that probably cost many American infantrymen their lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus the Grand was going up against bolt actions with 5 round internal magazines when it was first fielded.  Other countries were for sure experimenting with different designs, like the SKS, CETME, etc.  But nothing was fielded yet as I recall.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do not know.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is a BM-59 receiver the same as a Garand (7.62 x 63mm) or is it scaled down for the shorter 7.62 x 51mm?
View Quote
Same size. You can send Garand receivers out to be modified to BM-59 specs with some machining.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bar mags suck. The Garands bolt speed is too fast for the bar magazine to feed properly
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Bar mags suck. The Garands bolt speed is too fast for the bar magazine to feed properly
View Quote

Yep. They were heavy, too large for capacity, and too much friction. Apparently when they trialed the BAR mags, the bullet tips would indent the front of the mag from shaking around during recoil.

It doesn't help that it's an 8# rifle shooting 30-06 at 950rpm haha.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a good one!
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Internal magazine, clip fed!
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#38]
The M1 Garand recoil spring pulls double duty as the magazine spring.  When the weapon is in-battery (bolt closed), the bell-crank arm that applies force to the follower via the recoil spring is minimally-loaded.  The follower gradually accumulates force as the bolt travels to the rear, where it is at a maximum, ready to lift the stack of cartridges in front of the bolt.  I would surmise that this is a purposeful design element, since the low-mass op-rod is supplied with an incredibly brief burst of energy from the propellant gases at the gas port, which is like an inch from the muzzle.  John Garand appears to have purposely designed it so that the cartridge stack is exerting the least amount of force (and friction) to the bolt as the bolt is moving to the rear of the receiver.

The op-spring is also really strange - the print says it is made from a modified 420 stainless steel, that is heat-treated and heat-set (a process that sets up a beneficial residual-stress system) after it is coiled.  Both of those are really strange for a weapon spring, and I am personally unaware of any other weapon spring that is like that.  Whoever designed that was *extremely* concerned about time-dependent stress relaxation (resulting in a loss of load) of the spring, which I personally think is unfounded, because the spring sees an extremely low stress value, even when it is compressed solid.  I would not expect stress relaxation to be an issue at all with a spring that is stressed at only about 100,000psi when the bolt is locked open, regardless of material.

The M14 uses a 17-7ph recoil spring, which is basically impervious to stress relaxation at room temperature.  Strangely, it still used maximally-stressed Music Wire magazine springs, which absolutely do relax continuously over a period of weeks, months, years.  I don't know why they didn't use 17-7ph for that spring.

So yes, it could have used an external magazine, and there was a late-war prototype that did use BAR magazines (I forget its designation).

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What’s funny is how the M1 has weird design choices due to its evolution during trials

The op rod is so damn long and the gas dwell time is about short because it was gonna be a gas trap rifle (in fact it was adopted as a gas trap). Even still the op rod can rub on the Barrel

The op rod is manufactured bent because of the thicker .30/06 barrel (the original .276 was straight)

The disassembly is very weird and, for modern shooters very tricky to do without messing up your bedding / accuracy.

Really the intervals are just plain funky and unusual. Like using the recoil Spring As the mag spring too.

Also a weirdly short bolt and bolt throw. Like they were trying to keep the action length and recurved very short. Sub guns of the era had longer cycle distances!
View Quote

The Garand has a lot of really weird design features.  The receiever is incredibly short, and incredibly complicated.  A lot of the parts look like a headache to machine.

I don't think the bolt even travels to-and-fro in a perfectly straight line, I think it takes a slight rainbow-trajectory (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#40]
For 8-10 round rifle, clips actually make a lot of sense. Less weight than steel mags. Also shipped in clips ready to go. More than 8-10 rounds then mags make sense - but the mentality was a rifleman didn’t need hi-capacity magazines, especially in a 30-06 battle rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#41]
BM-59
The best 7.62 magazine ever made IMHO.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
T20E2:

Dutch version with Armalite-Inrichtingen AR-10 magazine:
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Could have? Sure.

The choice was basically down to perceptions at the time about shooting stances and, more significantly, the logistics of magazines. Old dudes that had learned to shoot on trapdoor Springfield's were calling the shots, so only so much could change so fast.

All things considered, the enbloc.clips worked really well. I doubt they materially limited the average infantrymans effective rate of fire after the first 20 rounds.
View Quote

Read once over at cmp forum that they army tested and found that the 8 rd clips were actually faster over the course of a prolonged battle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Could have been, and should have been.  But back then the people in charge were overly conservative and resistant to change.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Read once over at cmp forum that they army tested and found that the 8 rd clips were actually faster over the course of a prolonged battle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could have? Sure.

I think my late war the m1 Ammo came in on bandoleers already ready in en bloc clips but that wasnt always the case when we were still shooting up old stocks of 5 round stripper clips of M1903 Springfield ammo. IIRC the M1903s stayed in rifle squads for prehaps the entire war as they were needed for rifle launched grenades.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

When Springfield experimented with the T-22 up to T25, it was thought that the BAR magazine would be used.  The problem was the Army wanted selective fire and feeding with the BAR magazine was unreliable.  They could strengthen the spring to push the cartridges up faster; but then it wouldn't be reliable for the BAR OR they could lengthen the receiver by 1/4" which would increase the travel distance and give more time for the BAR magazine to feed.  Neither were ideal as the Army wanted to keep the receiver the same.  Remington's solution to keep the BAR magaazine and the original receiver was to insert a spring w/in the op rod spring (dual spring) worked, but for reason unknown the Army didn't like that either (NIH?).
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It was, they called it the M-14.

View Quote

Not exactly with M1 being long stroke and M14 short stroke.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Garand has a lot of really weird design features.  The receiever is incredibly short, and incredibly complicated.  A lot of the parts look like a headache to machine.

I don't think the bolt even travels to-and-fro in a perfectly straight line, I think it takes a slight rainbow-trajectory (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
View Quote

The bolt does slightly slightly tip down.

While the receiver isn't exactly simple, its about as simple as you can make a long stroke, en bloc clip fed rifle
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The past is another country, they do things differently there.

The thing I always notice about early repeating firearms is that they are usually insanely complicated, unless they were personally designed by John Moses Browning. Then I remind myself that the people designing these things often didn’t have a lot of other guns to reference.

Perfection is achieved when there is nothing more to take away.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top