Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2021 12:13:12 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I know this is old, but is this the case elsewhere?

I don’t blame anyone who has left. I know I wouldn’t be up to it.

Are shortages as bad as they are reporting?

Baltimore police shortage

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Every city is hamsterdam now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Tulsa PD says they are way short of new recruits for the next academy. They only have ten eligible candidates.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]
try and find anyone who wants that career right now, lol... so glad i got out of it years ago.. 15 years was enough. cant imagine it now
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tulsa PD says they are way short of new recruits for the next academy. They only have ten eligible candidates.
View Quote

Glad I’m not in Tulsa.

Though, I can’t imagine anywhere is good.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#5]
There really can't be a lot of people stupid enough to be cops in democrat run places.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, it's bad everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I regularly heard 20% vacancy rate as an average for most departments.  I was speaking to a guy last week about corrections.  He rolled his eyes at 20% and said it was ALOT higher.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#8]
We are down 3 at a 23 person department. Got 13 apps in the hiring process. We will see where it leads.

The regional SWAT team I am on is down almost 10 people and we only have one potential prospect to bring on.

The people being hired these days don't want to be on the swat team. Many of them would probably rather not carry a gun. Fewer and fewer meat eaters on the street to end the fights that the diversity hires and hug a thug believers get themselves into.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a friend who is a ~4 year Army vet, retired from Atlanta PD, and is the chief of a local PD. His oldest is most likely going to attend a service academy. He's an awesome kid. If I have anything to do with it, and I do, he'll earn his Eagle Scout. Shit is a lot harder during Covid BS. His youngest is in Middle School. He's mid-50s. He's gonna pull the plug soon. He told me they'd most likely hire me with zero LEO experience, fat and mid-50s.

Keep your powder dry people.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes. Plenty of shortages.

More COPS funds are 20+ years old. What that means is the big money from the feds for hiring cops in the mid to late 90s has resulted in those cops hitting close to retirement years. With all this drama and stupidity, A LOT are pulling the plug.

So, retirements are up. And COVID created a funding vacuum, as municipalities shrunk budgets. A bunch of academies were canceled. Labor contracts were put on hold. Raises stopped. And labor negotiations froze. In one month, I heard we had 110 retirements.

Before all of this, we were starting to get close to our 2007 staffing levels.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Trump was right about Baltimore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The rat infestation, or something else?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There really can't be a lot of people stupid enough to be cops in democrat run places.
View Quote

1,800 signed up to work in NYC in under two months at the end of last year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a friend who is a ~4 year Army vet, retired from Atlanta PD, and is the chief of a local PD. His oldest is most likely going to attend a service academy. He's an awesome kid. If I have anything to do with it, and I do, he'll earn his Eagle Scout. Shit is a lot harder during Covid BS. His youngest is in Middle School. He's mid-50s. He's gonna pull the plug soon. He told me they'd most likely hire me with zero LEO experience, fat and mid-50s.

View Quote

You mean APD's $2500 bonus isn't working to retain people?
As to the part in bold, of course they'd hire you. APD has had academy classes where 1/3 of the new hires had a criminal record so being older shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I can understand wanting to be a cop.

I can't understand wanting to be a cop in this political environment. They'll throw you under the bus in a second for a justified shoot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#16]
From a 2014 article

Last summer, the Baltimore Police Department told the Baltimore Sun that it had about one-sixth fewer officers than it needed to adequately patrol the city’s streets. But according to Governing magazine, Baltimore’s 2,962-strong law enforcement force means that there are 47.4 officers for every 10,000 residents — a police-to-population rate that’s higher than any other city in the country besides Washington, DC.

Nationwide, cities with populations over 50,000 average just 17 officers per 10,000 residents, meaning that Baltimore has more than twice the police presence of most cities. We also tend to spend more on our police force than comparable cities.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a shit hole. I lived there for a short time in 1996 and it's only gotten worse.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As to the part in bold, of course they'd hire you. APD has had academy classes where 1/3 of the new hires had a criminal record so being older shouldn't be a problem.
View Quote

This is crazy.  My son does his formal interview Monday for the Statesboro PD.  He was originally looking at APD as his plans are to eventually get into the FBI or other federal enforcement agency (field type, not "corporate", he doesn't have the pedigree).  I was shocked that they had four positions in Statesboro and had about 30 applicants; less than 10 made the initial background check before the polygraph.  Following the physical fitness/obstacle course test, they narrowed it down pretty quickly.

