Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2020 1:44:32 AM EDT
Been notified assistance may be needed in jail due to manpower shortages so road is having to come in.
Anything a guy should know to be somewhat prepared, especially uni/gear wise.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't get yourself in to anything you can't get yourself out of!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:31:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep your gear minimal. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten hands on and when done the new guys shit has fallen off and went everywhere.
Also, having quality gear solves this.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont ever put your face in front of an open food slot.

Cooler heads make everything easier in a corrections environment.  Communicate with inmates before trying to put your hands on them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Treat inmates like they are just part of the jail, their opinions thoughts and complaints dont matter.

Just do your job.

When in doubt put him in chains

Gear for us is an Mk-4, key set, cuffs and a radio....I also carry a flashlight.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Firm, fair and consistent.  It's easier to start tough and loosen up than the other way around.  Give respect to get respect.  Treat them like people and they'll treat you like a person.  Beware of the inmate that just wants to come and chit chat - they're distracting you from something else that's going on.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]
There are no accidents in prison, take everything somone does at face value and intentional.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Very very few seriously bad things, and no escape happens in corrections simply because just one person screws up. Count on it. Crap like that is always because in some way or somehow ... more than one person made a mistake.
Therefore, try to hang with the staff that are doing things the right way in the first place.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dont ever put your face in front of an open food slot.

Cooler heads make everything easier in a corrections environment.  Communicate with inmates before trying to put your hands on them.
View Quote

My shift catches shit on occasion for being too "soft" on our inmates (county jail).  We do a lot of talking and less chest-puffing.  We probably ask-tell-tell-tell-make more than we should.  However we usually get our desired outcome without tasing, OCing, or putting anyone in the chair (usually after tasing or OC'ing).  Folks who straddle shifts (clerks, etc) say our shift is the smoothest running, and they feel the safest during it.  However, we also try to keep our word to the inmates, as well.  

The other shifts are more of the "you will respect my AUTHORITAH!" types.  Lockdowns over minor infractions (like an inmate shit-talking you under his breath, etc), more hands-on events, more write-ups, etc.  They generally get the inmates more riled up.

Then again, the average age of our shift is probably 15-19 years older than the average age of the other shifts...
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Firm, fair and consistent.  It's easier to start tough and loosen up than the other way around.  Give respect to get respect.  Treat them like people and they'll treat you like a person.
View Quote

Generally, this. However, also be aware that some people are just brain-damaged, or so jacked on substances (at intake, not housing) that they can't effectively be reasoned with.  I've found that it's sometimes effective in those cases to play along with their delusions, guiding them in the direction you want to go.  Also helpful to let them "make the choice" you want them to make...
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Been notified assistance may be needed in jail due to manpower shortages so road is having to come in.
Anything a guy should know to be somewhat prepared, especially uni/gear wise.
View Quote

We like and appreciate our Road counterparts.  However, sometimes they are more hindrance than help.  Nothing is shittier than having everyone calmed down, everything running along smoothly, and then a bored Road guy comes in just to fuck with the peeps in intake, and start the monkey-poo-flinging.  Then they leave.

My suggestion?  If you're coming in from the Road, and the Jail guys seem to have methods they are effective with, use their methods.  IMO housing is the more sedate, "we have things to check off the list, let's work down the  list" area, with Intake being more "0-100 in .5 seconds.  Usually because the folks in Intake are 1) pissed their in jail, 2) entitled shits who don't realized the real world doesn't bow to them, or 3) still riding the wave of whatever shit they've put in their bodies.  The Road guys are usually the guys looking for more "action", so they tend to go more insane running the board in housing/serving trays/passing out laundry/commissary/toilet paper.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My shift catches shit on occasion for being too "soft" on our inmates (county jail).  We do a lot of talking and less chest-puffing.  We probably ask-tell-tell-tell-make more than we should.  However we usually get our desired outcome without tasing, OCing, or putting anyone in the chair (usually after tasing or OC'ing).  Folks who straddle shifts (clerks, etc) say our shift is the smoothest running, and they feel the safest during it.  However, we also try to keep our word to the inmates, as well.  

