Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/28/2023 10:45:26 PM EDT
Records confirm man did not receive heart transplant medicine in Duval County jail.
Records confirm man did not receive heart transplant medicine in Duval County Jail. He died days...

Cops Deny Heart Transplant Patient His Medication - He Dies Of Heart Failure.
Cops Deny Heart Transplant Patient His Medication - He Dies Of Heart Failure.

Newsjax4: Records confirm man did not receive heart transplant medicine in Duval County Jail. He died days later

Dexter Barry, 54, died a few days after being released

Anne Maxwell
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Records from the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office confirm a Jacksonville man did not receive any doses of an essential medication while at the Duval County Jail on a misdemeanor charge in November. After spending a weekend in jail, Dexter Barry, 54, died a few days after being released.

The records also reveal jailers knew about the prescription, which was required to keep his body from rejecting his heart transplant.

MORE: Man dies after going days in Duval County jail without medication, family says

According to Duke Health, if anti-rejection medications are stopped, rejection can occur quickly and can result in a permanent decline in heart function and death.

“My surgery cost me $4 million,” Barry is heard telling an officer in body camera video from his arrest. “I had a heart pump first, and I had a transplant.”

Barry was charged with simple assault on Nov. 18, 2022. He was accused of verbally threatening his neighbor in a dispute over Wi-Fi. The charge was a misdemeanor with a maximum sentence of 60 days.

The video of Barry’s arrest shows he told the officer about his transplant or his medicine seven times throughout the course of his arrest.

“I can’t miss no doses,” he told the arresting officer.

But he did miss doses, for days.

Jail records show Barry had a medical screening at the jail the day he was booked. His heart transplant and medications were noted, including his prescription for Mycophenolate, which is an immunosuppressant used to keep a patient’s body from rejecting an organ transplant. His health appointment was described as “urgent,” however, a log of medications Barry received at the jail over more than two days shows he never received the Mycophenolate drug that protected his heart.

“How do you give him blood pressure and cholesterol meds, but don’t give him the most important meds of all?” asked Barry’s daughter, Janelle King. “That’s my only question. And we all know now that my dad’s rejection meds were the most expensive meds he took. So all this can be about is money.”

Barry had dreams of becoming a grandparent.

“The fact that my father is not here, and I’m trying to have a baby soon, it’s really gut-wrenching to me,” King said.

Attorney Andrew Bonderud, who represents Barry’s family, said he waited five months for the public records he requested from JSO that prove Barry never got his medication in jail. He said the records were released to him the morning after the I-TEAM’s initial story on Barry was published.

“I want to get answers because I think the City of Jacksonville, the people who live here, and the people who run the city need to be educated about exactly what’s going on at the jail,” Bonderud said.

A spokesperson for the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office said they can’t comment on Barry’s situation because of pending litigation.

The I-TEAM has also reached out for comment to Armor Correctional Health Services, which is the parent company of the contractor that provides healthcare to inmates here at the jail.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Chaching for his family
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Weird. Usually the government wouldn't fuck up like that and kill someone.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If a hospital did that everyone would be named individually in the suit as well as the hospital. Need to end this qualified immunity BS
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Not that I need yet another reason to despise our government, but if the story is true, then everyone involved should be hung by the neck until dead. There is absolutely no excuse for a jailer to deny an inmate critical meds.  As far as I'm concerned, all government officials involved in this case should be convicted of murder and punished accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If a hospital did that everyone would be named individually in the suit as well as the hospital. Need to end this qualified immunity BS
View Quote

Suit?  Hell, you'd have people calling for them to be arrested for negligence.

They knew he needed the meds.
They knew he'd likely die without it.
They didn't give him the meds.

Seems pretty cut and dry the people responsible should be spending some time on the other side of the bars.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting price range on GoodRX. No telling what the jail markup is.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Protected and served
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Chaching for his family
View Quote

They must be so happy for their great luck.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
So charge everyone involved with manslaughter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Chaching for his family
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Barry was charged with simple assault on Nov. 18, 2022. He was accused of verbally threatening his neighbor in a dispute over Wi-Fi. The charge was a misdemeanor with a maximum sentence of 60 days.

