Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2023 9:41:50 PM EDT
TLDR:  My physical therapist is charging me $400 a month in co-pays AFTER insurance.  Don't feel they're worth that.  What exercises should I do?

53, haven't ridden my bike for a couple of years.  Couple of months ago set up at a gun show and really tweaked my back - like rolling over in my sleep caused me to shout in pain.  Went to PA, got anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxers.  Went to spine doc, actual MD.  Diagnosed arthritis btwn L4 & 5 based on the CT scan, not a huge surprise, have it in my knees & toes from running.  He offered me a steroid shot, which I declined given my history w/ steroids.  He referred me to a local physical therapy place.

Therapist has a doctorate, her assistant is in school.  1st session they evaluated me, & gave me 3 exercises centered on the back & hips.  Been doing those, quit the meds, mowed the lawn yesterday, feeling pretty good.

Today was all core strengthening exercises, some involving equipment that I don't have at home.  I wasn't sold.  Cancelled all the other appointments I had scheduled.  No other home exercises were suggested.  I don't feel doing core exercises twice a week in their facility is worth $100 a week + what they're getting from the insurance company, when I could watch some YouTube videos and do those exercises every day.

What exercises that I can do at home, or YouTube, Rumble, or Playeur channels do you recommend to strengthen my core?  As soon as I replace the tube on the bike, I'll be back on that & running errands on that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What 3 exercises they give you to do?

Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Lower Trunk Rotations

Bridge

Hip Abduction
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine are fused. I was told hanging from a bar and doing the best crunch I could do for as much as I could would help build support.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:07:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Lower Trunk Rotations

Bridge

Hip Abduction
View Quote

Any physical limitations to justify that prescription?

As cheesy as it sounds, the Ab Ripper X program does have some good movements and you could build up the volume as you progress, start easy, work your way up, pick the movements that work for you.

Scissor Twist
Row Your Boat (yeah, I said cheesy)
Superman Banana
Oblique Crunch
Roll V Hold
Abrinome
Gate Bridge (it's just a fucking leg raise, but the fitness industry has to make money some how)
Phelon Twist
Scissor Clapper
Tornado
Balance Bike Crunch

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Lower Trunk Rotations

Bridge

Hip Abduction

Well, arthritis btwn L4 & L5...

I'm still in pain from therapy 2 days later.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]

As cheesy as it sounds, the Ab Ripper X program does have some good movements and you could build up the volume as you progress, start easy, work your way up, pick the movements that work for you.

Scissor Twist
Superman Banana
Oblique Crunch
Roll V Hold
Abrinome
Gate Bridge (it's just a fucking leg raise, but the fitness industry has to make money some how)
Phelon Twist
Scissor Clapper
Tornado
Balance Bike Crunch
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Lower Trunk Rotations

Bridge

Hip Abduction

Scissor Twist
Superman Banana
Oblique Crunch
Roll V Hold
Abrinome
Phelon Twist
Scissor Clapper
Tornado
Balance Bike Crunch

That's the sorta thing I'm looking for, thanks.  I'll take a look at it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top