Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2021 2:29:36 PM EDT

I bought this old camp stove many years ago and haven t used it in a long time.

Would this convert to a "forge" alright?

It's 17"L x 9.5"W x 10"H

Attachment Attached File

I'd like to start dabbling in some metal work. I came upon a free set of leaf springs and thought they would be good for beginner attempts for whatever.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything I know about forges I learned from watching people use them or make them on youtube.  Now that we know my qualifications, I wouldn't think that stove would work well, too small, and square.

I'd find a free or cheap keg on craigslist and build on that. You'd have a good stainless round body and a lid, with just one cut. Insulate interior with firebricks and refractory mortar and you're golden. Lots of how to videos.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say give it a try.
Line the inside with Koawool, put a firebrick floor down, add a couple of burners and go for it.

May have to cut a hole in the back for pass through, but the base is there...

Joat
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I was kinda worried about the size myself.

I took metal shop hmmmarrgh years ago in HS. I find I need new projects to fart around with to get the feel fir it again

Ill look for a keg. In the mean time I might try what I have.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top