The other shifts are more of the "you will respect my AUTHORITAH!" types.  Lockdowns over minor infractions (like an inmate shit-talking you under his breath, etc), more hands-on events, more write-ups, etc.  They generally get the inmates more riled up.

Then again, the average age of our shift is probably 15-19 years older than the average age of the other shifts...
View Quote

Being able to talk to and with inmates is a skill. You have to know how to win and lose those games but keep a good attitude about it. Use of force should be a last resort and it sounds like your shift knows your inmates.  

I'm "non-custody" staff and people think I'm too easy on inmates. They don't see that I've spent years gaining their respect and know how to talk with our inmates and they and I know our boundaries.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Be polite, be professional, and understand that most inmates are full of shit.  At the same time, treat them with dignity and respect.  If you tell them you will do something, make sure you follow through.  

Simple things like allowing them to cut their hair or go to the recreation yard don't take much effort on your part, but go a long way with keeping them occupied and off your leg.  If you control the ability to turn off their TVs and telephones, that make an excellent way to get them to behave and follow your rules.  It's also a good way to get them to sweep and mop their living areas - "TVs and phones will go on after cleaning is done."  It's like magic

They will always try to get extra trays or food whenever possible.  Before they eat their breakfast/lunch/dinner, count the number of inmates, and then count the number of trays.  Inmate math is different than regular math, and they will somehow always be short a few trays if you don't count.  If you do have extra trays left over, divvy them out fairly.  I've seen tons of fights over the years because this group got more trays than that group.

Every minor ailment they have will make them want a trip to the hospital.  Hopefully, you have a good medical staff at the jail who won't put up with bullshitters and malingerers who want a change of scenery and a shot at some better food.

Gear-wise, you should probably carry most of the same stuff you carry on the street, other than your gun.  Some agencies allow jail staff to carry a baton as part of your regular duties; most do not.  If you can carry a Taser, do it.  If you carry a radio with a lapel mic, make sure it is secured to your uniform.  I've seen lots of guys go running to respond to a call of jail staff in a fight and their mics go flying.  

Carry at least two sets of cuffs.  If you have to go sort things out after a dayroom brawl involving multiple inmates, you will probably have more inmates on the ground than jail staff to handcuff them.  Have your name and ID number engraved or labelled on your cuffs, as these tend to wander off if left unattended.

Carry a couple sets of latex or nitrile gloves on you at all times.  It never fails that when you don't have them on you is when you have to go hands on with someone who has blood or something worse on them.

Good luck and stay safe in there!

Link Posted: 8/8/2020 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Use of force should be a last resort and it sounds like your shift knows your inmates.  
View Quote

Yes and no,  staff that are timid and afraid to use force, to say dump a guy or tackle an inmate can result in someone else or themselves getting hurt.  At my current facility, we do quite a bit of immediate and calculated uses of force, so the inmates know exactly what to expect, keep their hands off and to listen....they are way more passive around staff, more laid back and casual really...but when we say get on the ground or keep your hands up...they do it without hesitation or push back.  

So yes it should be a last resort, but staff should be very well versed and trained on what is appropriate and when, trust your instincts and do not hesitate.

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Having done 9 yrs of IA investigations (both inside & out) for my agency, my advice is to be firm but fair. Treat them like a human being.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought this thread was about tipping.

Every time I get thrown in jail I always tip the officer three bucks if he doesn't bang my head on the rear seat car roof.

Is it still three bucks or has it gone up?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Having done 9 yrs of IA investigations (both inside & out) for my agency, my advice is to be firm but fair. Treat them like a human being.
View Quote

if you follow policy, and just act like a reasonable person it keeps you out of the funny papers....its not your job to punish the inmate for something he did yesterday, or because he fucks kids, focus on behavior and what he is doing in that specific interaction....hesitation shows pre-meditation

Link Posted: 8/23/2020 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I thought this thread was about tipping.

Every time I get thrown in jail I always tip the officer three bucks if he doesn't bang my head on the rear seat car roof.

Is it still three bucks or has it gone up?
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top