Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2022 11:36:48 AM EDT
D.B. Cooper investigator believes he has solved the decades-long mystery | FOX 13 Seattle

Red

To long did not watch....

studying the guys tie - tied him to a lab working on titanium metals...

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#2]
No synopsis?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

you better stop posting and start running
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No synopsis?
View Quote

Dang it man - give me two seconds....

LOL

Red
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I work in metals.   I'm a salesman.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#7]
This was already known before, some speculation he worked as a machinist or similar in aerospace due to the metals found in the tie. Wait...aren't there aerospace companies in the area?!?! Er. Mah. Gerd.

Didn't read link or anything outside of this thread but assuming that is what it is...it's not new news.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#8]
No Cliff Notes, no clickey.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Hasn't this been "solved" several times?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#10]
We all know it was Robert Rackstraw.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is another recent, comes in several parts:
D. B. Cooper Deep family Secrets. Part 1
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#12]
A smart man would put metals on his tie deliberately.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Richard McCoy Jr is your best suspect by about 5000%.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2022/11/new-db-cooper-suspect-revealed-through-lab-analysis-of-skyjackers-tie-just-in-time-for-coopercon.html

Attachment Attached File

Snippets from the news article:

The lab analysis found a variety of metals on the tie worn by DB Cooper, most notably a unique and rare titanium alloy that Ulis’ research indicates was produced by only one company: Crucible Steel – formerly Rem-Cru Titanium.

Ulis contacted the company, now known as Crucible Industries, tracked down former employees still alive who worked there in the 1960s and ‘70s, and traveled to Pittsburgh, where Crucible Steel was located. This led Ulis to the man he now believes was probably D.B. Cooper, the late Vince Petersen – yes, the same last name, with the exception of one letter, as his previous favorite suspect.

The guy’s theory goes out the window if DB Cooper bought the tie at a thrift shop or garage sale.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I watched the whole thing and the video ends while he's talking.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A smart man would put metals on his tie deliberately.
View Quote
Or even better, bought a tie at a thrift shop with cash.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
So far it seems every theory has been about as credible as this fictitious one.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Stupid video cut off before he finished. s
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Todd Snider "D.B. Cooper" Live at KDHX 01/13/2012
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
DB Cooper landed on Oak Island
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#22]

That’s a great Snider song, too bad about him passing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's a great Snider song, too bad about him passing.
View Quote
yeah, man.

he'll never get to be mayor of that post apocalyptic village in the PNW.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
DB Cooper landed on Oak Island
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is he the guy that did the same thing a year later and the FBI said he must be a copycat because there was something embarrassing for them if the guy had pulled it off twice?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

First I've heard of Todd dying.   Great lyrics in every song.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This was already known before, some speculation he worked as a machinist or similar in aerospace due to the metals found in the tie. Wait...aren't there aerospace companies in the area?!?! Er. Mah. Gerd.

Didn't read link or anything outside of this thread but assuming that is what it is...it's not new news.
View Quote

How would I know?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's a great Snider song, too bad about him passing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's where I'm at. Dan Gryder makes a very compelling case that it was him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's where I'm at. Dan Gryder makes a very compelling case that it was him.
View Quote

Unless his family is lying, it is Him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

you better stop posting and start running
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Or even better, bought a tie at a thrift shop with cash.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I thought I've seen a show where they found DNA on that tie and traced it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The guy's theory goes out the window if DB Cooper bought the tie at a thrift shop or garage sale.

View Quote

Watching the video, I kept waiting to hear that this Vince Peterson stopped coming to work just before the hijack. Surely someone would remember if a specialty metals researcher simply disappeared one day.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Yep, looks just like him.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey just FYI, the hotel thing is a trap. Bookies, bail bondsmen, snitches in county.... they're all in on it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I’ll take “Things we’ll never find out” for $500, Alex.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n87XGcOsFck

Red

To long did not watch....

studying the guys tie - tied him to a lab working on titanium metals...

View Quote

How about his cousin…DP Cooper!
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think it was McCoy or Ted Braden.  Braden was in MacVSog, deserted, and ended up being a career criminal.
View Quote
That's a really weird way to type that word out. It's an acronym not an abbreviation. Every letter stood for a new word.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  There is so much circumstantial evidence that points to him that it's almost one of those "duh" things.

However, there is so much embarrassment from agencies around admitting it was almost certainly him that they figure it best to just leave it as "unknown".
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#42]
This theory should be easily proven or disproven by the process of elimination.