He's just waiting on his Infantry basic course dates (likely next year), but this is a good starting point for him and he'll get to work on his masters while working in a pretty tame department and smaller town.  

I told my son to never work for a democratic run city.  Period.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cobb county is poaching officers with their lateral transfer program. $5,000.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Shit Hole!
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The best part is Atlanta is only giving it to the younger cops.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#22]
This is all anecdotal, I started in 2000, before the rush in popularity after 9/11.  Even then the good local departments were having 200 applicants per test, which increased after 9/11.  Those same places now are getting 5-20 applicants a hiring cycle working in the suburbs at a low national cost of living region making about $100k base by year 3.  Additionally, my department has gone from requiring a degree or equivalent and a stringent PT test to requiring neither, all while having started paying some choice applicants to go through the academy.  This all started roughly 3 -4 years ago, so I can only imagine what the future brings.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#23]
So... people DON'T want to be cops on Baltimore?

I am shocked.

After a concert in Baltimore once, I saw a group of youths carrying a body/passed out person? Into a car. There was a uniformed cop standing about 40ft away.

He looked at them, then just turned his head

That's Baltimore

ETA: there were obvious plainclothes cops around too...I really don't know wtf was going on, but it was surreal that nobody seemed to care. Though, in retrospect, I may have been one of the few sober people there seeing as it was a Phish concert

Speed

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I hope they become short 2,000 officers.

Why would you basically commit suicide by working there?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And here’s hoping every one of them is a piece of trash....sounds harsh but the city has to burn well before the idiots learn a lesson.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#26]
The shortage is needed to create a new recruit standard.
Lots of people with enforcement backgrounds out there just waiting, meet the new police.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Hmmmm. Sounds like an opportunity to get a do-nothing job. Smile and wave
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can understand wanting to be a cop.

I can't understand wanting to be a cop in this political environment. They'll throw you under the bus in a second for a justified shoot.
View Quote

You can avoid being in a shoot, justified or otherwise, if you stay in your car and avoid the crime prone areas.  It works for me as a civilian, and it can work for you too.

Smile and wave.  And get an unlimited data plan and a good USB charger.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#30]
We knew we had a bunch leaving due to maxing out in DROP, then we had a bunch leave unexpectedly.  Sick time abuse is rampant.  Nobody wants to come to work, even on OT. WAY behind the 8 ball, and almost 0 good candidates to hire.  

This will create a shitstorm that will last for decades.  If you are forced to hire turds just to fill the gaps, inevitably they will wind up as training officers in a few years, or worse yet promoting up through the ranks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"Across the country, there has been a struggle in retaining and hiring officers," Assistant Chief Treadaway said. "Birmingham is no different. We are in excess of 100 officers short. This is going to allow us to get our numbers up."
View Quote

Assistant Chief's name checks out.  Just tread away at this point.  Let the mayor figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#33]
This is just the beginning of the federal governments plan to reduce resources, assets and manpower so they can completely eliminate local and state level policing and establish a militarized federal police force.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You can avoid being in a shoot, justified or otherwise, if you stay in your car and avoid the crime prone areas.  It works for me as a civilian, and it can work for you too.

View Quote

Works for many places but in big cities their entire precincts, where they’re required to stay, are often “crime prone areas”
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is just the beginning of the federal governments plan to reduce resources, assets and manpower so they can completely eliminate local and state level policing and establish a militarized federal police force.

View Quote

I'm guessing their shirts will be some shade of brown.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
try and find anyone who wants that career right now, lol... so glad i got out of it years ago.. 15 years was enough. cant imagine it now
View Quote
It will be the wrong ones who want it.
Top Top