Why even arrest him when they let people out for more serious crimes?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Qualified immunity is bullshit
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry OP, you can hate on all the cops you want but I cops don't decide what meds you get. Contract nurses and doctors handle that. Yes, the cops in the jail may handle distribution and that is it. They can't decide who gets what meds.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sorry OP, you can hate on all the cops you want but I cops don't decide what meds you get. Contract nurses and doctors handle that. Yes, the cops in the jail may handle distribution and that is it. They can't decide who gets what meds.
View Quote

And they were all too dumb to listen to the man begging for life-saving meds and realizing something was horribly wrong.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#15]
fine, i'll be "that guy". maybe, just maybe, if he had not threatened his neighbor, and kept his own ass out of jail, none of this would have happened? a radical concept, i know.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
fine, i'll be "that guy". maybe, just maybe, if he had not threatened his neighbor, and kept his own ass out of jail, none of this would have happened? a radical concept, i know.
View Quote

Unless it was witnessed by a disinterested third-party or on film, it's just a Karen's word.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#17]
There is not a law on the books that police will not kill you to enforce.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like premeditated murder to me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#19]
So the medical staff at the jail didn't give him his prescribed medication.

So why is the headline of this "cops failed"?

Cop=arrest, take to jail.

Jail=Keep guy in custody til court appearance, bond set and release.

Nurse=give guy prescribed meds ***FAIL***
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#20]
You really should take ‘cops’ out of your title since you know full well it wasn’t ‘cops’ that killed him, it was non sworn idiot jailers/medical staff that did it. But it just wouldn’t be as juicy I guess.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You really should take ‘cops’ out of your title since you know full well it wasn’t ‘cops’ that killed him, it was non sworn idiot jailers/medical staff that did it. But it just wouldn’t be as juicy I guess.
View Quote

@soonerfan7

+1

Typically a nurse.  It’s usually a pretty good gig.  It’s often an outside contracted service so the jail may be off the hook on this one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There is not a law on the books that police will not kill you to enforce.
View Quote

You think the cops had anything to do with this?

What do you think the police do after arresting someone and driving them to the jail?  Do you actually think the cops had any further contact with this dude after he was dropped off at the jail?

OP's thread title is borderline retarded.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Blame the corrections officers and not police officers. They’re two totally different jobs. It’s like blaming the electricians because the plumbing is messed up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
That had not yet been decided.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not that I need yet another reason to despise our government, but if the story is true, then everyone involved should be hung by the neck until dead. There is absolutely no excuse for a jailer to deny an inmate critical meds.  As far as I'm concerned, all government officials involved in this case should be convicted of murder and punished accordingly.
View Quote

James McDougal died under similar circumstances
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Blame the corrections officers and not police officers. They’re two totally different jobs. It’s like blaming the electricians because the plumbing is messed up.
View Quote

The CO's have fuck all to do with administering medication to inmates beyond handing out whatever medical staff tell them to hand out.  In most facilities medical staff perform med-pass and CO's just stand by.

Their only involvement is to document medical history and current medications/treatments, which gets passed along to medical staff.

There may be some liability on their end if it was clear to them that this guy was suffering from a medical emergency somewhere along the way and they didn't act accordingly, however.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I try to post the titles from the articles as published. A few searches for Armor Correctional Health Services “lawsuits” is interesting. I found one lawsuit where it looks like Florida was hiding behind the “Contract health providers” to avoid FOIA request for medical treatment.
https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/900001-2801-_human_rights_defense_center_v_armor_correctional_health_services-amicus_curiae_brief.pdf
(I didn’t  researching the entire lawsuit).
Also found a case where they provided Type I diabetes meds for a Type II person.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Every person in that jail that knew he needed heart transplant meds and did nothing should be prosecuted for murder .
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's murder.  They knew he needed that medicine to live and chose to kill him.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah you definitely deserve to die for a misdemeanor.  Wtf
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Interesting price range on GoodRX. No telling what the jail markup is.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255543/IMG_2866_jpeg-2832759.JPG
View Quote

GoodRX is scam. They listed a CGM for about $175 but when I got to target their price, it was only $77.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The CO's have fuck all to do with administering medication to inmates beyond handing out whatever medical staff tell them to hand out.  In most facilities medical staff perform med-pass and CO's just stand by.

Their only involvement is to document medical history and current medications/treatments, which gets passed along to medical staff.

