Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2020 4:31:21 PM EDT
I like the size and shape of the M1 carbine, it fits me well and is fast on target.
Could a M1 carbine be assembled from cheaper parts and have the same feel, shape of a real one?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
No

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure.  Damn near anything "can" be built.

But it would cost way, way more money than you would save by using "cheaper parts".

Maybe you should think about a build based on one of those funky ARES SCR guns.  You could get fairly close to the M1 Carbine "form factor".
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
yes, you can melt down an AR and grow a walnut tree

you should start now

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like the size and shape of the M1 carbine, it fits me well and is fast on target.
Could a M1 carbine be assembled from cheaper parts and have the same feel, shape of a real one?
View Quote

Yes.  Plainfield, Universal, and Iver Johnson did exactly that.  They all went bankrupt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#6]
No. The inline buffer is what makes the AR what it is.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Way cheaper to scratch that  itch with a real one or a 10/22 build with the stock kit.

Reality is not likely without engineer skills, drafting skills, machining skills, and a lot of hand fitting and metal working skills.  Toss in forging skills and some other hard won knowledge and skills to make it happen.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]
There is the Fightelite SCR. Worth looking into, anyway. Different bolt carrier and buffer than an AR15.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a mini 14
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes.  Plainfield, Universal, and Iver Johnson did exactly that.  They all went bankrupt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold up!  Plainfield was actually using surplus USGI parts in the early days.  They bought a fuckton of them after the war and were assembling rifles from those parts. I used to have one that had a bunch of Inland (GM) internals.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plainfields are pretty good carbines. I've had a few range sessions with a Plainfield M2. It was a solid performer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish Fulton would make one in a more stout, straight walled cartridge.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sure.  Damn near anything "can" be built.

But it would cost way, way more money than you would save by using "cheaper parts".

Maybe you should think about a build based on one of those funky ARES SCR guns.  You could get fairly close to the M1 Carbine "form factor".
View Quote

Side charging upper, 16" pencil barrel, 13" rail, CZ sights should be a pretty lightweight, handy gun. Hell, a big bore version would be a decent replacement for the Ruger .44 autoloader.

Quoted:
yes, you can melt down an AR and grow a walnut tree

you should start now

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  Hold up!  Plainfield was actually using surplus USGI parts in the early days.  They bought a fuckton of them after the war and were assembling rifles from those parts. I used to have one that had a bunch of Inland (GM) internals.
View Quote

Likely every carbine producer of the 50's & 60's started w/ surplus GI parts.  Most went bankrupt or shut down when the supply of GI parts dried up.  Plainfield & Universal struggled on the longest; Universal by redesigning the action for proprietary but less expensive production.

Fully GI parts compatible carbines in current production run about the same as a good condition GI copy - you can build several consumer grade ARs for the same money.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get a mini 14
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Get a mini 14

This.

One day w/ the Universal and you're already back to the Mini?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Get a mini 14

This.

I took it out to the range today it functioned great I only have the half a box of ammo for it though.

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get a mini 14
View Quote

that's actually a pretty good idea

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top