Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2021 6:43:34 AM EDT
Which states do the Costco's sell liquor?
What bourbon's do they usually carry?
I travel occasionally for work and am always looking for some bourbon deals or stuff I can't find in PA.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Delaware

Christiana just south if the line off 95

Not a huge selection but really cheap compared to PA.

There are Total Wine stores close by with much bigger selection and equally good pricing. Actually their biggest store is just north of that Costco.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Delaware

Christiana just south if the line off 95

Not a huge selection but really cheap compared to PA.

There are Total Wine stores close by with much bigger selection and equally good pricing. Actually their biggest store is just north of that Costco.
View Quote

Yep that Total Wine is amazing. And you aren’t far from Cajun Kate’s!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Illinois...but I'm not sure on exact brands carried.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The Costco in DC sells liquor. Not the one in VA next to DC, the one on the east side.

Also, Florida. I know the Tampa one has a liquor store attached.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Michigan

ETA: Not sure how other states are, but you can buy booze at BJs/Sam's/Costco without being a member.

We buy from Sam's, because it's closer.  Basil Hayden is our current beverage of choice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe Maryland does as well??  A friend brings copious amounts of Kirkland vodka and their knockoff grand marnier with him from Maryland.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I believe Maryland does as well??  A friend brings copious amounts of Kirkland vodka and their knockoff grand marnier with him from Maryland.
View Quote

I don't think so. He is probably going to DC because it's so close.

If you go to Costco's website and look up store details, if it says "Fine Wines and Liquor" they sell liquor. The DC store says this, but none of the Maryland ones do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#9]
WA States Costco's do, but thats kinda a drive for you
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Costco in Fort Worth off of I20 at Bryant Irvin area has a liquor store attached.  No idea about the Bourbon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The one on Man O' War Blvd in Lexington Kentucky and the one in Florence Kentucky both do.

Their selection isn't anything unique or spectacular, mostly the usual stuff. But you can get giant bottles pretty cheap, that's the allure.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Costco in Fort Worth off of I20 at Bryant Irvin area has a liquor store attached.  No idea about the Bourbon.
View Quote

Costco is not allowed to sell liquor in Texas.  So - they partner with other entities and the liquor store attached is not owned by Costco, nor to they sell the same Kirkland liquors/beer and have the same good deals that other Costco's have in states where the store is Costco owned.  Texas has some of the most screwed up liquor laws around.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Arizona is probably a bit of a drive for liquor but the sell it here.
On another note, I was told that COSTCOs have different pricing and inventories depending if it is near a mall or at a stand alone location, true?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#14]
As just noted, Costcos in AZ sell liquor.  I haven't noticed if the alcohol prices at Coscto vary from location to location, I just assumed they were the same across locations at least in the PHX area.

For Bourbon, I'm pretty sure they have Bulleit and Basil Hayden's on a regular basis.  I've seen various Whistle Pig bottles from time to time, and I think I've seen some Four Roses Single Barrel there before but I could be wrong.  For the most part, it seems like Total Wine is close to Costco in price for the same items around here, but of course Total Wine has a much larger selection.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The one on Man O' War Blvd in Lexington Kentucky and the one in Florence Kentucky both do.

Their selection isn't anything unique or spectacular, mostly the usual stuff. But you can get giant bottles pretty cheap, that's the allure.
View Quote

I think I would rather hit up a Liquor Barn if I am in KY. I was impressed with their selection.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As just noted, Costcos in AZ sell liquor.  I haven't noticed if the alcohol prices at Coscto vary from location to location, I just assumed they were the same across locations at least in the PHX area.

For Bourbon, I'm pretty sure they have Bulleit and Basil Hayden's on a regular basis.  I've seen various Whistle Pig bottles from time to time, and I think I've seen some Four Roses Single Barrel there before but I could be wrong.  For the most part, it seems like Total Wine is close to Costco in price for the same items around here, but of course Total Wine has a much larger selection.
View Quote

I'll be out there in a couple of months for week. Should I not bother with Costco and just hit up Total Wine instead?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Many CostCo's have liquor stores attached; not all of those stores are CostCo run / operated.

In Colorado they have a few blue laws on how many stores an owner can have in the State.  It use to be one, now that law is slowly being changed.

In Colorado I know of two CostCo's with full liquor stores own by CostCo.  One in Denver area and the second in Colorado Springs.  The dead giveaway the state is is the store attached to the side of the building or located after your show your membership card.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#18]
First you have to figure out which states don’t hold a monopoly on liquor distribution. There are 18 states that actually own the distribution. Michigan is one, and there is a minimum price that retailers must charge. They can charge more, but can’t charge less. So you can’t get deals on liquor at Costco in Michigan.

They say the idea is that if liquor was too cheap, people would buy it and be soused all the time. It’s really about the 65% mark-up the state pockets as a thinly veiled tax, plus all the taxes on top of the liquor (which can’t be rolled into the price, if I’m not mistaken).
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine do, selection at mine is has been pretty decent since the shivers started

The added a whole extra aisle
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Iirc, there are only two Costco locations in GA that sell liquor.

It's my understanding that GA only allows corporations to sell liquor in two locations, so the Costco in Alpharetta and the Perimeter location are the only ones in the state.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Roughly half the buildings in Colorado do. The rest just rent space to an independent liqour store.

Costco liqour is where it’s at. Their liqour budget is basically limitless to get people in and talking about it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Wisconsin Costco’s all have liquor. I’m sure they wouldn’t have gotten building permits if they didn’t.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't think so. He is probably going to DC because it's so close.

If you go to Costco's website and look up store details, if it says "Fine Wines and Liquor" they sell liquor. The DC store says this, but none of the Maryland ones do.
View Quote

Very well could be.  I guess I never asked, but just assumed he was going in Maryland.  

I know Costcos on OH don't sell liquor........
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'll be out there in a couple of months for week. Should I not bother with Costco and just hit up Total Wine instead?
View Quote

I would say it depends on what you are looking for.  Costco seems to have some decent options most of the time, but not necessarily a wide selection.  Total Wine usually has a pretty good selection and their prices are fair.    I could be wrong, but it seems like Total Wine around here is usually priced to be pretty close to Costco on the same items, but I haven't specifically compared their prices on Bourbon.  You can go to the Total Wine website and put in AZ for a pick up location to get an idea of what they have and prices.   I'll try to remember to see what Costco has the next time I'm in there.  

If it were me, I would go to Total Wine just for the larger selection of options.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

The liquor barn there is part of any vacations we take down 75
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:05:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Costco in Florida sells liquor.  

While beer and wine are sold in the main warehouse, hard liquor is sold in separate enclosed section with its own entrance.

That is because Florida has a tax on liquor stores that is based on the square footage of the store and so the hard liquor has its own entrance for the hard stuff so the tax is only for that area.  Walgreens and Publix do the same things.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine has a separate entrance to the liquor room.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Indiana Costco sells beer, wine, and liquor to non-members.

Stopped in today, WR Double Oaked is $46, Redbreast 12 yr was $55.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I was in a Costco in Phoenix yesterday and looked to see what they had for Bourbon.  Nothing too exciting - They had Bulleit and Basil Haydens which are both good but pretty common.  I would go to Total Wine for a bigger selection and similar prices.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Costco sells liquor unless the local government won't let them.

Link Posted: 3/22/2021 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Ours does in MO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top