FBI agents used several banks in the Seattle area to assemble the ransom. The money 10,000 unmarked twenty-dollar bills, most of which had serial numbers beginning with "L" (indicating issuance by the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco) was photographed on microfilm by the FBI.
View Quote

The FBI speculates Cooper did not survive his jump, for several reasons: the inclement weather on the night of the hijacking; Cooper's lack of proper skydiving equipment; his drop zone was a heavily wooded area; Cooper's apparent lack of detailed knowledge of his landing area; and the disappearance of the remaining ransom money, suggesting it was never spent.
View Quote

Using fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters from the Oregon Army National Guard, the FBI coordinated an aerial search along the entire flight path (known as Victor 23 in U.S. aviation terminology but "Vector 23" in most Cooper literature) from Seattle to Reno. Although numerous broken treetops and several pieces of plastic and other objects resembling parachute canopies were sighted and investigated, nothing relevant to the hijacking was found.
View Quote

On February 10, 1980, eight-year-old Brian Ingram was vacationing with his family on the Columbia River at a beachfront known as Tina (or Tena) Bar, about 9 miles (14 km) downstream from Vancouver, Washington, and 20 miles (32 km) southwest of Ariel. He uncovered three packets of the ransom cash totaling around $5,800 as he raked the sandy riverbank to build a campfire. The bills had disintegrated from lengthy exposure to the elements, but were still bundled in rubber bands. FBI technicians confirmed that the money was indeed a portion of the ransom: two packets of 100 twenty-dollar bills each, and a third packet of 90, all arranged in the same order as when given to Cooper.

The discovery launched several new rounds of conjecture and ultimately raised more questions than it answered. Initial statements by investigators and scientific consultants were founded on the assumption the bundled bills washed freely into the Columbia River from one of its many connecting tributaries. An Army Corps of Engineers hydrologist noted the bills had disintegrated in a "rounded" fashion and were "matted together", indicating they "had been deposited by river action", as opposed to having been deliberately buried. That conclusion, if correct, supported the opinion that Cooper had not landed near Lake Merwin nor any tributary of the Lewis River, which feeds into the Columbia well downstream from Tina Bar. It also lent credence to supplemental speculation the drop zone was near the Washougal River, which merges with the Columbia upstream from the discovery site.

The "free-floating" hypothesis presented difficulties; it did not explain the ten bills missing from one packet, nor was there a logical reason the three packets would have remained together after separating from the rest of the money. Physical evidence was incompatible with geological evidence: Himmelsbach wrote free-floating bundles would have washed up on the bank "within a couple of years" of the hijacking; otherwise the rubber bands would have long since deteriorated. Geological evidence suggested the bills arrived at Tina Bar after 1974, the year of a Corps of Engineers dredging operation on that stretch of the river. Geologist Leonard Palmer of Portland State University found two distinct layers of sand and sediment between the clay deposited on the riverbank by the dredge and the sand layer in which the bills were buried, indicating that the bills arrived long after dredging had been completed.

In late 2020, analysis of diatoms found on the bills suggests the bundles found at Tina Bar were not submerged in the river or buried dry at the time of the hijacking in November 1971. Only diatoms that bloom during springtime were found, placing the date range that the money entered the water at least several months after the hijacking.

In 1986, after protracted negotiations, the recovered bills were divided equally between Ingram and Northwest Orient's insurer Royal Globe Insurance; the FBI retained fourteen examples as evidence. Ingram sold fifteen of his bills at auction in 2008 for about $37,000. The Columbia River ransom money remains the only confirmed physical evidence from the hijacking found outside the aircraft.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

They wondered how the packs of bills moved and got deposited together?  They were frozen in a block of ice at one point and floated to that point.   The rubber bands failing were moot when it was a block of frozen bills.  Explains the tumbled rounded edges of the packs while the main surface area remained intact.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They wondered how the packs of bills moved and got deposited together?  They were frozen in a block of ice at one point and floated to that point.   The rubber bands failing were moot when it was a block of frozen bills.  Explains the tumbled rounded edges of the packs while the main surface area remained intact.
View Quote

That actually makes sense
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice doesn't float down the Columbia river.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am mildly surprised at that.  I live in northern NY, our rivers freeze most every year, spring melts come, raise the water levels, increase flow, lifts and breaks up the frozen surface, scours out the banks and the frozen chunks, debris, docks, trees and anything else near the banks gets flushed downstream.

I figured that you got similar weather being roughly on the same latitude with hills and mountains to feed the systems.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#48]
interesting
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Interesting info posted above. I remember when this happened and have spent a bunch of time in the Gifford Pinchot Nat. Forest in and around Ariel Washington. This was "known" as the area where DP jumped... But, those rivers flow into the Columbia downstream from Tena Bar. Washogal River would allow money to float down... In for more interesting details.

The Columbia last froze over in 1930.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I am mildly surprised at that.  I live in northern NY, our rivers freeze most every year, spring melts come, raise the water levels, increase flow, lifts and breaks up the frozen surface, scours out the banks and the frozen chunks, debris, docks, trees and anything else near the banks gets flushed downstream.

I figured that you got similar weather being roughly on the same latitude with hills and mountains to feed the systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The coastal climate of the non-mountainous areas of western Washington is very temperate. Between proximity to the stabilizing effect of the Pacific ocean/Strait of Juan de Fuca/Puget Sound, weather patterns that bring warmer air from the central Pacific area and the Cascade mountain range that blocks cold air from the interior, temperatures here are relatively stable and generally without significant swings one way or the other.

It’s pretty uncommon for lakes and especially moving bodies of water like creeks and rivers to freeze over here. Especially with ice thick enough to encapsulate several bundles of money.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top