There may be some liability on their end if it was clear to them that this guy was suffering from a medical emergency somewhere along the way and they didn't act accordingly, however.
View Quote

Care, custody and control is what those CO’s have. Someone was likely too lazy to walk the inmate to medical as usual.
I just know that the one group who has absolutely nothing to do with him not getting his meds were actual cops.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:58:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Care, custody and control is what those CO’s have. Someone was likely too lazy to walk the inmate to medical as usual.
I just know that the one group who has absolutely nothing to do with him not getting his meds were actual cops.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly, I have no idea how things work at their facility, but beyond reporting an issue to medical staff, I've never worked anywhere that gave me any say in what treatment, medication, or assessments an inmate did/did not receive.

We would report everything to medical, they would look the inmate up to verify the info as best they could.  They would decide who they needed to see, who they wanted to see, and who needed an ambulance ride out.  Every shift would get a list of inmates they HAD to see that shift, and then a list of inmates they would see if time permitted.  If there was an incident they would do an assessment on scene and decide if we needed to call for an ambulance or not.

Short of deliberately withholding information, there wouldn't be any way for me to change a situation what so ever.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Always 3 sides to the story; thems, youins & the truth.

Either way that’s effed up & the county is gonna pay…how much who knows but the lawyers will get their cut.

All of the OIC’s at our county’s jail would have cut that guy loose as soon as he was brought in…nobody wants to be on the hooks for the med cost and especially if it’s critical! Again what’s the WHOLE story.??
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

But often part of the same department and also sworn LE.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Possibly, I have no idea how things work at their facility, but beyond reporting an issue to medical staff, I've never worked anywhere that gave me any say in what treatment, medication, or assessments an inmate did/did not receive.

We would report everything to medical, they would look the inmate up to verify the info as best they could.  They would decide who they needed to see, who they wanted to see, and who needed an ambulance ride out.  Every shift would get a list of inmates they HAD to see that shift, and then a list of inmates they would see if time permitted.  If there was an incident they would do an assessment on scene and decide if we needed to call for an ambulance or not.

Short of deliberately withholding information, there wouldn't be any way for me to change a situation what so ever.
View Quote

Really?  If someone is telling you they are being withheld a med they need to not die all that you can do is tell one person?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Lawsuit…get paid and  get cop fired.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:02:10 AM EDT
[#39]
What in the actual fuck, just why?  Did they want to kill him or were they just that incompetent.  Either way they all need prison time for this level of stupid.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#40]
And we all know now that my dad’s rejection meds were the most expensive meds he took. So all this can be about is money.
View Quote

Yea, I wanna know more about this...So when you go to jail you tell them what you need or? they put your name into some state prescription database and verify your records or?  he needed the drug in his intake forms but then failed to administer?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally worth killing him by not providing needed meds.  I get it, the guy sounds like an ass, but that's not death penalty stuff
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#42]
All the dudes that run the jails in my area are sworn deputies and rotate out on the road so everyone gets a piece of the shit sandwich.  It's true for lots of little sheriff departments around here.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#43]
That's not the only jail that's denied meds and ignored the person stating they needed them. I know of seizure meds being denied. I understand that people claim they need meds to try and weasle out of the cell block but there should be guard to nurse communications and then actually look into the persons medical info
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And they were all too dumb to listen to the man begging for life-saving meds and realizing something was horribly wrong.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"cops don't decide what meds you get"
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And are this incapable of doing anything if something seems horribly out of whack.  I get it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And are this incapable of doing anything if something seems horribly out of whack.  I get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Once again, a cop bashing thread that does not involve cops. I guess that's not an important point to the usual GD crew.

Inmates are not just given drugs on their say so. They must be evaluated buy the jail staff doctor and given a prescription. That can take weeks.

I suggest you go whine at the local jail contract doctor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the medical equivalent of "Tell it to the Judge"?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
The correct answer but won't happen
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Suit?  Hell, you'd have people calling for them to be arrested for negligence.

They knew he needed the meds.
They knew he'd likely die without it.
They didn't give him the meds.

Seems pretty cut and dry the people responsible should be spending some time on the other side of the bars.
View Quote

Its not uncommon, unfortunately. Small jails have small budgets. Expensive meds are not purchased because they don't have the money to do it. Its bullshit, but its what happens.

In my world, its psych meds. There are a small percentage of folks that can only take brand name Zyprexa because of the difference in how the generic olanzapine is made.  Even when it is in their records, generic is all they will get from the local county jail because of the huge cost difference. I've heard the same of cardiac meds, immunosuppressants, and other high cost meds.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top